Crystal Isles has no good base spots

Chewytowel

Crystal Isles has no good base spots

All of the possible spots to build are pretty terrible.  There is little to no option unless you want to invest in a lot of spam and resources defending caves with 3/4 entrances.  While the map looks very nice and the wyverns are a fun addition to the game, I doubt many serious tribes will build here long term when there are far better building options.   I think they need to revisit this map or it might end up like Scorched Earth.

15 minutes ago, FREYAB said:

You are kidding right?  Crystal Isles has some awesome spots to build man :)  Are you sure you have opened the whole map?

I thought they were kidding as well.

I personally don't care for CI, too pretty and fluffy of a map for me. But it does have lots of cool spots for bases. Mod map authors focus on stuff like good building spots.

34 minutes ago, Chewytowel said:

Are you guys all building on PVE servers?  You can't be serious pvp players if you think this map has any really good spots.  Some are decent at best, and would require a lot of resources to hold.  Maybe for small tribes and MTS it might be passable with small little base spots it's okay and that's it.

Go watch another 

"TOP 10 BASE LOCATIONS" video

• 4 months later...

Top 10 base spot videos tend to be made by pve players new to pvp who think they know everything. Op is right crystal isles is trash and literally every tribe ive talked to plans to assault the maps once transfers open on xbox due to how easy they will be to take out. Bringing pve up in this topic is a mute point because base location doesnt matter in pve unless your on extinction, your bob stone castle is more than enough to stop things breaking in (unless your dumb enough to build near a giga spawn). Also the one dude who thinks pillars would be an issue to a pvp player needs to remember that pve is completely different to pvp. Crystal is trash. No one in their right mind would build in a multi entrance cave if they can help it (the point in taking a cave and suffering the 6x damage is to make up for it with a single choke point. Pillar bases and plats are only good on gen because no quetzal hatchframe so sucks on crystal. The only good 'caves' where non intentional ratholes, yet the devs decided to rage remove pretty much all these (wouldnt want crystal to become good now would you).

Crystal would be all right if they closed entrances on those tiny caves, including the weird hyena ones and made them single entrance then lowered the stupidly tall entrances they have on some caves. Reopened the ratholes and fixed their meshyness as well. They should also have at least one notable sized cave in each biome. The electric ice cave cave should have only the upper entrancen open, dragons entrance needs smaller and needs more consecutive choke points. The underwater element cave shouldnt be connected to other notable caves and only have its unique entrances. Bee cave i dont mind if its buildable or not. If it is tho it shouldnt have the element cave entrance. This one shouldnt have much in the ways of choke points as it is an op rescource. There needs to be more small caves and pillars out in the massive wasteland of a map crystal is as it is absolutely full of nothing between redwoods, volcano, floating islands , ice cave and wyvern spawns. Scorched gets away with being full of nothing as its supposed to be a desert and at least it has 3 caves of decent size, crack cave having a really good choke point and church having many chokepoints.

On my Single Player session, I've located 2 multi-tiered plateaus that made excellent bases; one in the White Shoals a bit south of the Green Obelisk, and the one labeled "The Tropics" just across the stream from Wanderer's Tail.  The multiple shelves work pretty well for me to separate my tames and space them out; hardly anything dangerous has spawned on "The Tropics" or the multi-shelf formation at the White Shoals.

If you're approaching this from a PvP point of view, then I cannot help you there; I loathe PvP with a passion and exclusively play on Single Player.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:56 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

Most of the people playing this game play PvE. The map seems to have that in mind.

How they do this on those overcrowded over spammed servers is beyond me.  If this map was more for the PVE crowd then cool I guess it works well for them.  As for PVP this is more a griefers map to build and hide on.

Archived