Connection timeout

Hi, a week ago I started playing ark using Ark Server Manager with my friends but yesterday when I tried to make a server I was the only one that could connect because anyone else who tried connecting would get "Connection timeout", so another friend of mine tried making the server and again the same issue, he was the only one that could connect to the server and anyone else who tried connecting got "Connection timeout". I've tried to delete everything that had anything to do with Ark Server Manager and reintall it and nothing changed. If you have any fix I would like to hear it.

Hello! How are you?

I had this problem until this afternoon. I've just changed the MultiHome option at GameUserSettings. You can see in:
"YOUR_SERVER_FOLDER\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsServer > GameUserSettings". Scroll down at line:

[MultiHome]
MultiHome=True

and set it False

**Do it while your Ark Server Manager is closed**

After doing that, open your ASM, you'll notice that your server IP will be like this. DO NOT change it.

image.thumb.png.6de066eac1d16f1c2fcf40411f406870.png

Then, at Administration folder, check the box Enable Crossplay

image.thumb.png.5406a89c9b76feb5c51c193d9583bae0.png  (It is near Cross Ark option)

And add -crossplay at Server Args, just in case :)

It DID work for me. My EpicGames Ark friends weren't able to join my server before that and now we're playing without any problem, bug, lag, etc...

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, Stahnke said:

Hello! How are you?

I had this problem until this afternoon. I've just changed the MultiHome option at GameUserSettings. You can see in:
"YOUR_SERVER_FOLDER\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsServer > GameUserSettings". Scroll down at line:

[MultiHome]
MultiHome=True

and set it False

**Do it while your Ark Server Manager is closed**

After doing that, open your ASM, you'll notice that your server IP will be like this. DO NOT change it.

image.thumb.png.6de066eac1d16f1c2fcf40411f406870.png

Then, at Administration folder, check the box Enable Crossplay

image.thumb.png.5406a89c9b76feb5c51c193d9583bae0.png  (It is near Cross Ark option)

And add -crossplay at Server Args, just in case :)

It DID work for me. My EpicGames Ark friends weren't able to join my server before that and now we're playing without any problem, bug, lag, etc...

Hope this helps.

I've tried it and now I can't find my own server.

4 hours ago, Bianconeri said:

Thats because of Epic. You need to login through singeplayer. For your own server this will work. Not sure if other players for Epic client will be able to join @Stahnke

Do we know it's because of Epic? It seems to me Wildcard should be able to determine (either through command line on the server or setting) whether a server operator plans on having both LAN and WAN players. They added an argument for the WAN address for epic players (-PublicIPForEpic), so there should be a way to indicate you also want a LAN address for local players (-LocalIP or something) since it appears all servers register with a central server authority. Then the client can determine whether they are running locally (if they have the same WAN address they are on the same network) and use the LAN address to connect instead of the WAN address.

The reason it seems to be Epic at fault might be because Steam's API has the feature included so Wildcard didn't need to work out their own details.

1 hour ago, Tsudico said:

Do we know it's because of Epic? It seems to me Wildcard should be able to determine (either through command line on the server or setting) whether a server operator plans on having both LAN and WAN players. They added an argument for the WAN address for epic players (-PublicIPForEpic), so there should be a way to indicate you also want a LAN address for local players (-LocalIP or something) since it appears all servers register with a central server authority. Then the client can determine whether they are running locally (if they have the same WAN address they are on the same network) and use the LAN address to connect instead of the WAN address.

The reason it seems to be Epic at fault might be because Steam's API has the feature included so Wildcard didn't need to work out their own details.

Why Epic to blame? Because at the moment the Epic version is just horrible so it probably is Epic :P 

But running a server locally through your own network has pretty much no problems (though since the last update i seem to have troubles with ASM). I can connect with my own server locally, works fine. 

However someone else from outside, another network, trying to connect to my ASM network with Epic client (and he also on Epic client) will get a connection time out to host error. This only happens on Epic servers and clients. So yeah who else but Epic? You seem to always be able to join your own server (usually through singleplayer gamefile and then open ip) but others nope.

19 hours ago, Bianconeri said:

Why Epic to blame? Because at the moment the Epic version is just horrible so it probably is Epic :P 

But running a server locally through your own network has pretty much no problems (though since the last update i seem to have troubles with ASM). I can connect with my own server locally, works fine. 

However someone else from outside, another network, trying to connect to my ASM network with Epic client (and he also on Epic client) will get a connection time out to host error. This only happens on Epic servers and clients. So yeah who else but Epic? You seem to always be able to join your own server (usually through singleplayer gamefile and then open ip) but others nope.

That's not how software development works, neither how internet connection does too.

If you really wanted to make a sound argument, you could actually search for Epic Launchers update patches and compare them to Ark's lately.

The majority of the problems are happening during handshake or effective joining sessions. That, added to the vague and constant patch notes which either break or fix a lot of issues for a lot of players (just check the discord server, hundreds of timeout errors on dedicated and non-dedicated servers, nitrato and private alike, no kidding). Wildcard is surely doing their best, but this is far from others responsibility, all choices they make transferring this game to the platform were they own and not Epic's. The game is broken for Epic, Win10 and even console players.

They weren't ready to the migration and the customers are paying the price for their mistakes. If you build your game's connection all around one system, make sure you can use it on another before migrating. That's system development 101.

Archived