Mod support for Epic Games version of Ark

Tipin

I'm curious as to why the Mod kit was added to the Epic Games DLC list for Ark after stating that mods will not be supported at launch.  Can a person who got the Modkit from epic games even play with  their own mods?

Also has anyone found anywhere we can find news about when, or if, Epic games will even update their game launcher to support mods?  The statement made by wild card gave me the impression that mods will only come to epic games version if the platform is updated to support it.  Too me this sounds like a huge undertaking Epic would have to do to make this possible, and we all know it won't happen unless they (Epic) believe adding this feature would be profitable.  

5 minutes ago, vittelkiller said:

Thank you for finding this.  I had a hard time locating this on Epic's forums

I think it's very unlikely that the Epic store version will support mods, as (generally, Epic's store is very lacking) but it doesn't have it's own dedicated mod workshop page like Steam does that really simplifies everything for the player.
I never tried the Epic Games Store myself, and I never want to, as there's plenty of things and so many features missing that just make it seem extremely shady.
I'm sure that Epic is too busy (or possibly just doesn't feel the need) to actually make their already very lackluster launcher actually support mods, I mean, if it still doesn't have a shopping cart, why would they go out of their way to add mod support for just ONE game?

43 minutes ago, Level4Gaming said:

I think it's very unlikely that the Epic store version will support mods, as (generally, Epic's store is very lacking) but it doesn't have it's own dedicated mod workshop page like Steam does that really simplifies everything for the player.
I never tried the Epic Games Store myself, and I never want to, as there's plenty of things and so many features missing that just make it seem extremely shady.
I'm sure that Epic is too busy (or possibly just doesn't feel the need) to actually make their already very lackluster launcher actually support mods, I mean, if it still doesn't have a shopping cart, why would they go out of their way to add mod support for just ONE game?

I thought the same thing until I read the article posted by Vittelkiller up above showing the mod support in development on the epic launcher.  It doesn't look great.  I don't think it'll come close to the steam workshop, but its a start I guess.  If your wanting to play modded I would recommend pulling out the wallet and purchasing it on Steam rather than the Free Epic Games launcher.  Once the Mod itch comes, you can't look back.  So many mods fix quality of life issues not addressed by the Wildcard Dev team.

1 hour ago, Tipin said:

I'm curious as to why the Mod kit was added to the Epic Games DLC list for Ark after stating that mods will not be supported at launch.  Can a person who got the Modkit from epic games even play with  their own mods?

Also has anyone found anywhere we can find news about when, or if, Epic games will even update their game launcher to support mods?  The statement made by wild card gave me the impression that mods will only come to epic games version if the platform is updated to support it.  Too me this sounds like a huge undertaking Epic would have to do to make this possible, and we all know it won't happen unless they (Epic) believe adding this feature would be profitable.  

The mod kit has always been in the Epic Games Launcher, so this is not new. As for it added as a "DLC" to the store page, I'm guessing it's just about it being tagged as belonging to ARK in the Epic Games Store's system.

1 hour ago, Level4Gaming said:

I'm definitely not an Epic fan and have my own reasons for thinking them shady (main reason is that I hate, hateHATE exclusivity and think that they're trying to make it a mainstream business competition tactic for PC and I hope to god they fail!!) so I'm the last person who'll try to make you change your mind. Having that said - I must protest against one thing: their store is so very new compared to Steam that they couldn't be expected to have the same amount of features. You're wrong in that it's unlikely Epic will support mods: it's still a platform very much in development and they have ambitious plans for it. So if your main objection is the lack of features, you can always give it another chance in a year or so.

Just now, Zahlea said:

I'm definitely not an Epic fan and have my own reasons for thinking them shady (main reason is that I hate, hateHATE exclusivity and think that they're trying to make it a mainstream business competition tactic for PC and I hope to god they fail!!) so I'm the last person who'll try to make you change your mind. Having that said - I must protest against one thing: their store is so very new compared to Steam that they couldn't be expected to have the same amount of features. You're wrong in that it's unlikely Epic will support mods: it's still a platform very much in development and they have ambitious plans for it. So if your main objection is the lack of features, you can always give it another chance in a year or so.

I would have gone into more depth with why I find the Epic store "shady", but one of my main gripes is the lack of features (no shopping cart BTW), the exclusivity deals that, in all regards, really just forces you to download yet another launcher (I already have enough of them, Steam, Origin, Uplay, and GOG, I don't feel like I need ANOTHER to add to the list), and Tim Sweeny's highly "questionable" behavior, and also how the launcher embeds itself in your machine and doesn't uninstall easily.
I'm glad you're not being biased though and jumping on me over my reasoning why I feel like ARK on the Epic store isn't the greatest thing that could have ever happened.
Yes, maybe in a year or two, Epic MIGHT support mods. But Epic likely won't support mods for ARK by the end of the year unless there is some extreme demand for it.
Again, I really appreciate the unbiased perspective from your end, cause I usually get Epic fanboys who jump on me when I state my reasonings behind not downloading the launcher.

On 6/15/2020 at 2:26 AM, ArkHeavy said:

I was told that you can directly download the mod from steam (without an account) and install manually. https://steamworkshopdownloader.io/

Don't know if it works..

still don't see the point of it seeing as you would still have to own the game on steam and by that point it would be better to use the steam version anyway.

Yes i tried it just now. It doesn't work. But after seeing what i downloads i am not expecting this to work. Problem with all these download alternatives i had was that they never give you .mod file which will be placed directly in the same directory together with the directory containing the mod files itself.

Either way you cannot have mods on -crossplay server . EGS client will give you time out message or invalid password message. I also haven't figured out how to password the server. You have to connect with open command from console, not sure if they is parameter to enter password (probably not, nothing is written on the wiki).

So vanilla server without passwords. You can modify things in server ini files (faster breeding and what not) but that's about it. I have mixed audience, some people on Steam some on EGS so kind of eagerly waiting for proper server support.

There is a command line option for specifying password (I think it's  "+password") It's visible in process list when joining game via steam without game launched previously. It's visible in Linux process list

BTW for Transport Fever there is an app caled TPFMM https://www.transportfever.net/index.php?thread/7777-tpfmm-transport-fever-mod-manager/  - a third-party mod manager able to download mods from steam workshop even for those who don't have the steam version. If this thing could be achieved in Epic too, we could have a server using mods for both worlds (Steam and Epic). The Epic mod ID could be in form "E1234" (unlike Steam's "1234"). And this approach would be the best for the players (any PC player able to play with any other PC player independent of the store where did he get the game). But I wonder if ARK's devs are willing to implement the thing this way.

1) Host your dedicated server as usual with parameter -crossplay ( for example ./ShooterGameServer TheIsland?listen?Port=1234?QueryPort=45678?SessionName=ArkSession?MaxPlayers=15?PreventDownloadSurvivors=False?PreventDownloadItems=False?PreventDownloadDinos=False?PreventUploadSurvivors=False?PreventUploadItems=False?PreventUploadDinos=False -NoTransferFromFiltering -clusterid=ark-cluster -crossplay ). Ports forwarded etc, that's the same. 

2) For steam clients nothing changes. They go  through Servers on steam and add it to favorites.

3) EGS clients  - start Ark and start single player. Once you are in map and can move, open console (default Tab key) and type "open 192.168.1.1:1234" where 192.168.1.1 is your ark server ip (can be public IP on the internet!) and 1234 is port of the server from parameter Port, not QueryPort

If server has mods - EGS client will time out when it tries to connect. If there is password then EGS client gets message that password is empty (because there is no place for client to put it in afaik).

When i tried steam client connection with open command from console, i was getting timeout (unsure if this is intended).

19 hours ago, KouDy said:

1) Host your dedicated server as usual with parameter -crossplay ( for example ./ShooterGameServer TheIsland?listen?Port=1234?QueryPort=45678?SessionName=ArkSession?MaxPlayers=15?PreventDownloadSurvivors=False?PreventDownloadItems=False?PreventDownloadDinos=False?PreventUploadSurvivors=False?PreventUploadItems=False?PreventUploadDinos=False -NoTransferFromFiltering -clusterid=ark-cluster -crossplay ). Ports forwarded etc, that's the same. 

2) For steam clients nothing changes. They go  through Servers on steam and add it to favorites.

3) EGS clients  - start Ark and start single player. Once you are in map and can move, open console (default Tab key) and type "open 192.168.1.1:1234" where 192.168.1.1 is your ark server ip (can be public IP on the internet!) and 1234 is port of the server from parameter Port, not QueryPort

If server has mods - EGS client will time out when it tries to connect. If there is password then EGS client gets message that password is empty (because there is no place for client to put it in afaik).

When i tried steam client connection with open command from console, i was getting timeout (unsure if this is intended).

Thank you, this is how I was able to connect to my LAN server. Seems a bit silly to have to go into single player first, but modifying the shortcut to add +connect ip:port would not work for me.

I was able to manage to connect with Epic Game ARK Client to a MODDED server that running with -crossplay switch, everything was working just fine and i was able to use the MOD items too, just like with Steam ARK Client, but after a LOT of testing I've realized that Steam version of ARK HAS TO BE owned as well to be able to connect with EGS client to a modded crossplay server.

So I CAN CONFIRM THAT -crossplay switch on the server side is NOT PREVENTING YOU to join a modded server!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 9:28 PM, Laceee said:

Epic Game ARK Clientを-crossplayスイッチで実行されているMODDEDサーバーに接続することができました。すべてが正常に機能し、Steam ARK Clientと同じようにMODアイテムも使用できましたが、LOTの後テストの結果、ARGのSteamバージョンは、EGSクライアントと改造されたクロスプレイサーバーに接続するためにも所有されている必要があることに気付きました。

だから私はそれ確認することができます-サーバー側のcrossplayスイッチはmoddedサーバーに参加することを妨げていません!

What measures did you take?

Is it an OPEN command from MOD library copy and single play?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived