Breeding Help

ArkLover7891

Breeding Help

Hello, I’m going to be getting into breeding some Yutri’s soon, and would like some advice. So far I know that you want 40+ points in a specific stat when you are trying to get your wild dinos. You want to keep one of the mutation counters free from mutations (don’t know if it was the mother’s or ftaher’s), and not to level up or imprint the breeding dinos. Any advice, or links to any breeding guides?

Thanks in advance!

You want to keep all the mutations on the father's side when breeding for new mutations- Breed a mutated male to a bunch of unmutated females. If you get a female with a mutation that you want, breed it with an unmutated male until you get a male with those mutations, then breed it to all the females again, and so on.

5 minutes ago, TheEclipseee said:

You want to keep all the mutations on the father's side when breeding for new mutations- Breed a mutated male to a bunch of unmutated females. If you get a female with a mutation that you want, breed it with an unmutated male until you get a male with those mutations, then breed it to all the females again, and so on.

Ok, so keep the maternal side  with a mutation counter of 0?

5 hours ago, TheEclipseee said:

Yep. Only time you want to be breeding to a mutated female is when you're trying to 'move' her mutation onto a male. Your main breeding line should always have only males mutated.

A couple small caveats,  I’d say after getting a female with the next mutation in a chain,  it’s using a clean male to move the stat over to a male.   This process sometimes keeps producing female copies before a male pops.  

I’d say it’s almost not worth saving mutations that pop on females with yuti.    If it’s on official rates,  it could just be faster to try again.

it also doesn’t matter what sides the counts are on with the stud.  If the total is over 20 from both sides combined or just on one side,  that stud cannot supply a mutation.  The clean breeders with zero counts are doing all the heavy lifting when that is the case.

3 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

A couple small caveats,  I’d say after getting a female with the next mutation in a chain,  it’s using a clean male to move the stat over to a male.   This process sometimes keeps producing female copies before a male pops.  

I’d say it’s almost not worth saving mutations that pop on females with yuti.    If it’s on official rates,  it could just be faster to try again.

it also doesn’t matter what sides the counts are on with the stud.  If the total is over 20 from both sides combined or just on one side,  that stud cannot supply a mutation.  The clean breeders with zero counts are doing all the heavy lifting when that is the case.

So, it’s best to have a clean female, but if it’s on an Official server, it could become tedious to get a male?

6 hours ago, ArkLover7891 said:

So, it’s best to have a clean female, but if it’s on an Official server, it could become tedious to get a male?

On normal rates a yut is an 8 day raise.  Right now it’s a 4 day raise.  You could breed 4 more rounds with the ones you have while raising a female to turn around to breed to try and get it over to a male.
  In that time you may have more luck just breeding again and again until you get a male with the mutation.  It really depends on the mutation count you are working with and how many females you throw at the problem.

when using a female to move the stat over you would be limited to 1 egg day to try right now on 2x rates.  That could mean another week of trying to move to a male,  which is why it “might” be better to just keep trying for a male with what you were already working with. Usually, I do both and hedge my bets.

I just started really breeding on Official (Yuty and Argy), and watching some videos on YouTube that explained the process really helped! Biggest time saver has been the tip to not worry about imprinting on breeders, so once I get the Yuty up to Juv stage I can leave them out when I'm not on and it cuts down on the time spent raising them. I ended up making a male and 15 females with the same stats and levels, so when I mass hatch I just look for the babies that have a level 2 levels higher than the parents to figure out if they got a mutation. Was able to get my first stamina mutation on a male, so he's now my stud to continue breeding for stamina.

Good luck! 

Wiki has a guide to breeding but, sometimes even that can be confusing for new breeders. Many people breed dinos in different ways and can get complicated and frustrating when watching one video to the next.  Personally I just keep breeding for example a male with 10 muts in HP with a bunch of zero mutated females until a new mutation in HP stat. Raise the baby with 11 mutations and just rinse and repeat.

I doesn't matter which side the mutations are on as the male will always breed with zero mutated females, therefore the mutations will always be on the male side The mutation counter can go way past 20 and there is some visual broken glitch where the numbers can go into negative figures. I wouldn't worry too much about the counter

To keep track of stats & mutations I would recommend search Google for "Ark smart breeder" and download it. That's probably the number one tool most if not all breeders use.

5 hours ago, reddotjellytot said:

I doesn't matter which side the mutations are on as the male will always breed with zero mutated females, therefore the mutations will always be on the male side The mutation counter can go way past 20 and there is some visual broken glitch where the numbers can go into negative figures. I wouldn't worry too much about the counter

There’s actually an important difference at a couple stages with the counters.  The moment a parent has 20 count total,  not on just One side,  but total -  it can no longer supply a mutation.   The moment the counter goes negative,  it can supply a mutation again.

6 hours ago, ArkLover7891 said:

I know this is a little off topic, but how many troughs would I need for 2 argies and a giga?

Assuming ur not using a powered tek trough, bit of a guess for me tbh. Can guess probably 3 normal troughs should allow survival of 10%+ of those dinos u have over night, say like an 8 hour sleep but I have not used them since meat stacks to 40, account for spoilage too.  Put them at a trough with no other dinos nearby and time how much they eat in say 30min then calculate the time it will last, bear in mind as they age the slower they eat too.

Hey guys,

I have some questions about breeding too. Early I read that you would want 40+ in a stat that you desire. Is this pre or after tame? And is there anything I can compare too? Right now I have a breeding pair of Pteranodons (after some breeding, no mutations at all). They have 49 health, 43 stamina, 41 weight and 39 melee. Is this a good base?

4 hours ago, Smiza said:

Hey guys,

I have some questions about breeding too. Early I read that you would want 40+ in a stat that you desire. Is this pre or after tame? And is there anything I can compare too? Right now I have a breeding pair of Pteranodons (after some breeding, no mutations at all). They have 49 health, 43 stamina, 41 weight and 39 melee. Is this a good base?

I personally go for anything wild tame with 40+ i was lucky to get 48 in dmg on a megatherium once :) 

Those pteras are not bad i guess u combined the stats to get that :)

BTW that is after tame stats u are looking for, u need to get lucky on the stat rolls

Archived