Dunkleosteus Taming

ArkLover7891

• Volunteer Moderator
13 minutes ago, ArkLover7891 said:

Dunkleosteus Taming

Hello everyone! I have recently been thinking about getting this creature to collect oil, and I was wondering how to tame them. I could find any videos on YouTube or anything, so I’m out of luck so far.

Some info might help.  Map you are on, your level, what resourses/weapons/tools you have a available.

Do you have an Ichthyosaurus? 

With an Ichthy, you can shoot from the safety of the mount (so long as you don't let the Dunk kill it).   But, Dunks are slow, so it is possible to tame them by just out swimming them; assuming you are using scuba or similar.  And, if I recall correctly, they will not come above a certain depth, like Mosa and Plesios.

Do you have access to Harpoon Launcher and Tranq Spears, or just Crossbows and Tranq Arrows?  For a high level dunk, I would bring enough crossbows and arrows for about 300 shots (you should not need that many, but you could need 264 for a 150, based on a 100% Crossbow.

Dunks take reduced damage, so it take a lot more hits to take them out.  With a crossbow, there is a risk of killing a high level Dunk if they have low health.

And, if you have it, you will want to use Superior Kibble(or better).  Mutton also works, but you will lose TE.

Another way to tame them it to build a taming trap on the ocean floor with pillars, ceilings, and a dino door (I believe they fit through those).  Ceiling does not have to be solid, can be ever other row.

If you have a good Tuso, that also works, and is safer that crossbow.

If you can lure them to a where you can get out of the water, such as an underwater cave, then that opens up using a Long Rifle and Tranq Darts.

1 hour ago, ArkLover7891 said:

Dunkleosteus Taming

Hello everyone! I have recently been thinking about getting this creature to collect oil, and I was wondering how to tame them. I could find any videos on YouTube or anything, so I’m out of luck so far.

they are a fairly easy and typical tame job...….best advice is crossbow, 100 tranq arrows just in case its a high level, and kibble for those high levels. If your feeling fancy, you can bait them into a trap. Just use a couple behemoth gates and an ichy to lure it into place. This way you can keep it safe while its taming up.
Other than that, its no different than from a megladon

13 hours ago, Jerryn said:

Some info might help.  Map you are on, your level, what resourses/weapons/tools you have a available.

Do you have an Ichthyosaurus? 

With an Ichthy, you can shoot from the safety of the mount (so long as you don't let the Dunk kill it).   But, Dunks are slow, so it is possible to tame them by just out swimming them; assuming you are using scuba or similar.  And, if I recall correctly, they will not come above a certain depth, like Mosa and Plesios.

Do you have access to Harpoon Launcher and Tranq Spears, or just Crossbows and Tranq Arrows?  For a high level dunk, I would bring enough crossbows and arrows for about 300 shots (you should not need that many, but you could need 264 for a 150, based on a 100% Crossbow.

Dunks take reduced damage, so it take a lot more hits to take them out.  With a crossbow, there is a risk of killing a high level Dunk if they have low health.

And, if you have it, you will want to use Superior Kibble(or better).  Mutton also works, but you will lose TE.

Another way to tame them it to build a taming trap on the ocean floor with pillars, ceilings, and a dino door (I believe they fit through those).  Ceiling does not have to be solid, can be ever other row.

If you have a good Tuso, that also works, and is safer that crossbow.

If you can lure them to a where you can get out of the water, such as an underwater cave, then that opens up using a Long Rifle and Tranq Darts.

I’m around level 83 so I would have access to most of the weapons. I was planning on taking an itchy if needed. I might actually just build a trap for it like the person suggested. I’m also on the island.

Archived