Gethostname Failed () issue

Tobbstar

Gethostname Failed () issue

Hi,

Currently i am running 3 server from my own connection.

I have a seperate machine that has both been in DMZ and with port forwarding, still all 3 servers gives me this error.

i can only connect via my LAN to the server that starts first after that i get Timeout error and even when i transfer between the servers ingame.

Other players from outside my network seem to have no issues.

Ive read that several players have the same issues and seems related with changes that happend recently when crossplay was introduced.

Anyone else having this issue and a potential fix not workaround.

One workaround i have heard is that you can use a VPN to mask your IP for me to be able to connect.

Gethostname.thumb.PNG.6af59402152c3900cbc420bcfff4dffa.PNG

All my servers report that error, and I can connect to them all on the LAN.
WC need to remove that error message as it just seems to mis-lead people.

OR they need to report the host name they're trying to get the IP address of, to give some meaning to the message.

Some routers don't like port-forwarding and DMZ at the same time.   Turn your DMZ off, it's not safe.

Post an image of your port-forwarding setup.  Someone might spot the problem.

13 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

All my servers report that error, and I can connect to them all on the LAN.
WC need to remove that error message as it just seems to mis-lead people.

OR they need to report the host name they're trying to get the IP address of, to give some meaning to the message.

Some routers don't like port-forwarding and DMZ at the same time.   Turn your DMZ off, it's not safe.

Post an image of your port-forwarding setup.  Someone might spot the problem.

Ive run several servers before this one and none has ever given me that issue.

And ive done both only DMZ and only port forwarding and as a last ditch attempt thinking it might be something wrong with my router i did both still same issue.

Ive read several post claiming that removing Rawsocket fixed their issues but mine isn't even enabled.

And the fact that you can join every server u have on your local LAN makes it even more strange since we can only join 1.

Ive submitted a bug report and maybe if more people do they will put some focus on this issue.

Also read that the host Havoc.com was having issues maybe WC will take this more seriously when they start costing companies money.

I think the problem is caused by WC enabling bRawSockets by default now, where most people previously ran their servers without it.

For each server you run, whatever setting you have for ?port=xxxx?, you'll need to spread your port numbers out because each server uses the number you specify and the next number up.

For example, I have port=7777 on one server, and port=7779 on another.  So I've forwarded UDP 7777, 7778, 7779 and 7780  as well as the query ports.

Ive looked into the patch notes and saw this.

7 days ago when this issue started for some people they changed the net code.

And 5 days after that they re implemented "load balacing" to ark servers maybe these are some at fault.

v311.99 - 06/16/2020

Re-implemented Multihome server functionality

311.78 - 06/11/2020

Disabled bRawSockets as they no longer function with the new game networking code

This is a basic error i also get when starting my server. Lots of too complicated talk above lol. What can this problem possibly give?

My server seems to work fine for myself. The only problem i experience is that a friend can not connect to my server. We both use Epic Games version. Is that related to this error? (if so knowing how to fix it is welcome :) )

Archived