I get ``Connection timeout´´ on all of my servers after update!

Allanballan

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Then why would it be working for years prior to the 11th June?

311.78 - 06/11/2020

Disabled bRawSockets as they no longer function with the new game networking code

That is when they removed the command but still seems to have turned on the function for everyone as standard.

Would explain why some servers still functioned and some like mine stopped cause i stacked my ports.

They say they fixed epic favorites but steam favorites that use my external ip still aren't working. I think maybe they will make attempts at fixing steam networking issues after they are done with epic. The reasoning of such priorities isn't clear to me though.

I have hopes for this weekend's big patch. Until then the Anniversary event gives me more anxiety then joy.

I've been struggling with this issue for some days now, after returning from a break from Genesis. I set up a new server for Crystal Isles, but have been entirely unable to connect to it. Connection Timeout through the public IP and it never shows up on LAN. I tried starting up the Genesis server I was playing on earlier, but it's the same there. Tried with and without mods. The servers are given the ports 7777 and 27115 (+5 for each instance) and tcp/udp are forwarded in the range 7770-7790 and 27110-27130. The server itself is a NUC on the same LAN. bRawPorts was removed a few days ago, so that's no longer part of the equation. Starting a single-player game and switching to the dedicated server using "open ip:port"  from the console, gave me a few seconds of play before the connection was lost.

After trying dozens of different tweaks to the config over several days, including completely disabling firewalls on both machines, I started looking at the router. I'm using an ASUS RT-AC3200, and while there has been a firmware upgrade since I last played ARK, I'm not sure if the NAC Acceleration setting was recently introduced or maybe switched on by default.

Anyway, disabling NAT Acceleration (under LAN/Switch) finally allowed me to connect.  NAT Acceleration is only relevant for internet speeds above 100MB/s and apparently prevents port forwarding from functioning, so I don't know why it would be enabled by default. Maybe fewer people than I think, are running services from home.

https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

38 minutes ago, Pawtuxet said:

I've been struggling with this issue for some days now, after returning from a break from Genesis. I set up a new server for Crystal Isles, but have been entirely unable to connect to it. Connection Timeout through the public IP and it never shows up on LAN. I tried starting up the Genesis server I was playing on earlier, but it's the same there. Tried with and without mods. The servers are given the ports 7777 and 27115 (+5 for each instance) and tcp/udp are forwarded in the range 7770-7790 and 27110-27130. The server itself is a NUC on the same LAN. bRawPorts was removed a few days ago, so that's no longer part of the equation. Starting a single-player game and switching to the dedicated server using "open ip:port"  from the console, gave me a few seconds of play before the connection was lost.

After trying dozens of different tweaks to the config over several days, including completely disabling firewalls on both machines, I started looking at the router. I'm using an ASUS RT-AC3200, and while there has been a firmware upgrade since I last played ARK, I'm not sure if the NAC Acceleration setting was recently introduced or maybe switched on by default.

Anyway, disabling NAT Acceleration (under LAN/Switch) finally allowed me to connect.  NAT Acceleration is only relevant for internet speeds above 100MB/s and apparently prevents port forwarding from functioning, so I don't know why it would be enabled by default. Maybe fewer people than I think, are running services from home.

https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

Here is something of interest as well....

I have made no changes to my modem, my ISP has made no changes and yet it worked prior to June 11 and now it doesn't. Nothing you have said there is remotely going to help me...

@everyone else

I also did some further tests and found that even with two maps created and using -crossplay, I can join the maps no problem, but I can not transfer to them via an obelisk. And I had to use MultiHome = true and specify the IP in the cmd line, all this is done by ASM so I am not sure the correct configuration and without this mutlihome I was not able to connect to any server, whether it was from Epic Client or the Steam Client unless multi home was on. So while that worked for connecting, I still can't work out why transferring from one map to another doesn't work.

I can see the other map, I can click the other map, but the join option is not selectable. 

23 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Here is something of interest as well....

I have made no changes to my modem, my ISP has made no changes and yet it worked prior to June 11 and now it doesn't. Nothing you have said there is remotely going to help me...

@everyone else

I also did some further tests and found that even with two maps created and using -crossplay, I can join the maps no problem, but I can not transfer to them via an obelisk. And I had to use MultiHome = true and specify the IP in the cmd line, all this is done by ASM so I am not sure the correct configuration and without this mutlihome I was not able to connect to any server, whether it was from Epic Client or the Steam Client unless multi home was on. So while that worked for connecting, I still can't work out why transferring from one map to another doesn't work.

I can see the other map, I can click the other map, but the join option is not selectable. 

Well no, I wasn't suggesting this was the end-all solution to the connection issues people are experiencing. And from what you describe, it doesn't sound like the exact same problem. Some people have described issues that very closely matched what I was seeing.

I don't know if my modem's firmware update triggered the issue for me - I don't think it did. I don't think NAT Acceleration is recently introduced and it hasn't prevented all port forwarding from working (I haven't tested all my services, but those I use daily haven't had any issues).

What I am suggesting is, that since some port forwarding is unaffected, possibly Wildcard recently introduced something in their netcode that renders it incompatible with NAT Acceleration. Or maybe ASUS' implementation is broken. Disabling it allowed me to access my servers again.

Perhaps I should add my issue only involved Steam client and server.

4 minutes ago, Pawtuxet said:

Well no, I wasn't suggesting this was the end-all solution to the connection issues people are experiencing. And from what you describe, it doesn't sound like the exact same problem. Some people have described issues that very closely matched what I was seeing.

I don't know if my modem's firmware update triggered the issue for me - I don't think it did. I don't think NAT Acceleration is recently introduced and it hasn't prevented all port forwarding from working (I haven't tested all my services, but those I use daily haven't had any issues).

What I am suggesting is, that since some port forwarding is unaffected, possibly Wildcard recently introduced something in their netcode that renders it incompatible with NAT Acceleration. Or maybe ASUS' implementation is broken. Disabling it allowed me to access my servers again.

I am getting a disconnect, but only when transferring on my steam cluster with mods. I setup separate server cluster for cross play to test and straight away cold not connect with EGS version, but could with Steam version. So I added Multi Home and was able to connect fine. Now the stupid thing is I have removed multi home and they both work fine. Just still crossplay still wont allow transfer.

But I will ask you this, you're obviously got a steam only cluster, what happens when you transfer to another map, does it work for you?

On 6/21/2020 at 7:28 AM, Pawtuxet said:

I also have the same Asus router and my friends and I had the same issue with connecting to my server over WAN (connection timeout).  I read your post and disabled NAT acceleration and enabled Multihome in Ark Server Manager and this worked.  I have not tried this with a cluster but will update if I  learn more about this issue with cluster transfers.  Thanks for your post Pawtuxet ?

Also, started up a vanilla Minecraft server just to test the router's port forwarding with NAT acceleration ON and it worked fine.  This would implicate a compatibility issue with the Asus router and the Ark update at the least, and just an issue with the Ark update at the most.  Things were fine pre-June 11th for me as well.

I am also stuck in this glitch using PS4. The only way I can get on the unoff pc cluster I play, Saints and Sinners, is for me to dump my inventory and kill my character when I log off. Then I can come back in with the message my player was killed and pick to spawn at my base. I've tried all the fixes like always and none have worked. I sent the server owner the fix about the 'disable rawsocket' but nothing has happened yet. It's so frustrating! 

On 6/21/2020 at 2:28 PM, Pawtuxet said:

YES!!

Disable NAT Acceleration on a ASUS Router let me join my servers without VPN.... Thank you @Pawtuxet for your post

go to LAN --> Switch Control --> NAT Acceleration --> Disable

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I get timed out connection lost, after going to load screen. It'll load primal game data_bp like three times, then sends me to the sever select screen. Where it says connecting to which ever sever I pick then just times out.

Happened after a nitro update to sever, and I dont feel that is a coincidence. 

Ive done everything I can, changing dns on ps4 and phone(use mobilehotspot)<worked for a week till that update> cleared cache on ps4, Uninstalled and reinstalled. If I connect to a friends internet itll work. My phones Hotspot seems to not work. I stream videos fine no lag at all, can play my other games online no problem. I get 15-24mbps download and 1.5-4mbps upload

• 4 months later...

Archived