Just got PS4 version, unplayable lag

Just got PS4 version, unplayable lag

Is this typical on PS4?   I will be running along and suddenly appear where i was 10 seconds ago or longer.  Sometimes the game freezes for a second or two and then keeps going.  I've only played for half an hour before I had to stop because of it.  It happened so many times just in that half hour.   As far as I know, i was on a dedicated server.   Is this a fluke?   Is this normal?  How are people playing with this?

The lag and "rubber banding" that you are experiencing are, unfortunately, a common problem when playing on a highly populated server, or a server with alot of structures.

My advice, would be to try a different server. Pay attention to the ping. It may take a bit to find a server that will fit your internet speeds and play style.

Don't be afraid to explore the Unofficial PC session servers! They're usually boosted (making the game less about the grind, and more about the fun) and alot have active admins that can help you out if you have problems.

2 hours ago, PANICinc said:

The lag and "rubber banding" that you are experiencing are, unfortunately, a common problem when playing on a highly populated server, or a server with alot of structures.

My advice, would be to try a different server. Pay attention to the ping. It may take a bit to find a server that will fit your internet speeds and play style.

Don't be afraid to explore the Unofficial PC session servers! They're usually boosted (making the game less about the grind, and more about the fun) and alot have active admins that can help you out if you have problems.

Thanks for the advice!  I'm jumping on the lowest ping I can find which is about 83 (i'm not from NYC, so i dont know why it isn't better)   The servers I've been on have just 5 or 6 people out of 70, i'm surprised.  But when i join, there's always structures around and it's nearly impossible to build anything of my own because it always says I'm too close to another structure even though I dont see any near me...    

Also every time i join a server I have to make another character, how are people saving their characters??   I had one up to lvl 8, but now they are gone because I had to shut down and eat lunch, kind a sucks starting over every time

On 6/5/2020 at 2:21 PM, BeastInfection said:

Also every time i join a server I have to make another character, how are people saving their characters??   I had one up to lvl 8, but now they are gone because I had to shut down and eat lunch, kind a sucks starting over every time

Characters stay on the server they were left on. If you want to use the same character on different servers, you'll need to go to an Obelisk or Loot Drop and select the "Upload Survivor" option. This is also how you save and transfer dinos and equipment!

But be careful. There is an expiration timer on how long things can live in the upload cloud!