How do I run a dedicated server and play at the same time on PC EPIC GAMES lchr?

JoeKeyFar

How do you run a dedicated Ark server and play at the same time on PC with EPIC GAMES launcher?
After starting ShooterGameServer.exe (with batch file) I can't launch ShooterGame.exe cause error Epic Game Launcher (LS-0018: Application is still running).
Is there any Necessary Server Args for this?

SOLVED:

If you cannot access your dedicated server with the same computer, you need to enable a NAT-loopback in addition to port forwarding on router.  And yes, you should started the game ShooterGame.exe first and then the server ShooterGameServer.exe.

47 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

Try launching the server in a virtual machine, or use a different PC for the server.

Oracle offer a free VM, but you'll need another Windows licence, or use Linux.
https://www.virtualbox.org/

I think I managed to solve the problem. it was easier.
I just started the game first and then the server. but now, although I see the server in the list, I can’t connect to it. I try to join to my dedicated server and get "Joining Failed! Connection Timeout".

There is a workaround for those, who host server and doesn't have router with NAT-loopback function:
Run server, wait for report that server is launched in console;
Create single player game (it's fastest way to get to ingame console);
Open in-game console (Tab) and type:
open <ip>:<port> <password>
where ip - is your ip in local network (as example - 192.168.0.2);
port - port that you assigned into config files;
password - password of server that u're trying connect to.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 7:54 AM, Smok1ngAce said:

There is a workaround for those, who host server and doesn't have router with NAT-loopback function:
Run server, wait for report that server is launched in console;
Create single player game (it's fastest way to get to ingame console);
Open in-game console (Tab) and type:
open <ip>:<port> <password>
where ip - is your ip in local network (as example - 192.168.0.2);
port - port that you assigned into config files;
password - password of server that u're trying connect to.

What if I don't have this problem and Epic Games still says my ark is running even after a complete computer reboot?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 4:26 AM, JoeKeyFar said:

How do you run a dedicated Ark server and play at the same time on PC with EPIC GAMES launcher?
After starting ShooterGameServer.exe (with batch file) I can't launch ShooterGame.exe cause error Epic Game Launcher (LS-0018: Application is still running).
Is there any Necessary Server Args for this?

SOLVED:

If you cannot access your dedicated server with the same computer, you need to enable a NAT-loopback in addition to port forwarding on router.  And yes, you should started the game ShooterGame.exe first and then the server ShooterGameServer.exe.

This is NOT  solution.

That totally removes the purpose of a dedicated server.
You're telling me that if I want to stop playing now and keep my server up for my friends, I'd have to turn down the server in order to reconnect? Every single time? That's just lazy coding.

• 2 weeks later...

one piece of advice that I can suggest is to look into downloading the dedicated server using steam with an anonymous login.

Instructions are provided on the Wiki below:

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

Personally, I use Ark Server Manager, but as it's third party software, it may not necessarily be an approved of recommendation here

On 7/23/2020 at 4:47 PM, AoshiKearun said:

This is NOT  solution.

That totally removes the purpose of a dedicated server.
You're telling me that if I want to stop playing now and keep my server up for my friends, I'd have to turn down the server in order to reconnect? Every single time? That's just lazy coding.

OK. I'm having the exact same problem. I don't even know how to do that NAT-loopback thing. I got the game from Epic.

I launch my server. I launch ARK video game. I go to join, and can see my server on the list. But I still get that same error. (Failed to join. Connection timed out.)

The only way for me to log into the actual server is by starting a single-player game, and using the command to open the server. How, then, do I fix the problem with joining from the list?

Archived