Giga Breeding

ArkLover7891

Should work. 

It's a 14 hour baby time on 2x and they eat quite a bit.

Use crumplecorn to help with food needed and in troughs (guessing you'll be using normal). 

I'd recommend a cryopod too so you can store it when offline. 

Edit: Even on 2x the egg timer is like 24 hours so be sure to have plenty of fuel in your torches. Angler gel burns very long but sparkpowder is pretty good too.

12 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Should work. 

It's a 14 hour baby time on 2x and they eat quite a bit.

Use crumplecorn to help with food needed and in troughs (guessing you'll be using normal). 

I'd recommend a cryopod too so you can store it when offline. 

Edit: Even on 2x the egg timer is like 24 hours so be sure to have plenty of fuel in your torches. Angler gel burns very long but sparkpowder is pretty good too.

So, torches would be fine? If so, then, how many would I need?

You better be careful though, giga eggs on official take 24hrs to incubate right now, normally 2 days.  During that time, the temperature where you are at can vary over the in game day.  Make sure to watch it carefully since you aren't investing in air conditioning.   The egg could be good at one time of day, but too hot or cold at other points as the temperature varies.  You will possibly have to turn on extra torches around evenings and turn off extra torches midday.

3 minutes ago, parazight said:

You're going to buy a giga egg and do it half-assed with torches and campfires?  Maybe you're not at that point in the progression yet. 

Exactly what should be said.  Giga raising is demanding, doing it w/out the necessary hardware just means you aren't ready.   The thought of farming the mats to make 25 air conditioners should be a, 'how can I do this in less than an hour' - Not, I can't do that.    That's where you should be when you start raising gigas.

You will literally be baby sitting an egg for 24 hrs to make sure it's still there come hatch time.  Otherwise, you are going to go to sleep at some point and wake up to find no egg.   In that 24hrs , you have the time needed to go out on an argent and farm all the necessary materials to make enough air conditioners to baby sit that egg for you.

11 minutes ago, ArkLover7891 said:

I just want to clarify to everyone, that it’s not that I can’t go and get the mats for some ac’s, it’s that if I don’t have to, I would of course prefer it. Since it seems as though having an air conditioner is the best option, how many would I need for a giga egg?

Depends on where your base is, I've managed with 9 or 10 so start from there and keep adding one if you don't have enough, also make sure you keep checking it throughout the first day in game as the temperature will vary and if it stays incubating then you should be OK to leave it out while logged off, it's always worth having 1 or 2 too many just to be on the safe side

It would depend on your location a little if you go for bare minimum.  8-10 should be good in most warmer environments, but if you are in a snow area you want more.  YOu can set down 8, then put egg down and see.  if it's not enough then there would be times during the day where they won't be working, so you add more until that stops happening.  You can periodically check and watch the egg stat bars to make sure only the timer one has been moving.  if the other slips you will see that and you add more a/c's.

Giga eggs don't require the most a/c units, rock drakes and wyverns require more.  25 is my minimum for smallish room to hatch anything.

You will need ample room to raise the giga, walks will become problematic in a small space.

On public servers, it's best to make your hatch room w/ a barrier all around it.  A room inside a room is needed to help thwart people who glitch into your base. You want all 6 sides w/ an air gap room of some measure so that if they get in, they don't get all the way to it.  Also keep eggs far from the walls so that they can't try and grab all next to the wall and get your egg w/ whatever they dropped right by it.

Seconding the AC advice.  Also, have fridges on hand already filled with meat and one dedicated to imprinting goods (a couple of each type of kibble, the various meats/jerkies, berries). 

Think of ACs as an investment.  My tribe has a 14ish AC setup we use the raptor out of, well before we raised our first giga.  These days, we never ride tamed dinos, only imprinted offspring.  The incubation and baby area is the most frequented section of our base.  We're always hanging out over there.

39 minutes ago, ArkLover7891 said:

How much meat should I be saving up for the giga egg?

A baby giga eats 4011 pieces of raw meat to get to juvi that’s eats so not including spoilage. How much you should save up is dependent on how quickly you can gather meat. Once it’s around 1% you should be able to leave it for a half hr to get meat or whatever takes around 420 meat to get to that point. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ArkLover7891 said:

If I didn’t check in on them for let’s say the full 20 hours and 35 minutes, and it wasn’t enough time, wouldn’t they starve to death?

Yep but you shouldn't leave any dino raising for more than 8 hours anyway, because of missing imprint. Cryo them up. 

I didn't use crumplecorn pre cryopods or tek troughs. Raised a few Giga's with normal troughs, raw meat, cooked meat, and jerky. Cryo's let you raise at your pace so utilize them. They are cheap and able to be made on any map in drops (Besides I think Gen. You may need a tek rep there.)

Edit: You can buy a cryopod on Gen just by saying hello twice to HLNA so readily available on every map.

Archived