SteamSocketsOpenSource: gethostname failed ()

SteamSocketsOpenSource: gethostname failed ()

I'm trying to setup a dedicated server, and am running into an error. There is already an extensive thread in Steam about this issue, but none of the 'fixes' have worked for me.

[2020.06.13-15.19.37:397][  0]ARK Version: 311.87
[2020.06.13-15.19.37:397][  0]PID: 3844
[2020.06.13-15.20.30:940][  0]Primal Game Data Took 51.12 seconds
[2020.06.13-15.20.35:140][  0]SteamSocketsOpenSource: gethostname failed ()    <------------ HERE
[2020.06.13-15.20.35:140][  0]gethostbyname failed ()
[2020.06.13-15.21.14:412][  0]bEnableMeshBitingProtection is True

I've opened ports in my hosting Win10 firewall, and finally disabled the firewall all together, and the error still shows up. Any ideas whats going on?

After posting this my friends and I realized the server was actually still running and we were able to connect. We did find that the server didn't always show up the list of non-official servers, though, without a hitting refresh a few times. We also realized we needed to check the box to show servers with passwords. There's so many poor decisions in the this UI, the devs need to re think it.

Devs, here's a couple things that would help here:

1. Allow users to directly enter the name of the server, or the IP, without having to use the Unofficial server list.

2. Default "Show servers with passwords" to checked after install.

3. Figure out why servers don't always show in the Unofficial server list if you're going to insist on forcing user to use it.

• 4 weeks later...

You CAN conenct directly to your favorite servers in Ark, from outside Ark. I run a gaming clan and I have had to help many members due to the poor connection options in Ark. Here are my directions for creating an icon (shortcut) on your desktop to connect to ANY server. You may make one of these for each of your servers if you wish to. Hope it helps.

1. Right-click on your desktop or wherever you want the shortcut and choose New->Shortcut
  2. In the "Item Location" textbox, enter the direct link to your server (shown below)
  3. Click the "Next" button and name the shortcut, such as "My Island Server" or "My Genesis Server"
  4. Click the "Finish" button
  5. Optional, you can set the icon to the Ark icon by browsing to the "ShooterGame.exe" bianry and selecting it

The location link is in the format "steam://connect/<ip/hostname>:<query port>". For example, if I was running an Ark server on the IP address 123.456.789.1 and using the default query port (27015) the location would be "steam://connect/123.456.789.1:27015" without the quotation marks. The beauty of this type of link however, is that you may use hostnames as well, so those of you using DynDNS or something similar can use your hostname so clients can find your server(s) even when your IP address changes. You can do this by entering the location like "steam://connect/my.dyndns.org:27015" and simplifying things.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Archived