Community Crunch 225: Crystal Isles, Anniversary Event, Epic Games Store, and more!

StudioWildcard

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, TJRose said:

Ohh, so the console players get the new dino on other maps as rare spawns, but pc players get it only on Crystal Isles? Did I read this right?

But thanks for all your hard work, Wildcard. Can't wait to see this map for myself.

Yes you read it right. ?

So - seeing as this event is underwhelming, - judging by the response I'm not the only one thinking so -  I'm going to suggest some things: 

Breeding: too much breaks the servers...3x should be manageable though

Colors - if you had colors, noone would be complaining about the breeding thing. 

Color variation - in order to get more people playing, and to avoid server congestion, different color schemes for each map. Make people go to different maps to get 'em all. 

Any other suggestions? I'd like to hear em. 

Yay! Breedable Wyverns! Happy Birthday, ARK! I want the "classic" Wyverns and Drakes breedable too, TLC3 possible? The 4x1 "Chibi Exchange" is a convenient way of getting new rare Chibies using thousands of my spares from Easter event. I appreciate the Timecapsule branch. I do feel nostalgic time-to-time. I'll play it eventually, thank you.

A big, beautiful map and the jet-plane Toruk will certainly give me many hours of testing, exploration and settings refining.

Either way these are very positive news!

Edited by SAS
Removed personal info
  • Like 1

So... good update... but it really only caters to PC players. So I'll say the things that I feel needed to be said about this update, from a non-biased perspective of someone who has played the game on both Xbox and PC. (And I really feel like the game is virtually unplayable on original consoles due to the poor performance, as I sorta did get the game on Steam to get away from the problems the original consoles had while running this game.)
...You guys putting ARK on the Epic Games Store was likely the worst thing you could have possibly done... I've been playing the game on Xbox since December 2015 and purchased the game on Steam after getting a new PC in August 2018. I've been supporting the game for that long and while the update that's coming is nice, and Crystal Isles is a high quality mod made by some very good developers now being ported to the game as a vanilla map, I have to ask, if Ragnarok, Valgeuro, etc, already STRUGGLES to run on the original Xbox One and PS4, why is there now an EVEN MORE demanding map that's going to be on console? Ragnarok only runs 30 FPS while you're in the middle of the desert staring at nothing, and that's talking on an Xbox One X, not even talking the original, these maps shouldn't really be on console in particular without some SERIOUS optimization fixes, whereas most people who play ARK on Steam have beefy computers anyways or know about graphical tweaks, so they run just fine. Of course, all platforms need the serious optimization, and while I am grateful for much of the optimization we have been getting, there's a reason ARK on PC is just far superior in virtually every way to ARK on console.
This is just a little note for all my friends who don't have PCs and therefore play the game on console; Your game is in a terrible state on the original consoles. Maps like Valguero and the events were a good band-aid, but quality always beats out maps and new creatures. You guys at Wildcard need to take a deep look at the state of your game on console (And in many cases PC too, as even that still has some optimization and bug problems), and you guys need to fire the ones who are responsible for turning the console versions into a virtually unplayable 10FPS mess that looks worse than PUBG on console.
But now on PC there's going to be people infesting the public servers that fill it with more walls than you see in Fortnite. I would assume many of these people who USE the Epic store are people under the age of 16 and think that Fortnite is a legitimate good game... which IMO... it really doesn't live up to all the hype... Not only does making it free on Epic encourage people to download a worse games store, (I'd suggest looking up why the Epic store is so shady, but I won't go into depth since this is an ARK forum.) It also devalues the game for people who are on Steam. Especially if those people on Steam paid full triple-A price for the game.
It's really nice to see the Tropeo coming to the older maps, but what this game really needs now is some serious TLC for outdated creatures that have been in the game since day one. I'm looking mostly at the Carno, Megalodon, (possibly more aquatic creatures that might just need model updates like the Plesi), and some other just downright underpowered stuff that's been either powercreeped or become irrelevant due to the ever changing meta of this game.
Of course, that's just a suggestion. If you're going to actually give many of these old dinos any sort of TLC, it has to be balanced towards PVE and PVP. You can't just balance it towards one playerbase and completely screw over the other. Just and example, the Managarmr changes absolutely helped PVP, but now look how much they're used in PVE; almost never.
Apologies for my bit of a rant, but I just feel like the game is in sort of an odd state right now, especially after what happened with the full release, which left many people's games unplayable on original consoles.

• Thanks 3

You misunderstood,  console will be getting the new dino on all maps UNTIL they get Crystal Isles. They don’t want the console community mad because they don’t get a new map, or Dino for another 3 months. And we don’t get it on all maps, just Ragnorak, Val, Island, and scorched.

Edited by Ferged2024
Wasn’t complete

Wow. Only 2x breeding?! DILO. Should be 5x everything !! And no event colors ?! I am so disappointed.  Please please give us boosted breeding!! I can deal with no event colored dinos... But damn. 

Also... This was NOT posted 20 hours ago. I checked this page every hours all night last night up until I went to bed 6 hours ago. 

My modded server cluster cannot be joined after having run the update. All players timeout. I was told by my hosting company that all modded unofficial servers have the same problem until Wildcard issues a patch to fix it.

OMG I'm so glad I haven't updated my cluster yet :/