worst map ever

ChrisGamingYT

worst map ever

the textures are fugly, ark 2015 fugly

the colors are cringey, barbieworld cringey

the one and only new dino, while useful, feels like a lazy reskin of tapejara, and is reminiscent of all these low end palette swap mods

meanwhile there are maps like AMISSA and OLYMPUS which are a thousand times better and they picked this garbage map instead *SHAKE MY HEAD*

whoever at WILDCARD picked this map really doesn't know anything about ARK mods and really just did a lazy and shallow look around, screw that

Spoiler

Yeah - there is something flat about the lighting and foliage colors: it seems like they were trying to go with vibrant, but it doesn't quite come together in my opinion.  It is kind of like an unrealistic looking Island clone with bad lighting, bad colors, floating bits and glowing bits.  Not the worst map ever, but I don't think this will be in my rotation unless I get desperate.

On 6/15/2020 at 12:04 AM, ChrisGamingYT said:

worst map ever

the one and only new dino, while useful, feels like a lazy reskin of tapejara, and is reminiscent of all these low end palette swap mods

meanwhile there are maps like AMISSA and OLYMPUS which are a thousand times better and they picked this garbage map instead *SHAKE MY HEAD*

whoever at WILDCARD picked this map really doesn't know anything about ARK mods and really just did a lazy and shallow look around, screw that

both these maps you suggested are 100 times worse than crystal isles loololol.utter trash hahaha my opinion lol ;) lol ur linking trailers to the maps rofl they do not look like that ingame haha at all...amissa is a unfinished pile o poo holes for years in the mesh barren bioms/over spawns lol list goes on...Olympus is in the same boat lol

On 6/15/2020 at 6:04 AM, ChrisGamingYT said:

worst map ever

both these maps you suggested are 100 times worse than crystal isles loololol.utter trash hahaha my opinion lol ;) lol ur linking trailers to the maps rofl they do not look like that ingame haha at all...amissa is a unfinished pile o poo holes for years in the mesh barren bioms/over spawns lol list goes on...Olympus is in the same boat lol

On 6/20/2020 at 1:01 PM, Lycan187u said:

both these maps you suggested are 100 times worse than crystal isles loololol.utter trash hahaha my opinion lol ;) lol ur linking trailers to the maps rofl they do not look like that ingame haha at all...amissa is a unfinished pile o poo holes for years in the mesh barren bioms/over spawns lol list goes on...Olympus is in the same boat lol

I do not know how long it will be since you have not played Olympus, they updated it in March of this year and I finished it a few weeks ago, not a glitch, it is spectacular.

16 hours ago, GP said:

well it's free

I don't recall starting this thread to talk about the price of this map

a "volunteer moderator" should try to post on topic and not derail a thread

this thread is about this map being the worst, laziest, ugliest official map yet, and how better community maps have been overlooked for this fugly mess of a map

"it's free" is a terrible defense when the community consensus is WILDCARD needs to stop adding more unfinished content and fix core problems instead, that is hundreds of major game breaking bugs

21 hours ago, ChrisGamingYT said:

this thread is about this map being the worst, laziest, ugliest official map yet, and how better community maps have been overlooked for this fugly mess of a map

"it's free" is a terrible defense when the community consensus is WILDCARD needs to stop adding more unfinished content and fix core problems instead, that is hundreds of major game breaking bugs

Moderator was trying to be nice. Saying why are you complaining about something that cost you nothing and if you don't like it don't play on it.

Very valid point that I agree with. Lots of people love this map. It looks great on max settings that I play it with. It is much improved over the mod version of the map in many ways.

Doesn't seem unfinished at all. Take your old argument and put it somewhere it makes sense. I'll let you decide where that is.

On 6/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, ChrisGamingYT said:

If you don't like it , go back to fortnite then . 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe we were just spoiled by Ragnarok, which is still one of our cluster's favorite maps. But Ragnarok for example has had three years of active tweaking and refinement which has set the bar really high for free DLC's in ark. Sure there are things that could have been done better for CI and I am sure will be improved. The players on our cluster are really divided about the aesthetics, which usually means that they are actually fine (I don't like some of them, fyi). @ChrisGamingYT your controversial subject has captured attention, but maybe it's more productive to focus on specifics and start a bug discussion on each item you think needs improvement. It's what the rest of us do.

4 hours ago, singalty said:

but maybe it's more productive to focus on specifics and start a bug discussion on each item you think needs improvement. It's what the rest of us do.

I have filed many reports about major game breaking glitches (overspawn problems, mesh problems, texture problems, etc...) and they never got fixed. I don't trust the ticket system of wildcard anymore, any report we make is going directly to the trash. They don't seem to care about the community feedback apart from a few friends they have in mega tribes.

2 hours ago, ChrisGamingYT said:

I have filed many reports about major game breaking glitches (overspawn problems, mesh problems, texture problems, etc...) and they never got fixed. I don't trust the ticket system of wildcard anymore, any report we make is going directly to the trash. They don't seem to care about the community feedback apart from a few friends they have in mega tribes.

Thinks the ticket system doesn't work well so comes here to trash the forum system of sharing problems and bugs.

A lot of us read the bug reports. Me personally, I read them to find out what is broken and to read about and use work-arounds when needed. I also like to read about useful techniques and other interesting things to help me play the game. I've read this post, but I think it contains 0% useful content for my purposes.

Yea, It's not great, that's for sure.

Someone who's never designed a video game or even made a map before, created Crystal Isle, and it shows. Her last edit on the map was back in Oct of 2019, SHE, broke a bunch of stuff on her own map and basically abandoned it. You can go to the mod listed in the workshop to see it's last update. After that date, it sat and fixed. And because Wild Card is awesome and wanted to give away another free map, Crystal Isle was really their only option as there is no other map that's anywhere near useable for release.

I know what you're gonna say. Olympus,Volcano,ect ect ect. They are good maps, no doubt, but there isn't enough on those maps to stand up with Valguero and Ragnarok.

The chick that made this map is the one we should be blaming. They actually hired her awhile back for the Atlas game, LOL, it's all starting to make sense now right? :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 5:16 PM, heyitsnick said:

Yea, It's not great, that's for sure.

Someone who's never designed a video game or even made a map before, created Crystal Isle, and it shows. Her last edit on the map was back in Oct of 2019, SHE, broke a bunch of stuff on her own map and basically abandoned it. You can go to the mod listed in the workshop to see it's last update. After that date, it sat and fixed. And because Wild Card is awesome and wanted to give away another free map, Crystal Isle was really their only option as there is no other map that's anywhere near useable for release.

I know what you're gonna say. Olympus,Volcano,ect ect ect. They are good maps, no doubt, but there isn't enough on those maps to stand up with Valguero and Ragnarok.

The chick that made this map is the one we should be blaming. They actually hired her awhile back for the Atlas game, LOL, it's all starting to make sense now right? :)

A lot of people love Crystal Islands, though.  So, it's not universally true that ISO is bad. You can't please everyone. 

And I doubt ISO is responsible for Atlas failing.  If ISO is involved in map design, Atlas looks pretty good. 

On 7/20/2020 at 1:21 AM, Zeldei said:

A lot of people love Crystal Islands, though.  So, it's not universally true that ISO is bad. You can't please everyone. 

And I doubt ISO is responsible for Atlas failing.  If ISO is involved in map design, Atlas looks pretty good. 

Yes, you can't please everyone. I recall that she noticed this too, and found it quite demotivating. The map would probably have been done quicker if she didn't get so much non-constructive feedback about it. If the map isn't your cup of tea, well then, don't sip it. It is a very different style of map than most.

I personally love Crystal Isles, the beauty of it. Also it looks in some ways more natural and less artificial than some of the other maps. I don't like how many bugs it has, but now that it is an official map, I'm thinking those will be fixed over the course of the next year.

I don't like all of Crystal Isles though. I don't like how dark Eldritch Isle is and the constant sound affects you hear in that area. I think the sinister feel could have been achieved in a way that isn't so annoying (at least to me it is).

On 7/20/2020 at 1:28 PM, wildbill said:

Yes, you can't please everyone. I recall that she noticed this too, and found it quite demotivating. The map would probably have been done quicker if she didn't get some much non-constructive feedback about it. If the map isn't your cup of tea, well then, don't sip it. It is a very different style of map than most.

I personally love Crystal Isles, the beauty of it. Also it looks in some ways more natural and less artificial than some of the other maps. I don't like how many bugs it has, but now that it is an official map, I'm thinking those will be fixed over the course of the next year.

I don't like all of Crystal Isles though. I don't like how dark Eldritch Isle is and the constant sound affects you hear in that area. I think the sinister feel could have been achieved in a way that isn't so annoying (at least to me it is).

So far, my most pressing issue about the map is the size. It's too big, and this seems a bizarre trend among mod maps. Everyone's trying to outdo each other on map size, and it always has the same problem. Takes ages to get anywhere. And there seems to be vast swaths of the map devoid of much life.  It's got the opposite problem of Genesis' ocean biome.  Center had this problem too with oceans in particular, but in CI the dead zones are everywhere.  

But ya, it's not a perfect map. I wish it had more engaging cave-endgame and more than just 1 boss arena, but oh well.  It's a good map to cluster with another, I think. 

7 hours ago, Zeldei said:

So far, my most pressing issue about the map is the size. It's too big, and this seems a bizarre trend among mod maps. Everyone's trying to outdo each other on map size, and it always has the same problem. Takes ages to get anywhere. And there seems to be vast swaths of the map devoid of much life.  It's got the opposite problem of Genesis' ocean biome.  Center had this problem too with oceans in particular, but in CI the dead zones are everywhere.  

But ya, it's not a perfect map. I wish it had more engaging cave-endgame and more than just 1 boss arena, but oh well.  It's a good map to cluster with another, I think. 

Yes, not a bad map when you play it on an unofficial in a cluster and with the right mods. You will really want a teleport mod with this one, that is how I play it.

You can't get all the Tek unlocked with the one arena. I found that disappointing so I've done one other boss fight on the Island to unlock some of the Tek I didn't have. I've also had to go to Ragnarok to get a decent pump shotgun BP. I've yet to find a decent saddle BP for the Megatherium, but they might not exist.

5 hours ago, wildbill said:

Yes, not a bad map when you play it on an unofficial in a cluster and with the right mods. You will really want a teleport mod with this one, that is how I play it.

You can't get all the Tek unlocked with the one arena. I found that disappointing so I've done one other boss fight on the Island to unlock some of the Tek I didn't have. I've also had to go to Ragnarok to get a decent pump shotgun BP. I've yet to find a decent saddle BP for the Megatherium, but they might not exist.

If you want saddles, I'd recommend Genesis. I got loot for days doing dodo ball and other missions. In bulk. Saddles galore. 

1 minute ago, Zeldei said:

If you want saddles, I'd recommend Genesis. I got loot for days doing dodo ball and other missions. In bulk. Saddles galore. 

Ah. The cluster I play on has Genesis, but I've yet to buy that DLC.

I have to admit, the strange way they sell these DLCs, in something called a "season pass" has baffled me. Why can't I buy it for like $25 like I did scorched earth? And DILO I'm I getting when I fork over $34.99? I have no idea, so I've stayed away from it.

The way they marketed it too, like it was some big mysterious thing. I buy something for what it is, not for the mystery of it. Maybe I need to read up on it, probably is very well explained now, but when it first came out, it made no sense to me.

I recall it being part I or something too. Can I buy the whole thing now, and not get just some part of it? Scorched Earth never seemed finished the whole time I played it, still doesn't. Didn't want to repeat that again.

The cluster I play on also has Valguero, which I think has some of the Genesis stuff, or maybe it is the Extinction stuff. I stopped playing ARK for over a year and have totally lost track of what is going on. Only started playing it again regularly when Crystal Isles was released.

On 7/22/2020 at 6:35 PM, wildbill said:

Ah. The cluster I play on has Genesis, but I've yet to buy that DLC.

I have to admit, the strange way they sell these DLCs, in something called a "season pass" has baffled me. Why can't I buy it for like $25 like I did scorched earth? And DILO I'm I getting when I fork over $34.99? I have no idea, so I've stayed away from it.

The way they marketed it too, like it was some big mysterious thing. I buy something for what it is, not for the mystery of it. Maybe I need to read up on it, probably is very well explained now, but when it first came out, it made no sense to me.

I recall it being part I or something too. Can I buy the whole thing now, and not get just some part of it? Scorched Earth never seemed finished the whole time I played it, still doesn't. Didn't want to repeat that again.

The cluster I play on also has Valguero, which I think has some of the Genesis stuff, or maybe it is the Extinction stuff. I stopped playing ARK for over a year and have totally lost track of what is going on. Only started playing it again regularly when Crystal Isles was released.

Its been said in plain english since the beginning, the season pass is you buying 2 maps genesis 1 and 2. They are only selling genesis as a pack, so when you buy the pass you get genesis 1 thats currently out and will get genesis 2 when it comes out at a later date.

And no valguero has no genesis stuff in it, it has island/scorched/aberration stuff.

Archived