I get ``Connection timeout´´ on all of my servers after update!

Allanballan

16 hours ago, ChuckDodo said:

I'm also unable to join my dedicated private server as it ceased to appear in the  in the client's server list. This happened after the 311.79 update.
I get these new messages on the dedicated server:

SteamSocketsOpenSource: Gethostname failed ()
gethostname failed ()

Sighs... Why is everything so unnecessary problematic with this Wildcard company?

They postponed the release of the Crystal Isles and yet the managed to frak it up.

This is exactly my problem, nothing mentioned yet has helped. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To those of you with control over the networking to your dedicated server, I discovered at least one reason this is happening. As a number of people mentioned, the server actually opens up two different UDP sockets, on PORT and PORT+1. It used to be that PORT+1 was where the normal traffic was (and I believe PORT was where the raw sockets traffic was). My previous firewall setup only allowed PORT+1 through. It seems the latest update swapped these (probably why disabling raw sockets gets things working for some people), and I had to instead allow traffic on PORT.

TLDR: if you run your server with Port=XXXX, try making sure XXXX and XXXX+1 are both allowed through your firewall (and port-forwarded if you're behind NAT).

Ok Justinian is kind of right. 

I found that if I am on Port 7779 then I needed to open 7778 for it to work correctly. 

So you need to check if you are running multiple instances that are sharing ports as it will conflict. 

ie I my case I was running a TheIsland on 7778 and Ragnarok on 7779 so I had to move them around. 

Now if you are running using Docker container you need to make sure you are forwarding the ports. In this case I built a new container and you can see that I am passing 7778 and 7779 and everthing works fine. 

sudo docker run -d  -v /home/linux/apps/arkR/:/ark -p 27016:27016 -p 27016:27016/udp -p 7778:7778 -p 7779:7779 -p 7778:7778/udp -p 7779:7779/udp  -e am_ark_SessionName=szkArkR  -e am_ark_MaxPlayers=28 -e  am_ark_Port="7779" -e  am_ark_QueryPort="27016"    -e am_serverMap="Ragnarok" --name arkrag thmhoag/arkserver

I will say it now logs into the server far quicker :) 

Good Luck to all. 

I port forwarded a range of ports either side of the ones I am using and allowed "all ports" through the firewall but sadly still no joy.  Reading through the forums on Steam and other places I think the update has caused issues with a number of things including port numbers, raw sockets, update versions etc. so it looks like you just have to identify which of the issues are effecting your servers.  So far for myself I have tried all the fixes I have read with no luck so guessing there is another problem that I have not seen yet.

I'm also seeing a lot of posts saying people that have not updated can still connect to the servers but clients that have updated can't so could simply be  there is no fix until they roll out a patch (once they know what is causing it) or roll back your client which seems to be working for quite a few. 

I have opened all ports from 7771 - 7780 on both TCP and UDH, still nothing even if my default port is set to 7777.   I receive the message "SteamSocketsOpenSource: gethostname failed ()"

My Ark Server Manager Status = "Available".   How do I fix the steam socket issue?

Note - My server is listed in https://www.battlemetrics.com/  but it does not appear on the Ark Game server list. Why?

Ok, I have it working where my server shows on the server list in game. PC only test.  Others were able to join.  Not exactly sure how I got it, but here are steps I took:

1. Using Ark Server Manager
  2. Confirm your server port and Query ports and that those ports + and - 1 of those ports are open (forward).  Example, 7776, 7777, 7778.
  3. In Ark Server Manager at the bottom of the "Administration" list,  "Server Args:"  add -crossplay
  4. Press "Start".
  5. You will probably still see the "SteamSocketsOpenSource: gethostname failed ()" but that's ok, steps below still worked for me.
  6. Launch Ark Survival from Epic store.
  7. Test to see if your sever is in the "Join Ark" list by setting "Session Filter" to Unoffical, "Show password protected" if you're using a password, and type in the name.  
  8. If you do NOT see your server, go back to main menu and select "Host / Local"  (don't worry this is just to test)
  9. Select "Play Single Players" (settings do not matter), and accept your character. 
  10. Once in game, press "TAB" to open console at the bottom of the screen.
  11. Type in "open 00.00.00.00:7777".   Replace the zeros with your public IP address and the port with the correct port number.  Your public IP is displayed at the top of Ark Server Manager.
  12. You will either correct, or receive a "Password not entered" message.  This is ok, we just wanted to confirm the server is reachable.
  13. Back out to the main menu and return to step 7 above.  You should now see your server in the list.  If you don't..  I don't know what else to do.  Sorry.  

1 hour ago, Teriander said:

Ok, I have it working where my server shows on the server list in game. PC only test.  Others were able to join.  Not exactly sure how I got it, but here are steps I took:

1. Using Ark Server Manager
  2. Confirm your server port and Query ports and that those ports + and - 1 of those ports are open (forward).  Example, 7776, 7777, 7778.
  3. In Ark Server Manager at the bottom of the "Administration" list,  "Server Args:"  add -crossplay
  4. Press "Start".
  5. You will probably still see the "SteamSocketsOpenSource: gethostname failed ()" but that's ok, steps below still worked for me.
  6. Launch Ark Survival from Epic store.
  7. Test to see if your sever is in the "Join Ark" list by setting "Session Filter" to Unoffical, "Show password protected" if you're using a password, and type in the name.  
  8. If you do NOT see your server, go back to main menu and select "Host / Local"  (don't worry this is just to test)
  9. Select "Play Single Players" (settings do not matter), and accept your character. 
  10. Once in game, press "TAB" to open console at the bottom of the screen.
  11. Type in "open 00.00.00.00:7777".   Replace the zeros with your public IP address and the port with the correct port number.  Your public IP is displayed at the top of Ark Server Manager.
  12. You will either correct, or receive a "Password not entered" message.  This is ok, we just wanted to confirm the server is reachable.
  13. Back out to the main menu and return to step 7 above.  You should now see your server in the list.  If you don't..  I don't know what else to do.  Sorry.  

Thanks for taking the time to post this Teriander.  Hopefully will help some people, sadly didn't fix mine though.

Hello, I am using steamcmd with batch files and I am having the same problem. Wat Da fock is ?bRawSocket, do I need to add ?bRawSocket=False to my launch command file? Because there is no bRawSocket in my launch command file. Anyone can confirm if changing ports really work? I am hosting 9 servers. I hope WC will patch soon. 

OK guys, I have a really weird workaround for those of us getting timeouts to our own dedicated servers....

I just connected my VPN to Canada (I am based in the UK) and the timeout error immediately stopped and I could connect in no problems!

I tested by adding/removing mods and adding/removing crossplay and it all works  as long as I am connected through my VPN, I will test a little more with other countries to see if it is a region thing or just the fact that I am no longer trying to connect through from a machine on the same LAN but am definitely able to log in again using this.

Hope it helps someone

After 5 hours spent on my server machine running a cluster of 4 maps (ASM - no raw socket) I'm writing down a little step to step because finally I've managed to make all working again (in my case was Extinction the most problematic one);

Things that NOT worked:

- remove mods

- change port

- reset router

- rebuild port trigger scheme

- remove player profiles

- access from lan (ark engine error)

- make a new map empty

- reset steam CMD

- reset cluster directory

Now, the things that I think made work again fine everything (in my case). I know that some passage may not be relevant:

- rebuilt port scheme leaving +1 free (like Ragnarok using 7777 and next Valguero using 7779)

- installed new visual c++ x86 and x64 like noted under server updates page

- updated ASM to lastest hotfix

- removed firewall and scheduled task rules and rebuilt using "save" button and applying general ASM setting

- added "-crossplay" in server line argument for each map (redundant because of mods)

- rebuilt port forwarding scheme following "+1" rules

Example:

Ragnarok ASM ports: 7777/27015/32330

Ragnarok router rule: TCP/UDP 7777/7778/27015/32330

and so on with other maps, starting with 7779 for Valguero, 7781 for Aberration and 7783 for Extinction

SteamCMD still give me publish port error but now is finally all working again with mods and cluster.

Tried all of these things, even added +5 ports in both directions.

Updated vcredist64/32 rebuild firewall and in my case turned it all off, added0 -crossplay.

Still connection timeout. Might just have to revert to earlyer versions and not update.

edit;: due to the forced update from steam i cant revert so that was it i guess ...

Archived