Finally got lucky.....

FlagrantVagrant

Finally got lucky.....

i'm sure this may not impress the veteran ARK players, but, since i play solo and still new to the game I've constantly wondered how the heck I would ever tame either a Tapejara or an Argentavis by myself.  Do i build a trap of sorts, if so how, how do get a Tapejara from it's sky high circling alone?  How do I lock down an argentavis?

While meandering around the western side of The Island, I found a lvl 20 Tape on the ground stuck in the trees, so jumping down, then being put to sleep by a couple troodons, I tranq''d it and started taming it.  Then 2 Argentavis were hanging around uncomfortably close.  Since they are carrion feeders I didn't know if they viewed the Tape as a meal.  The orange and black lvl 16 argentavis circled then moved away.  A second lvl 6 Arg landed in front of me, I got scared and panick-shot it in the head from a crossbow, then it got stuck in a couple trees.  So by the 4th shot it started flying away, dropped out of sight unconscious, only to be 30 feet from me.  So i was able to get that at the same time.

Of all the times I curse the piss-poor pathing of tamed creatures, this is one time said pathing helped.

tapearg.thumb.jpg.e7b57f332d56ab39c3b6b1cf83e2d1b3.jpg

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, FlagrantVagrant said:

Finally got lucky.....

i'm sure this may not impress the veteran ARK players, but, since i play solo and still new to the game I've constantly wondered how the heck I would ever tame either a Tapejara or an Argentavis by myself.  Do i build a trap of sorts, if so how, how do get a Tapejara from it's sky high circling alone?  How do I lock down an argentavis?

While meandering around the western side of The Island, I found a lvl 20 Tape on the ground stuck in the trees, so jumping down, then being put to sleep by a couple troodons, I tranq''d it and started taming it.  Then 2 Argentavis were hanging around uncomfortably close.  Since they are carrion feeders I didn't know if they viewed the Tape as a meal.  The orange and black lvl 16 argentavis circled then moved away.  A second lvl 6 Arg landed in front of me, I got scared and panick-shot it in the head from a crossbow, then it got stuck in a couple trees.  So by the 4th shot it started flying away, dropped out of sight unconscious, only to be 30 feet from me.  So i was able to get that at the same time.

Of all the times I curse the piss-poor pathing of tamed creatures, this is one time said pathing helped.

Enjoy the victories, big and small, no matter your experience.

Sometimes, experience leads to playing the meta, and not playing the game; enjoy the game.

One trick for tapejaras in the future, use rare flowers to make them aggro and attack you for a short period of time. They'll chase you and you can keep spamming the flowers to lure them into a trap. Just be careful because everything else will chase you too lol. Sadly it does not work on quetz so you won't be able to get one that way.

Good job getting two fliers, and I see you already have a ptera. One of my personal Ark rules is to always have at least two of anything that flies, swims or climbs. That way if you lose one you can go back and rescue it. Or abandon it to its fate if need be lol.

Taming an argent seemed so daunting when I was new, but I knew I needed one. I was level sixty and lived in a small beach hut, and my best mount was a ptera. I watched some videos, and found a good trap, and I'm SO glad I did it. Tamed a crappy level five with raw meat (lol) and that bird is the sole reason I don't live in a shack on the beach anymore. After getting him, I began moving up through the game. I made a new base on a cliffside that I still inhabit and don't plan on leaving. He ended up getting to level 40-something before his reign was ended in an awful incident involving cryosickness while bouncing between him and a pteranodon to try to tame a second argent.

The argy that killed him, I ended up taming, and while she was level 9 in the wild, also meat tamed, she is now 73 (I think). His name was Angry Bird, and I decided to put a spin on it that sounded cool, and reflected my total rage at losing him: Fury. I've more or less forgiven Fury, as she's carried me across the Island and helped me just as much as him, although I still miss him. She's getting so valuable that I'm thinking about getting a new "main" argent, just so I know she'll be safe. So yeah... that's my story. Congrats on your argent, they are game-changing.

1 hour ago, Cymas said:

use rare flowers to make them aggro and attack you for a short period of time. They'll chase you and you can keep spamming the flowers to lure them into a trap.

But I can use that to lure those that are sometimes flying/circling above everything else?  If i fly into a trap, will it attack my flyer once i get into the trap or will it just focus on me?

@FlagrantVagrant Yes you can, you just need to be on a bird to get close enough for the flower to work. In my experience once I jump off the bird it will keep attacking the bird but I also usually just run out of the trap and tranq it from the outside. Once the flower wears off it goes back to trying to fly away anyway so you/your bird shouldn't take too much damage. I do recommend a relatively high HP argent though, if you're kiting a high level a long way. I dragged one halfway across The Island once lol.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:49 PM, FlagrantVagrant said:

Finally got lucky.....

tapearg.thumb.jpg.e7b57f332d56ab39c3b6b1cf83e2d1b3.jpg

Just remember to regularly make sacrifices to the Ark gods to thank them for the time you get lucky, or they'll turn on you.  I recommend sacrificing an underperforming tribe-mate.  

Archived