how can i place a pillar underneath a ceiling?

cyrax76

how can i place a pillar underneath a ceiling?

I want to extend my base into the water but after 2 foundations i can't place more so i have to continue with ceilings. The problem is that i need pillars to support mi ceiling, but the pillars always sticking trough the ceiling. How can i place the pillar under the ceiling, without sticking trough? Or is there any other way to support the ceilings?

pillar.jpg

• Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried Q (assuming you are on PC...not sure of the equivalent on consoles) to see if you can move the pillar to different snap points.  Also, you can try to do it from a crouch or prone position (if you are not in the water).

The other thing you could try, is to remove that ceiling, add a wall to the previous ceiling, then a ceiling to that wall, and then snap the first pillar, then try to get the second one to snap into place; that is, go up one level, and work down form there. If that works, you add in your original ceiling and destroy the upper pillar, ceiling, and then wall.

Or, you might try to use foundations as far as you can first, and then switch to ceilings and pillars.

I know some of these methods will be a loss of mats, but, sometimes, you just got to trick the game.  You could also experiment using cheaper materials first (thatch and wood) and then replace with stone.

2 hours ago, ArkRage said:

The way to do it is to have the ceiling already there , snap a pillar in the middle, snap a pillar under that, and then destroy the first one. 

^^^this

Also, if you are building several pillars high you can cut down on pillars by just having one connected all the way to the ground and then just snapping pillars off of the first one at ground level to give you full foundation support without having to build them all up to the tallest point.

if you want the ceiling directly on top of the pillar without any poke through, the pillars have to be done first then the ceiling snapped on top of that pillar, is the easiest way i've found to do it, all other methods are a pain to get to work without any frustration

Start in the water and work your way to the shore, then to align your foundation with the ceiling, attach a pillar in the middle of one that doesn't have a existing pillar attached and snap the foundation to the pillar then remove the pillar.

1 hour ago, OMCWILDCAT said:

Also, if you are building several pillars high you can cut down on pillars by just having one connected all the way to the ground and then just snapping pillars off of the first one at ground level to give you full foundation support without having to build them all up to the tallest point.

the down side of this, if the one pillar that extends to the structure gets broken - bye bye structure.  having only one pillar support everything is a bit crazy tbh.

5 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

the down side of this, if the one pillar that extends to the structure gets broken - bye bye structure.  having only one pillar support everything is a bit crazy tbh.

For PVP I would totally agree, though building on pillars in PVP is risky at all times. There is pretty much 0 risk in PVE with this method.

The method has been described by ceiling out then pillared into the last ceiling.   Then snap a pillar below.

What isn’t mentioned yet is that there is two snap points for that pillar below.  you need to make sure you are looking at the lowest possible snap for it to work.  

This is the best way over all as you can use less pillars overall .  If you try to start from some level point to begin with,  there’s too many issues to list where things can go wrong and how to avoid and/or correct them would take too much time to type up.

Archived