Baby xp farming question.

gamatron332

Baby xp farming question.

A couple of days ago a friend and I started to breed pteras. After several rounds of culling the weak and useless we saw that you can’t kill the unclaimed Dino’s. And even after claiming it a tamed Dino can’t kill the babies only the player. 

this is a problem because with all the useless Dino’s we want to do some leveling on our tamed Dino’s. Is there a way where we could use our tamed Dino’s to kill unclaimed baby Dino’s?

38 minutes ago, Thyme said:

If you’re playing pve you can’t hurt unclaimed babies, they count as tames still.

What you have to do is claim them and kill them while you’re tribemate sits on a dino. The tribe exp will be shared between them and their mount.

Dang I really wanted our Dino’s to kill them... sot hey still get the same amount of lvls? And can this be fixed somehow?

3 minutes ago, Piffguru said:

On PVE you can kill them with a wyvern breath. I used to do it a lot but I cant remember if it required being claimed or unclaimed but one of those works. What I do now is I just claim and cryo the ones I want to keep and let the others just starve and disappear naturally.

I want the xp for the animal killing said bbys

3 minutes ago, Piffguru said:

Gotcha, the more I think about it Im pretty sure you had to claim the babies before you kill them with the breath attack so you wouldnt get xp anyway from that.

Ahh thx. However. When I pick axe the claimed bbys to death I got 3 levels. It’s seems that this function is iffy

5 minutes ago, gamatron332 said:

Ahh thx. However. When I pick axe the claimed bbys to death I got 3 levels. It’s seems that this function is iffy

Maybe my memory is wrong on that but I didnt think you got xp from killing your own claimed dinos on pve. If so then the wyvern thing could work but if the idea was to level your dinos up then relegating it to just wyverns probably doesnt suite your purpose. My use of the wyvern was just to speed up the process of killing many babies and getting them out of the way so that doesnt help you sorry.

Edit: I also used to go around on xp farming runs to level dinos but now I just leave them in a cryo fridge for a couple days and they get like 50+ levels so I dont bother with the other more tedious methods

Just now, Piffguru said:

Maybe my memory is wrong on that but I didnt think you got xp from killing your own claimed dinos on pve. If so then the wyvern thing could work but if the idea was to level your dinos up then relegating it to just wyverns probably doesnt suite your purpose. My use of the wyvern was just to speed up the process of killing many babies and getting them out of the way so that doesnt help you sorry.

Ah well thx for the help I believe we’ll just be turning the server settings to pvp. Sad

1 minute ago, FraggleRock said:

I was wondering about this as well. I was going to go farm a bunch of Ice Wyvern eggs and do the same thing, kill the unclaimed babies for XP. Maybe that idea helps you. 

That was the idea use the unwanted babies for leveling our usable Dino’s. It doesn’t seem to work

4 minutes ago, Castlerock said:
15 minutes ago, gamatron332 said:
Yeah should be... however it seems to do no damage when we try and hit the baby ptera with our carno

Only dinos that do friendly fire will work, like wyvern or basilisk breath attack.

And I’ve seen accounts of it being done. @Cymas does it to level her boss rexes!

If you change your settings to pvp you can kill the unclaimed dino's with your dino's or by yourself.

As a matter of fact if your maturation is high enough meat eaters can survive in the wild if they are attacked and kill and eat the dino since they are born on attacking target. They will likewise attack you if you attack them grown.

5 hours ago, gamatron332 said:

And I’ve seen accounts of it being done. @Cymas does it to level her boss rexes!

I have PVP settings on in my single player, that's how I do it. As far as I know it's the only practical way to achieve this result and as long as you're only playing with friends/people you trust it shouldn't be a problem to leave it on. I actually picked up this little trick from Syntac.

1 hour ago, Cymas said:

I have PVP settings on in my single player, that's how I do it. As far as I know it's the only practical way to achieve this result and as long as you're only playing with friends/people you trust it shouldn't be a problem to leave it on. I actually picked up this little trick from Syntac.

So will pvp settings mesh with cryos? 

That's the downside. Cryo timers can only be disabled in PVE. But it's pretty easy to work around. In single player you don't have to worry about sharing/blocking anything so I'll go bring my army wherever it needs to go, throw them all out and let them sleep the sickness off while I do whatever prep needs to be done. By the time I'm ready to do the actual fight they're all awake. The time saved in being able to easily level up whatever I need is well worth the extra 20-30 minutes it takes the army to wake up at the teleporter.

Archived