[v310.80] Ovis/Sheep Changes Discussion

Kanosa

On 6/6/2020 at 9:56 PM, muffledear said:

1: No it's raptoring not, at least considering you get 2 raptorING MUTTON AT MOST PER SHEEP

2: What if you don't tame a ovis? What if you don't have sweet veggie cake? What then?

3: ^

1:  After some testing of my own, and what @Castlerock posted, You can get more than 2 mutton.  Maybe just not from a wild sheep?  I dunno, I kinda feel like that was their intent.  Tamed and HP-pumped with a Therizino or a Chainsaw and you get a decent grip!  You really do.

2:  If no veggie cake but you have cryopods:  go to where sheep are on a flyer.  Make sure to have a fed flyer with raw meat in inventory.  Carry with you a PowerHarvest pumped Therizino, even a low level would work as long as it was PowerHarvest pumped.  Toss it out, go to town on sheeps, drop pelt (weight), run back to flyer, transfer mutton to flyer, pod Therizino, go back to tame (or to base).  That's what I would do, or try to do, if I was starting out!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever has the bright idea to make the ovis patch should be fired.  Lost all our tames as base raided today.  Found some level 140 and 150 tames to get back in the game, harvested Ovis only to get 1 mutton per so had to abandon tames.  If this don’t switch this back soon then we’re done with this game.  Had bought multiple copies of Ark, Extinction, Genesis to play with my kids since COVID quarantine began. This stupid patch just knocked out the casual player who doesn’t have 10 hours a day to sit in front of a keyboard.  It’s not skill to sit in front of a computer screen or tv for 5 hours for a tame, it’s called not having a life.  

5 hours ago, Mahomes said:

Whoever has the bright idea to make the ovis patch should be fired.  Lost all our tames as base raided today.  Found some level 140 and 150 tames to get back in the game, harvested Ovis only to get 1 mutton per so had to abandon tames.  If this don’t switch this back soon then we’re done with this game.  Had bought multiple copies of Ark, Extinction, Genesis to play with my kids since COVID quarantine began. This stupid patch just knocked out the casual player who doesn’t have 10 hours a day to sit in front of a keyboard.  It’s not skill to sit in front of a computer screen or tv for 5 hours for a tame, it’s called not having a life.  

Try playing Non-dedicated (only recommend if on PC, as on console the host tether distance can't be changed and it's just not worth.) with your kids or buy a server and change the rates of the ovis yourself

On 6/7/2020 at 4:36 PM, Castlerock said:

Theri still the best at harvesting, just tested and got 69 mutton, tho its during 2x. Still, it will affect those starting out or without one to harvest with.2166841731dacd4c52d060977f8f6f22.jpg

I appreciate the suggestion, but: (1) There are no Therizinos even allowed on Aberration.  (2) You already said it was 2X and sheep with 3k health which means you're either on a modded server or you're doing some intensive breeding, not using wild sheep.  Even wild 150s were only giving at most 2 mutton and in some cases none at all.  (3) previously with a mastercraft chainsaw I was raking in well over 100 mutton (and in some cases hundreds of mutton) from a single sheep--That means they nerfed it by over 90%!!! Cut it in half, but over 90%???  Again, on Aberration, one of the first things that new players tame is a Ravager, which needs lamb chops to effectively tame.  How are new players supposed to tame them if they have to be LUCKY to get a single mutton from a sheep?  If a spino with over 500% melee only gets 1 mutton, a stone or metal pick isn't going to do sh*t.  

15 hours ago, TheDonn said:

1:  After some testing of my own, and what @Castlerock posted, You can get more than 2 mutton.  Maybe just not from a wild sheep?  I dunno, I kinda feel like that was their intent.  Tamed and HP-pumped with a Therizino or a Chainsaw and you get a decent grip!  You really do.

2:  If no veggie cake but you have cryopods:  go to where sheep are on a flyer.  Make sure to have a fed flyer with raw meat in inventory.  Carry with you a PowerHarvest pumped Therizino, even a low level would work as long as it was PowerHarvest pumped.  Toss it out, go to town on sheeps, drop pelt (weight), run back to flyer, transfer mutton to flyer, pod Therizino, go back to tame (or to base).  That's what I would do, or try to do, if I was starting out!

"If I was starting out!"--DILO?  it takes 2 1/2 hours just to tame a lvl 10 Therizino.  AND that's assuming you already have the resources to build a trap and other dinos to safely move around.  That's not starting out--starting out is you're a lvl 1 with nothing and you spawn in the middle of nowhere.  Previously, if you spawned in and found a sheep nearby, you could knock out and tame a decent leveled Carno in about the first 45 minutes and have it tamed in about an hour without expending many resources--I used to do that all the time on Aberration.  Now, to tame that same Carno, you're looking at about 4 hours instead and a much higher resource drain.

I appreciate the suggestion, but: (1) There are no Therizinos even allowed on Aberration.  (2) You already said it was 2X and sheep with 3k health which means you're either on a modded server or you're doing some intensive breeding, not using wild sheep.  Even wild 150s were only giving at most 2 mutton and in some cases none at all.  (3) previously with a mastercraft chainsaw I was raking in well over 100 mutton (and in some cases hundreds of mutton) from a single sheep--That means they nerfed it by over 90%!!! Cut it in half, but over 90%???  Again, on Aberration, one of the first things that new players tame is a Ravager, which needs lamb chops to effectively tame.  How are new players supposed to tame them if they have to be LUCKY to get a single mutton from a sheep?  If a spino with over 500% melee only gets 1 mutton, a stone or metal pick isn't going to do sh*t.  
(1) U can bring the sheep to a map where theris are allowed, kill it and harvest with theri and transfer with raw mutton over, best if a few min before transfer timer is up.
(2) I never mentioned i was using wild sheep. In my previous post i alr mentioned that if u dont tame ovis u going have to deal with the low amount wild ones give. Tamed ones can lvl their hp to between 2k to 3k. Also it is on official server so no mods and no intensive breeding involved, that ovis was a bred one with 38 points in hp when born, from a wild tamed parent.
(3) Thats not much mutton with a chainsaw, previously my theri can gather 400+ from a single one, but i dont think its reduced by over 90%.

8 minutes ago, Castlerock said:

(1) U can bring the sheep to a map where theris are allowed, kill it and harvest with theri and transfer with raw mutton over, best if a few min before transfer timer is up.
(2) I never mentioned i was using wild sheep. In my previous post i alr mentioned that if u dont tame ovis u going have to deal with the low amount wild ones give. Tamed ones can lvl their hp to between 2k to 3k. Also it is on official server so no mods and no intensive breeding involved, that ovis was a bred one with 38 points in hp when born, from a wild tamed parent.
(3) Thats not much mutton with a chainsaw, previously my theri can gather 400+ from a single one, but i dont think its reduced by over 90%.

So, your solution to "there are no Theris allowed" is to involve numerous transfers? What a GD waste of time.  Have you ever even played Aberration?  Loot crates are exceedingly rare and almost always in dangerous areas, and there are no Obelisks.  Transferring mutton is completely impractical and would likely be completely impossible for someone just starting off on Aberration.  Not to mention, you say it's not over 90%, but if I'm getting 2 mutton from normally getting over 100...that's more than a 90% decrease.  You claimed your theri used to gather over 400, but now only managed about 70...that's still well over an 80% decrease.  I used to easily get 50-100 with a 500% melee Spino, now I get at MOST 2--that's well over a 90% decrease.

5 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

Unpopular opinion: I don't think 150s should be easily accessible to a level 1. They are meant to be accessible further down the line when you are more established.

I honestly have no idea what you're even talking about.  You referenced me saying something about starting out at a lvl 1, but no one mentioned anything about 150s being accessible to anything.  I have no idea if you're referencing sheep or Carnos or something else entirely.  But either way, it doesn't matter because wild dinos are RANDOM--it has nothing to do with them being "accessible."  

"If I was starting out!"--DILO?  it takes 2 1/2 hours just to tame a lvl 10 Therizino.  AND that's assuming you already have the resources to build a trap and other dinos to safely move around.  That's not starting out--starting out is you're a lvl 1 with nothing and you spawn in the middle of nowhere. 

Anyone think we have a good Theryzino when we have no kib and ned mutton to tame a Dino lmfao

Anyone can tame a theri as long as they got a trike, when i was starting out my trike gathered enough berries to keep the theri unconscious and fed. Reaching the lvl to make the saddle tho is another thing, but doing an explorer note run should help.

I really find this thread hard to believe.  I'm a huge way into singleplayer and have no idea what you people are talking about.  Ovis isn't really that good.  Singleplayers and tribes should be making a full assortment of kibble.  It's not even hard.  Besides, you need a good set-up in order to make Sweet Veggie Cakes, in order to really progress.

And,... why are people taming Theris with berries and not crops?  No wonder people are having so many problems.

As someone who has managed large groups of people, in real life, and over several MMOs, I will say with confidence that you nerds need to get your poop organized.   Start jumping over those lowest hurdles.

3 hours ago, DirebearGrylls said:

I honestly have no idea what you're even talking about.  You referenced me saying something about starting out at a lvl 1, but no one mentioned anything about 150s being accessible to anything.  I have no idea if you're referencing sheep or Carnos or something else entirely.  But either way, it doesn't matter because wild dinos are RANDOM--it has nothing to do with them being "accessible."  

Accessible = easy to get. The lower level dinos are not that hard to get: A level 90 ptera is only 10 minutes quicker on mutton than on prime, for instance. What I'm saying is that for a level 1 the existing taming methods, excluding mutton, are enough. Does that make it clearer for you?

45 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

Accessible = easy to get. The lower level dinos are not that hard to get: A level 90 ptera is only 10 minutes quicker on mutton than on prime, for instance. What I'm saying is that for a level 1 the existing taming methods, excluding mutton, are enough. Does that make it clearer for you?

Ok, which animals are dropping prime meat?

The only dino that can't kill you and drops prime meat is the Diplodocus. All other dinos that drop prime meat can kill you...

Have you tried with lvl 10 to kill a pack of Allos? How do you kill a Paracer/Bronto as a low lvl with prim Bow?

On 6/5/2020 at 9:34 PM, TheBlueB0mber said:

precedent

noun

prec·e·dent | \ ˈpre-sə-dənt  \

Definition:

1: an earlier occurrence of something similar

2a: something done or said that may serve as an example or rule to authorize or justify a subsequent act of the same or an analogous kinda verdict that had no precedent

b: the convention established by such a precedent or by long practice

3: a person or thing that serves as a model

Calm down, it's just a small mistake. Ever hear of those? This response to a misused word seems a bit over the top. As to everything else, the ovis did not need this big nerf.

21 hours ago, TheDonn said:

What on earth? How is some without the resources for veggie cake going to get an even decently leveled therizino? Depending on how you progress through the game, you might even have acess to sweet veggie cake before cryos. This is not going to work for a starring player. Maybe ovis were a bit OP, but why couldn't they halve the muttin drops, instead of practically eliminating them?

1 hour ago, cyborg70 said:

Ok, which animals are dropping prime meat?

The only dino that can't kill you and drops prime meat is the Diplodocus. All other dinos that drop prime meat can kill you...

Have you tried with lvl 10 to kill a pack of Allos? How do you kill a Paracer/Bronto as a low lvl with prim Bow?

Well, I'm not sure we're getting any further in this discussion if you think it's reasonable that you should get top tier taming food without any effort. Titanoboas are quite easy to kill, but even easier are Stegos which you can take on foot with a bow! Or Sarcos, which you can outrun while running backwards on 100% speed. Honestly, I don't get why it needs to be so ridiculously easy?!

Sure, I can agree this nerf is over the top. However, I do think mutton was way OP before, especially considering the amounts one would get! While I understand this change was due to performance issues, I'd prefer to see the taming effectiveness reduced a lot from giving mutton so that sure, you could get a fast tame, but you would sacrifice some levels and it wouldn't be optimal - for that one would need kibble. The difference between mutton and kibble taming is way too small imo.

But having said all that - I'm nowhere near your level of wanting it insanely easy, nor will I ever get there. For you, I think you need an unofficial server with wildly increased rates.

On 6/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, TheDonn said:

It is possible they are trying to get people to have actual Ovis breeding farms.  I dunno, a 900 HP bred Ovis will turn out with 1080 HP at full imprint.  Level it in HP and I wonder how much mutton it gives still. 

I don't know if the scaling will be sufficient to support one of the big tames (Mosa, 270 mutton for a level 150 on 1x) with a single Ovis still, even with an Ovis harvested at I dunno, 3500 HP after leveling, how much would you get?  I think they are looking at it in terms of how much would go into kibble for the equivalent dino.  A 150 Mosa on 1x takes 92 Exceptional Kibbles, that's a lotta damn eggs, soups, and other stuff.  It's not crazy crazy hard to get 92 Exceptional-tier eggs, but maybe they are trying to shift from a "Ptera-flap to the Highlands with a mid-melee-pumped Survivor and a 140+ Apprentice Pick and walk off with 300 Mutton" situation we were in before.

That doesn't really undo the frustration.  It sucks that the situation has shifted like this, but the playerbase will find a way.

Off to test mutton gathering.

This is a fair reply. Thank you

1 hour ago, DodoRaptor said:

Calm down, it's just a small mistake. Ever hear of those? This response to a misused word seems a bit over the top. As to everything else, the ovis did not need this big nerf.

What on earth? How is some without the resources for veggie cake going to get an even decently leveled therizino? Depending on how you progress through the game, you might even have acess to sweet veggie cake before cryos. This is not going to work for a starring player. Maybe ovis were a bit OP, but why couldn't they halve the muttin drops, instead of practically eliminating them?

Easy. You berry tame one. It's one of the most useful harvest mounts to have early game. It's not hard to tame them in primitive/ steel age. I've done it many times

2 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

A Therizino is just time, my friend!  Time, and lots of berries.  A stone tier level Survivor with one lowbie tamed Stego (or Trike) can get a Therizino.  I did it with a wood trap when I was still very green, right at the time the Therizino released.  It didn't work out perfectly...  Because the Therizino destroyed a wooden dino gate in the middle of KOing her and killed my Stego (was a level 10 pre-tame so no big deal), but I still had a spare berry-getter in my base.  That thing paid itself off tenfold though.  Glad I stuck it out and tamed it.  It was a level 35 pre-tame, and took a long, long time.  She basically secured tranqs and berries for every tame moving forward, and seeds for crops, and tons of wood...  Until she was killed because I got Titan'd by some douchebag griefers on the server in Early Access (pre-ORP, when ARK was griefer-paradise) that wanted my spot.  I didn't move and stayed there till WildCard decommissioned the server, incidentally.

Forgive my tangent about Titanosaurs, but this whole discussion is ultimately about gathering mutton effectively.  If you can't or (more appropriately) don't want to bother with taming a Therizino, but have veggie cakes and a low level Argy, just tame sheep and haul em back to your base!  The goal is to gather mutton effectively.  But as you said, it is all about how one progresses through the game.  If you don't progress at all and are trying to mutton-tame Gigas at level 25, then yeah, it will be hard for you to accomplish that (but still not impossible).  If you make cakes, tame sheep, let em level a bit into HP or breed them, it will be a bit simpler to get big amounts of mutton per sheep for carnivore tames.  It just isn't as easy as flying to Highlands on a lowbie Ptera and c-spinning your way to 200+ mutton anymore.

I see your point though.  Halving the original gathered amount would definitely be better, but WildCard (as we have seen) is about finding the bottom-barrel solution and coming up from there.  This is probably the bottom.  Maybe they'll give us a bit back?

EDIT:  @d1nk said it first, hahaha.  The sentiment remains.

2 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

A Therizino is just time, my friend!  Time, and lots of berries.  A stone tier level Survivor with one lowbie tamed Stego (or Trike) can get a Therizino.  I did it with a wood trap when I was still very green, right at the time the Therizino released.  It didn't work out perfectly...  Because the Therizino destroyed a wooden dino gate in the middle of KOing her and killed my Stego (was a level 10 pre-tame so no big deal), but I still had a spare berry-getter in my base.  That thing paid itself off tenfold though.  Glad I stuck it out and tamed it.  It was a level 35 pre-tame, and took a long, long time.  She basically secured tranqs and berries for every tame moving forward, and seeds for crops, and tons of wood...  Until she was killed because I got Titan'd by some douchebag griefers on the server in Early Access (pre-ORP, when ARK was griefer-paradise) that wanted my spot.  I didn't move and stayed there till WildCard decommissioned the server, incidentally.

Forgive my tangent about Titanosaurs, but this whole discussion is ultimately about gathering mutton effectively.  If you can't or (more appropriately) don't want to bother with taming a Therizino, but have veggie cakes and a low level Argy, just tame sheep and haul em back to your base!  The goal is to gather mutton effectively.  But as you said, it is all about how one progresses through the game.  If you don't progress at all and are trying to mutton-tame Gigas at level 25, then yeah, it will be hard for you to accomplish that (but still not impossible).  If you make cakes, tame sheep, let em level a bit into HP or breed them, it will be a bit simpler to get big amounts of mutton per sheep for carnivore tames.  It just isn't as easy as flying to Highlands on a lowbie Ptera and c-spinning your way to 200+ mutton anymore.

I see your point though.  Halving the original gathered amount would definitely be better, but WildCard (as we have seen) is about finding the bottom-barrel solution and coming up from there.  This is probably the bottom.  Maybe they'll give us a bit back?

EDIT:  @d1nk said it first, hahaha.  The sentiment remains.

You said it much more eloquently.  Mine was akin to "get gud scrub" 

Archived