Will it work?

DodoRaptor

28 minutes ago, DodoRaptor said:

Will it work?

I found a level 116 sabertooth in the snowy biome on The Island. If I get a perfect kibble tame, will it be an acceptable cave mount, at least for the easy cave? Responses greatly appreciated.

116 isnt a wild level you would find on regular difficulty settings so its kind of hard to say. Whats your max wild lvl? But im sure in general it should be okay for an easy cave.

Edit: or was 116 the level after you tamed it you mean?

On scale 116 of 150 sabretoth like raptors have way low hp and damage for doing anything.

Don't look youtube, all lies there with 99% of cases non on official servers.

For cave imprint and level direwolf, high level can have about 10k hp and 900 damage.

Base damage is less than thyla but is fast, so it have high dps.

Or get pack of vulture, they clear area pretty fast but they are less efficient for chitin farming.

7 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

Will it work?

I found a level 116 sabertooth in the snowy biome on The Island. If I get a perfect kibble tame, will it be an acceptable cave mount, at least for the easy cave? Responses greatly appreciated.

Yes, as long as the saber has fairly normal stats it's definitely good enough for the easy cave, as long as you take you move slowly and don't fight too many things at once. You could tame that saber, immediately enter the cave and start adding levels with the animals you kill during the early part of the cave.

Having said that, my suggestion would be to tame it, then take it out for a 15-30 minute run, kill everything you can and put 10-15 levels on it before you go into the cave. This will let you get a little big of practice with how far saber move when they jump, run & run/jump, and it will also let you add some levels to any stat that you think needs to be a little higher.

p.s. Something else that's important for all caves (and boss fights) is good saddles. That saber will be good enough for the easy cave, and maybe even some of the harder caves, but if you have a good saddle it will make your cave run more fun. The better your saddle is, less damage the saber will take while fighting because of the armor rating of the saddle, which means you'll have to stop less often to feed it to rebuild hit points. This is why a lot of players prefer sabers to dire wolves in caves, because the game doesn't have saddles for dire wolves so they can never get the armor benefit of saddles.

The saber is kinda glass cannon tame. Yes it goes into tight spots easier, and yes it can be a good cave mount for "SOME" of the caves, but when it comes down to the wire, when it comes to the much harder caves {swamp cave and the ice cave come to mind} the saber should not be used and will absolutely let you down. Also in some of the normal caves  where the megalania and megalosarus spawn, you are best to avoid them at all costs. And if cornered by a large amount of bats and spiders, better to get the heck out of dodge than put up a fight.

Now with that said, a higher level saber is much more capable of dealing with these problems, especially if the stats are all in the right area's {health being the most important} and if you can equip it with a very good saddle to help reduce incoming damage, it becomes a much more useable cave runner. However with all of that said, in all honesty, a thylacoleo is perhaps one of the better tames to take into a cave....Much higher health, better damage, lot more stamina, also has the ability to jump, but the best trait....the number one reason for a thylo, its ability to climb walls.

Thylo's ability to climb vertically is one of the biggest reasons why its a better tame to bring into a cave as some caves have walls you can take advantage of to short cut with. Just level up some health and melee, and a level 80 with the right stats would be better than a 116 saber even if it has the right stats. 

42 minutes ago, DodoRaptor said:

So, I've tamed it, done the lower south cave cave, and gotten the artifact. Thanks for the advice. Other than arthropleura, we just shredded through everything. She hits hard, but has bad health, so I am only leveling that. Not sure if I'm ready for the chitin cave.

If you want, you might try and go find a couple explorer notes, then go on a murdering frenzy of all the dodo's and such.....The extra EXP bonus from the explorer notes will come in handy real quick for that health bump.
Best I can offer for the health issue.

10 hours ago, wizard03 said:

The saber is kinda glass cannon tame. Yes it goes into tight spots easier, and yes it can be a good cave mount for "SOME" of the caves, but when it comes down to the wire, when it comes to the much harder caves {swamp cave and the ice cave come to mind} the saber should not be used and will absolutely let you down. Also in some of the normal caves  where the megalania and megalosarus spawn, you are best to avoid them at all costs. And if cornered by a large amount of bats and spiders, better to get the heck out of dodge than put up a fight.

Now with that said, a higher level saber is much more capable of dealing with these problems, especially if the stats are all in the right area's {health being the most important} and if you can equip it with a very good saddle to help reduce incoming damage, it becomes a much more useable cave runner. However with all of that said, in all honesty, a thylacoleo is perhaps one of the better tames to take into a cave....Much higher health, better damage, lot more stamina, also has the ability to jump, but the best trait....the number one reason for a thylo, its ability to climb walls.

Thylo's ability to climb vertically is one of the biggest reasons why its a better tame to bring into a cave as some caves have walls you can take advantage of to short cut with. Just level up some health and melee, and a level 80 with the right stats would be better than a 116 saber even if it has the right stats. 

Yes, I really want a thyla, but I only have two yutys (one male, and one female) so I don't have a good source of their kibble. I need to get around to taming more, so I can be ready for a high-level thyla, but I've spent a lot of time up north lately and need a little break from it. I don't intend for the sabertooth to do any caves except the maybe all the broodmother ones (the south, chitin, and lava). 

On 6/3/2020 at 10:50 PM, DodoRaptor said:

Yes, I really want a thyla, but I only have two yutys (one male, and one female) so I don't have a good source of their kibble. I need to get around to taming more, so I can be ready for a high-level thyla, but I've spent a lot of time up north lately and need a little break from it. I don't intend for the sabertooth to do any caves except the maybe all the broodmother ones (the south, chitin, and lava). 

Id be wary of taking the saber into the lava cave, one of those jumps is a tough one, and the climbing ability really pays off for it. But I spose its still manageable if your carefull and you bring plenty of meds. Maybe a few extra stacks of meat as well to help heal your kitty.
And as for gunning for a perfect taming job with kibble, you might try to settle for second best, and that is by using cooked mutton. Cooked mutton is the runner up for kibble when it comes to taming the thylo…...which is kinda weird. Most of the other carnivores in the game prefer raw meat, and while mutton is allways high on the list, cooked anything is truly a thylo thing.

But still, a sheep here and there, and boom. Not perfect, but much better than nothing, mutton.

29 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Id be wary of taking the saber into the lava cave, one of those jumps is a tough one, and the climbing ability really pays off for it. But I spose its still manageable if your carefull and you bring plenty of meds. Maybe a few extra stacks of meat as well to help heal your kitty.
And as for gunning for a perfect taming job with kibble, you might try to settle for second best, and that is by using cooked mutton. Cooked mutton is the runner up for kibble when it comes to taming the thylo…...which is kinda weird. Most of the other carnivores in the game prefer raw meat, and while mutton is allways high on the list, cooked anything is truly a thylo thing.

But still, a sheep here and there, and boom. Not perfect, but much better than nothing, mutton.

I got chitin done today, but I am a bit scared for lava. For the last two jumps, I'll definitely just use a grappling hook to get rid of any risk of falling into that liquid death. I do have some sheep, but I hear they were just massively nerfed, so... yeah. I have a "shopping list" of sorts for mounts for the other caves, not doing any those with Cavertooth. Carno Island will definitely be a thyla, maybe I can try using one for upper south (with cryo). The one I'm most scared of is the no-mount one, especially since the wiki says there is a bug with the artifact spawning. You can't always trust the wiki, but I REALLY don't want to fight my way, unmounted, through hordes of bats and spiders, and then find no artifact. So... yeah again. Caves are tough.

You may wanna place some sleeping bags and run the cave naked first just to know the route and herd wild dinos to where your mount can kill them, there are bats guarding the lava cave artifact, and I wouldn't risk jumping to the little island its on with a saber, so you need to lure them away from it so your saber can eat them.

16 minutes ago, Thyme said:

You may wanna place some sleeping bags and run the cave naked first just to know the route and herd wild dinos to where your mount can kill them, there are bats guarding the lava cave artifact, and I wouldn't risk jumping to the little island its on with a saber, so you need to lure them away from it so your saber can eat them.

Good advice. I've watched some videos and I'm not concerned about navigating, but I will make sure to pull any fights to a safe location. For that I'll just use a crossbow, since it's cheaper than a longneck, and I don't need to kill them, just herd them.

On 6/5/2020 at 8:32 PM, DodoRaptor said:

I got chitin done today, but I am a bit scared for lava. For the last two jumps, I'll definitely just use a grappling hook to get rid of any risk of falling into that liquid death. I do have some sheep, but I hear they were just massively nerfed, so... yeah. I have a "shopping list" of sorts for mounts for the other caves, not doing any those with Cavertooth. Carno Island will definitely be a thyla, maybe I can try using one for upper south (with cryo). The one I'm most scared of is the no-mount one, especially since the wiki says there is a bug with the artifact spawning. You can't always trust the wiki, but I REALLY don't want to fight my way, unmounted, through hordes of bats and spiders, and then find no artifact. So... yeah again. Caves are tough.

yeah, they nerfed hard. I took a ascendant chainsaw to a wild lvl 14 sheep, and got about 12 mutton out of it. x.x If you got a breeding farm, its no big deal. Just level up their health, get something ascendant grade to carve with, and its not a big deal to throw two or 3 ovis onto the grill, but you better have the ability to breed more.
personally, I always have a handful of cooked mutton on standby anyhow in the fridge. But with the nerf, I now have 4 "sacrificial" sheep in the cryo fridge.

As for the caves, yeah. You either dart in, grab the artifact, and dart out. Or just tank it out with a high level plow tame. And sadly, can confirm the bug about the "skylord" artifact. I thought it was cause I built a base literally ontop of it, but if there is something more going on, then that must be whats going on cause I cannot get it to spawn in for me at all. =/ Its just bats and spidyes. You can use a pump shotgun, health potions, lesser antidote, and there might be enough room for a saber tooth once you get inside the cave, but there is a couple of pits where you gotta get over, or avoid. So maybe a crossbow and grappling hook to deal with them.

And while that cave may seem or sound bad, I absolutely insist that the worst caves is the ice cave south of the skylord cave {artifact of the strong I think its called} And the east water cave is a for sure pain. The ice cave, you can run a yuty in, but nothing any bigger. And the water cave…...well, its much more advisable to dart in on a high speed water tame, snag the artifact, and get back out. But if you get a really REALLY good mosa, then maybe you can plow it. I find this a good place to try and find the alpha water creatures.....tuso, mosa, sharky…..however its very very very dangerous. Perhaps the most dangerous. If you think your going to plow this cave, your wrong. In a game where I normally see level 20-30, Iv found level 120 mosa's. Sadly Iv also discovered that you cannot tame these guys for a later run either. Which super sux. I knocked out a 140 mosa, tried to use exceptional kibble, noticed no taming bar, looked it up, and discovered I wasted 200 tranq arrows and the materials for a taming pen. x.x

So if those first couple caves are a bit of a learning curve, the last few caves are downright dreadful...Its in these caves where you start to ponder "alternatives" to the normal plow job. But if you do manage to just slowly work your way through them, and if your lucky enough to find a loot drop, the rewards are very beneficial. Iv found my mastercraft rex in one of those loot crates, and since its a blueprint, I was able to hook my entire army up with them.

11 hours ago, wizard03 said:

yeah, they nerfed hard. I took a ascendant chainsaw to a wild lvl 14 sheep, and got about 12 mutton out of it. x.x If you got a breeding farm, its no big deal. Just level up their health, get something ascendant grade to carve with, and its not a big deal to throw two or 3 ovis onto the grill, but you better have the ability to breed more.
personally, I always have a handful of cooked mutton on standby anyhow in the fridge. But with the nerf, I now have 4 "sacrificial" sheep in the cryo fridge.

As for the caves, yeah. You either dart in, grab the artifact, and dart out. Or just tank it out with a high level plow tame. And sadly, can confirm the bug about the "skylord" artifact. I thought it was cause I built a base literally ontop of it, but if there is something more going on, then that must be whats going on cause I cannot get it to spawn in for me at all. =/ Its just bats and spidyes. You can use a pump shotgun, health potions, lesser antidote, and there might be enough room for a saber tooth once you get inside the cave, but there is a couple of pits where you gotta get over, or avoid. So maybe a crossbow and grappling hook to deal with them.

And while that cave may seem or sound bad, I absolutely insist that the worst caves is the ice cave south of the skylord cave {artifact of the strong I think its called} And the east water cave is a for sure pain. The ice cave, you can run a yuty in, but nothing any bigger. And the water cave…...well, its much more advisable to dart in on a high speed water tame, snag the artifact, and get back out. But if you get a really REALLY good mosa, then maybe you can plow it. I find this a good place to try and find the alpha water creatures.....tuso, mosa, sharky…..however its very very very dangerous. Perhaps the most dangerous. If you think your going to plow this cave, your wrong. In a game where I normally see level 20-30, Iv found level 120 mosa's. Sadly Iv also discovered that you cannot tame these guys for a later run either. Which super sux. I knocked out a 140 mosa, tried to use exceptional kibble, noticed no taming bar, looked it up, and discovered I wasted 200 tranq arrows and the materials for a taming pen. x.x

So if those first couple caves are a bit of a learning curve, the last few caves are downright dreadful...Its in these caves where you start to ponder "alternatives" to the normal plow job. But if you do manage to just slowly work your way through them, and if your lucky enough to find a loot drop, the rewards are very beneficial. Iv found my mastercraft rex in one of those loot crates, and since its a blueprint, I was able to hook my entire army up with them.

Those are all very good points. If I get to the artifact room on the no-mount one, I guess I'll just have to spawn it with commands. For the easy water one, I could probably use a basilosaurus, since most of the cave isn't too deep, and they heal fast. For the other, I was thinking I could use it again, but you're right, I probably should just splurge and get a high-level mosa. Strong, I'm thinking an allo pack (with cryo assistance), but I'll have to keep them all out of the freezing water, which will be a pain. 

2 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

Those are all very good points. If I get to the artifact room on the no-mount one, I guess I'll just have to spawn it with commands. For the easy water one, I could probably use a basilosaurus, since most of the cave isn't too deep, and they heal fast. For the other, I was thinking I could use it again, but you're right, I probably should just splurge and get a high-level mosa. Strong, I'm thinking an allo pack (with cryo assistance), but I'll have to keep them all out of the freezing water, which will be a pain. 

On my run through on the strong cave, I used a yuty, but had to pause frequently and chow down on the meat we harvested to try and heal up. bears, wolves, and badgers was tough, but the yeti's.....dang they are hardcore. Didn't do too much damage cause I kept em knocked back, but the could take a hit or three. My best advice I got is to get the health of your allos over 10k first, then work on melee and the likes.

Archived