Epic Game Launcher does not launch ARK

Sakutera

Epic Game Launcher does not launch ARK

I can press "Launch" on ark in my EG library, i hear the launch game sound for 2 second, no windows pop up or anything, and the game stops, no message, no logs, nothing, and in library it goes back from Running to ">Launch"

I verified files, reinstalled ark, fully uninstalled/reinstalled EG + Ark, same issue comes back

I tried Fortnite after that and it launches fine.

My steam version works fine. Obviously i closed steam during/before all above.

Is there an unmentioned prerequisite program / driver etc for ark on Epic that get's side-loaded by too many other programs already that it was not noted? I got a pretty fresh installed pc without bloatware etc.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Epic launch of the game throws a module error.  (EOSOVH-Win64-Shipping.dll)

What seemed to resolve it for me was:

Go to the install directory, (mine was "X:\Games\Epic Games\ARKSurvivalEvolved\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64" )

find the shootergame.exe file, 

right click and select properties,

click on the compatibility tab,

click the change for all users button

put a checkmark in "disable fullscreen optimizations"

Reboot system.

For reference sakes I'm on a 3900x and a 1080ti

N01

Capture.PNG

18 minutes ago, LucyGaming said:

didnt work with that above

I'm sorry to hear that. As soon as I did that it started working for me. I just went and unchecked it and restarted and it is back to not launching and logging those module errors again. So it is a confirmed fix for for my issue.

Must be multiple issues with it then.

N01

@Awienthat's kinda my suspect from start; ark assumes they are already installed since maybe a lot of other programs side-install those. But on a clean pc they won't be.

Are there different versions? Which one do i need to get and where?

I found that when you install ARK on Steam, steam will install "Steamworks Shared". This folder contains the 2010/2012/2013 versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist

Looks like ARK for Epic Game Launcher requires a different / newer version(?) and on Epic it is not checked (yet) if you have the required version. Actually, maybe it checks for 2010/2012/2013, but the Epic version requires later?

I'll try getting the latest and update here after.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

I Had similar problems loading in epic but came across this post https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption2/comments/dwlyc2/another_mouse_cursor_glitch_fix_hidden_epic/  . So I tried removing the files suggested except I had 6 files instead of 4  move to new folder to try it out just for random trouble shooting and the game loaded. the files to move are in epic folder.   :\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Extras\Overlay. files to move to new folder or delete.

EOSOverlayRenderer-Win32-Shipping.exe

EOSOverlayRenderer-Win64-Shipping.exe

EOSOverlayVkLayer-Win32.json

EOSOverlayVkLayer-Win64.json

EOSOVH-Win32-Shipping.dll

EOSOVH-Win64-Shipping.dll

Hi!

Same Problem here.

Installed without issues. On Startup I can hear 1-2 seconds music and it crashes without a message.

What I tried so far:

.) Installed latest C++ redistributions

.) removed and reinstalled the Epic Launcher

.) Verified Installation within Epic Launcher

.) Disabled Fullscreen optimizations

.) Installed DLC (was hoping for a inbuild patch)

.) removed and reinstalled ARK

.) Latest Graphicsdriver installed.

.) Frags is not (has never been) installed

Any other Game in Epic I own works flawlessly.

My Config:

CPU: Intel i7-7700K@4.20GHz

RAM 32GB

Grafics: Nvidia 1070

Win 10 Pro 1909

Win Build: 18363.900

Suggestions welcome.

THX!

Same problem here. I found that if I temporarily moved the Config folder from \Epic Games\ARKSurvivalEvolved\ShooterGame then I at least get a splash screen and some actual error codes. Don't know if this is helpful at all, or if it's a new problem related to the fact that I hid the config folder during launch. :)

Edit: And if I keep the config folder, open up DefaultEngine.ini and delete the line "DefaultPlatformService=SteamEOSComposite" under OnlineSubsystem then the game is even showing me the loading screen before crapping out.

@nosystemworks

Good work, I get the same response for your OP - splash screen with error page.

Edit: Wow - how did you manage to manage to narrow it down to "DefaultPLatrofmService=SteamEOSComposite" ???  Didn't try this - but assume would result in the same response.

Hopefully you are onto something there....

24 minutes ago, NeoDudus said:

Wow - how did you manage to manage to narrow it down to "DefaultPLatrofmService=SteamEOSComposite" ???

I removed one folder at a time from the install until the game did something other than just silently crash. Then I put the folder back and removed one file at a time from that folder until I got the same result. When the file was identified I opened it up in Notepad++ and did the same thing with the code. One segment at a time until I got the same result, then one line at a time until the single line was identified.

Now, I'm pretty sure removing things like this isn't really fixing anything other than introducing other problems, but since the game can load a bit further before displaying the "new" problem it seems like it is related in some way. With the DefaultPlatformService line removed the game both gives me a splash screen and is running enough to give me an entry in the task manager and even make it to the loading screen before the new crash. Makes me suspect there's a problem with how the Epic Games version of Ark is talking to Steam. But then again, a lot of people haven't got this problem at all, and some that do is on the Steam version of the game so... I don't understand it at all.

So I was kinda having the same issue, that’s how I landed on this page. My main reason for downloading Ark through Epic was for Crystal Isles. I have Ark through the Microsoft store but that gave version pulls from XBox and Xbox players don’t have Crystal Isles. I discovered that Add On DLC’s, even though you click “Download” through the Epic store when purchasing, they don’t actually download. Ark would load for me but when I would try to load the Crystal Isles map, it would shoot me back to the home screen. I discovered that you have to go into the launcher, click the 3 dots next to the Ark game, hit Manage DLC’s and click on them to actually install them. I thought they had already installed but they hadn’t. I’m downloading them now to see if this was MY issue, I’ll let y’all know if it works. I’m not sure if anyone was having this same issue I am, but if so, hopefully this is our fix. I’m new to Epic launcher, so if y’all knew this already, SORRY! LOL but maybe it’ll help someone that doesn’t ☺️

Im having the same exact problems as everyone else. Ive tried downloading the Microsoft C++ files, reinstalling, verifying, updating windows and I still cant get any result. My PCs specs are: Ryzen 7 1700, Rx 580 8gb, 256 gb ssd, 1tb Hdd (300 gb space available), 16 gb ram and Idk if im missing something else. If anyone knows something that can fix it Hmu. 

• Administrator

Hey guys, looking to see if we can get more information on this. Could you just, for my sanity, try the following out:

1. Verify your ARK files (you can do this by clicking on 3 dots next to the ARK: Survival Evolved title in your library, a drop down will appear and then just click verify).

2. Make sure you've installed vc140: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=48145

@Jatheish 

1. I have verified the game files several times (and reinstalled the game twice).

2. The link you attached is for 2015 version of VC Redistrib (x86 and x64).  I have 2015-2019 version of VC Redistriub (x86 and x64) installed and I get an error saying I can't install an older version.

Wouldn't expect this to be an issue otherwise you would have many people unable to run the game - having the most current VC.  According to MS 2015, 2017 and 2019 share the same redistributable files.

image.thumb.png.11777544daf38e3ef2b0aab601b8f4f1.png

Archived