[v310.80] Ovis/Sheep Changes Discussion

Kanosa

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ovis NEEDS To Be Put Back To Normal Making the Ovis spawn rate so low WILL make people quit, and it'll create an even worse president for Wildcard. I'm not going to play a game where the devs can't understand how their own games work. If you make it so you're not able to hit the sheep as much as before, increase the mutton you get per hit. This is terrible, and I will not continue with ark if the devs keep making these stupid drastic decisions.

The ovis is a common spawn on maps like rag, val and aber, so how is their spawn rate low?

Food does not increase pelt and hide gathering.

I thought leveling food is for increasing the speed at which their wool grows back after shearing them, not the amount of pelt and hide gathered from their corpse.

I would have to fill my dino quota with sheep to make that viable, or add 3000000 pods  plus I am not good at murdering my own pets and breeding sucks and takes forever, they still tend to fall into the ground I think. 

When i was breeding my ovis they are born at the same level as the parents when unrendered, they only fall thru the ground when i rendered the ovis giving birth.

17 hours ago, Kanosa said:

How is spending hours making kibble any risk, I'm not sure what you mean by risk vs reward, and can you elaborate on how 4x original rates in early access, by the way I play small tribes which is 3x rate.

"So as we see here, despite the constant problems, some players are still managing to come out pretty well for themselves. Lets seeee....There's sheep in the game? Oh, yeah! Ovis! Almost forgot about that one..."

"Yeah, they're either finding them or gathering resources for a tame, then keeping them to get around better and even succeed at building up from little in order to survive better."

"Indeeeed... How about we just go ahead and tweak that for 'em."

"Genius!"

See? It's fine when you take into consideration the fact that you aren't actually fighting to survive the game - you're fighting to survive the dev team actively working to screw yo completely over.

-SurviveTheDevs.

9 hours ago, Fukushu said:

I'm sorry for all the oldschool ARK players that you had to spend 24 hours taming a Theri  but that is just simply stupid. No one in their right mind would ever do that unless you have no responsibilities IRL. 

I'm pretty sure that the majority of the playerbase are happy with the rates right now with the ongoing 2x event and you ''oldschoolers'' stating in every thread where Wildcard clearly ruins something that ''OHHHH but in my daaays we had to farm on 0,5 times the rates and raise gigas without croys''. Please stop, it is horrible and only for actual giga nerd gamers with no life other than ARK. 

I don't mind your playstyle but it has NOTHING to do with today's official servers where most of the playerbase plays on and rightfully protests here on the forum against such baseless changes. I bet most of you arguing with official players don't even play with 0,5 farming rates on unofficial or without cryos. So why keep mentioning ''we had it so hard back then'' (This simply sounds like boomers being angry at the younger generations just that real life boomers were able to tame 1 dino with 1 mutton in their economy while today's generation would have to spend 20-30 mutton to tame 1 dino :D )

The game has forever changed and evolved, don't hold on to the nostalgia. People wished for WoW classic and most had fun for some weeks/months until realizing that the endgame is horrible which were happier times in their memories.

An wild Ovi giving 2 mutton is just wrong considering that they are very rare on some maps. PVE or even worse PVE Unofficial players with boosted rates arguing over this with Official PVP players which are 2 different worlds, 2 totally different playstyles of the same game is not right.

Those players are denouncing the others while trying to gatekeep the artificial level of difficulty in ARK that is tied to increasing or decreasing the amount of resources you get which ONLY increases the time you are forced to farm. If the game difficulty is only tied to how long you have to farm a low tier resource there is simply something wrong with the game and if the increase of the rates ruins your gaming experience you should hopefully know that you are probably in the very minority of the playerbase that enjoys such things. 

I agree - games change and evolve, at least GaaS like ARK is. What you're missing in your argument though, is not that old school ARK players are saying they want it changed back or brag about being hard core: It's the point that gamers as a group is insanely lazy and they will always whine and complain about wanting things easier. If you just forget about the history, it's easy to trick yourself into thinking what we have now is as hard as it's ever been and it needs to be easy. Bringing up the history is trying to put things into perspective - it has already been made easier! And if you just keep making things easier you'll remove the challenge and make the game boring.

As soon as it's been made easier though, people get used to it, and new people come in to that being the normal rates, and then they start complaining again about how it needs to be easier -> rinse and repeat.

The funny thing here is... there *is* already a way to make the game just as easy as you want! Just play or create an unofficial server with rates boosted to the level you want them at! 

Mind you - I'm not saying anything about whether the current rates need tweaking, I'm just telling you that mindlessly rejecting the arguments of people who just want to tell you that the game has already been made a whole gigantic lot easier and that we can't just keep making it easier without any thought to it - the way so many people are whining to make happen - that's just goes to show that you're no better than the whiners. If you instead just argue for why a certain nerf is needed, we might be able to take your (and the whiners') arguments seriously.

First off all there are no old school ark players they are alpha/beta testers that started the game while it still was in development. So stop comparing a released game with pre release versions. So giving examples like meat taming your first dino for 24h is not relevant because it was testing stage.

Now it is released and  BIG thank you to everyone who had proven meat or berry taming for 24h is not normal. I am playing this game for about 4 years as a solo player it is doable on official servers. Improvements like QoL makes the game available for longer period and keeping it interesting for everyone since there are new games releases each time.

Ovis meat nerf is just insane might as well get the kibble farms up again getting 1 - 2 meat from an ovis that use to give 20 is a big negative change atleast make it stackable aswel

@Zahleathe biggest point is that a game shouldn't revolve around how much you would have to mindlessly farm an early game resource to progress. This nerf only hits new players and PVP players that have to build up new. 

If someone says that 2 weeks for raising a Giga that you have to imprint every 8 hours is too much and you counter with ''oooh but we had it way harder back in my days'' I would declare you as game addicted. No one in their right mind with a real life going on, with responsibilities would be against nerfing/reducing something like that.

I saw people before arguing that they had to raise Gigas without cryos and saying ''that was real work''. Whoever says something like that is not in the right place in their life and shouldn't be taking seriously because he is in the very minority of the whole playerbase.

Making senseless things like stone, wood farming or early game taming harder has no reasoning other than to artificially increase the game time. The game does NOT become harder that way it becomes more grindy. Make bosses harder, make dinos stronger, give them abilities. Other games have shown how to make great bossfights or give dinos/enemy monsters some nice abilities. The raptor pounce was such an ability but it was removed. (to be fair, it was a buggy mess but instead of a fix they removed it.)

17 hours ago, Fukushu said:

@TheDonn I's doable but this only hurts newer players or PVP players that have to start fresh after a wipe.

That's a really good point.  Sometimes I stick to PvE-only impact of things, I should do better.  But yeah considering a PvP player, this would make things hellish for starters...  And tears of the griefed all the more sweet to the griefers, which is basically incentive to grief even more than currently.

17 hours ago, Castlerock said:

I thought leveling food is for increasing the speed at which their wool grows back after shearing them, not the amount of pelt and hide gathered from their corpse.

I've heard pretty commonly for years, people saying that pumping food gives more pelt and hide when harvested.  Wool growth is controlled by the server multiplier and food stat, yes!  But I've heard the other, and I've honestly never food-pumped a Sheep so I thought I'd test it to see if it actually gives any more resources.

18 hours ago, Castlerock said:

The ovis is a common spawn on maps like rag, val and aber, so how is their spawn rate low?

When i was breeding my ovis they are born at the same level as the parents when unrendered, they only fall thru the ground when i rendered the ovis giving birth.

1: No it's raptoring not, at least considering you get 2 raptorING MUTTON AT MOST PER SHEEP

2: What if you don't tame a ovis? What if you don't have sweet veggie cake? What then?

3: ^

I have a Mastercraft Chainsaw which has always been the OP mutton getter, and it gathered TWO mutton from a sheep!  I used a Spinosaurus with nearly 600% melee...ONE mutton.  Seriously, ONE?  I get if they don't want to give like 80 mutton per sheep, but I shouldn't be getting ONE!!  Why even bother having the sheep if their harvest rate is so low they're useless?  Not to mention, if you're starting on an Aberration map and want to tame a Ravager, Lamb chops are the best way to do it.  Now it's IMPOSSIBLE to do.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:02 AM, Aylana314159 said:

Then it's like everything else in a survival game risk vs reward.

The current rates are 2x on official servers right now and for the foreseeable future. This is really like 4x of the original rates in early access. Go back a watch video of game play back then and how taming was handled.

You are also leaving out that back in the day Mutton had almost the exact same taming effectiveness as kibble, so almost nobody used kibble on carnivores.  This game was never really set up well in the sense of "progression", it has always been a mess of speed grinding to avoid the BS of how easily stuff dies in this game.  I'd argue that instead of nerfing mutton yet again they should have added a herbivore equivalent instead.  Mutton & honey should be for good fast taming while sacrificing ten or so levels, kibble should be for hardcore max level breeding for stats.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:26 AM, Jerryn said:

Oh, I remember the days of the original 1X, when there were no crossbows or tranq darts(carried extra bows and repair materials; repaired my bow a few times when tranqing high level rexes), and no kibble, much less mutton.   You had to try to time your prime meat runs, and hope you scored; sometimes, you just came up empty on prime and the next bite was on regular meat.  And, then you learned how to fast transfer prime from your tame to yourself to the beast you were taming to minimize drop in spoil time while in your inventory.

Even when kibble started to become a thing, getting eggs was a lot of time; you spent days or weeks collecting scorpion eggs so you could make kibble for a high level rex.   From what I remember, the only time there was a chance for and egg was during re-rendering.  And no Oviraptors to help out back then.

Its for normal rate. We go on smaltribe for x3 ! And even with x3 its poop.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:00 AM, Fukushu said:

@TheDonn I's doable but this only hurts newer players or PVP players that have to start fresh after a wipe. 

Everyone else will just use kibble because they give the better result while being easy to make if you are already set up.

This patch has hurt new players and freshly starting PVP players and no one else sadly.

IMO this nerf is complete nonsense, this is not 2015-2016 ARK were jobless or game addicted people spend all their day taming a theri or griffin with normal meat for 20 hours...

Is Wildcard trying to cater to that group of gamers? If that is the case I would really enjoy a statement from them saying it  :D 

Then bring back all old kibble not this poop one .

I have a Mastercraft Chainsaw which has always been the OP mutton getter, and it gathered TWO mutton from a sheep!  I used a Spinosaurus with nearly 600% melee...ONE mutton.  Seriously, ONE?  I get if they don't want to give like 80 mutton per sheep, but I shouldn't be getting ONE!!  Why even bother having the sheep if their harvest rate is so low they're useless?  Not to mention, if you're starting on an Aberration map and want to tame a Ravager, Lamb chops are the best way to do it.  Now it's IMPOSSIBLE to do.
Theri still the best at harvesting, just tested and got 69 mutton, tho its during 2x. Still, it will affect those starting out or without one to harvest with.2166841731dacd4c52d060977f8f6f22.jpg

1: No it's raptoring not, at least considering you get 2 raptorING MUTTON AT MOST PER SHEEP

2: What if you don't tame a ovis? What if you don't have sweet veggie cake? What then?

3: ^

First 2 are at highlands on rag, next 3 are on different sides of a lake on val, then last 3 are at the portal spawn area, so how are they not a common spawn on those maps? Then what u call their spawn rate on island? Non-existent? Maybe u should go check the maps first before saying they are not a common spawn. And what does getting 2 mutton at most got to do with their spawn rate?3aca47f774eebcd25046b77f9bc31268.jpg79788180bdbe5a29cd7d439d9c08e709.jpgd726123bdc3053f263c6fe271dc7e560.jpg7c1412294f3ebd54fbdd438cb5c0ccce.jpg699ef7cb10973307a6cc251cd7fa8e05.jpg695abd2431befde13c0262b810a6eb5c.jpg1a169374dc226544f45d8df668247d25.jpg92b25b9d6beaa8eabae66e2d3fe147ff.jpg

Points 2 and 3 weren't replying to u, but if u want to, point 3 was just to mention how i avoid baby ovis falling thru floor if breeding more for mutton farming. For point 2, if u dont tame them, then u have to deal with the low amounts they give, and cakes are not that hard to make. I say taming them to raise their health is still worth the cakes, esp if got a theri to harvest it.

Damm the devs found out Ovis were useful so they nerfed it to hell like everything else, took their time tho.  Next it will be bronto with one tail swing inventory capped on berries nerf. (oops maybe I shouldn't have said that) xD

New map, new flyers upcoming, don't get ur hopes up cos all that eye candy will be smashed with the nerf hammer

Archived