Is the rest of the game as buggy as Valguero?

KateMonster

Is the rest of the game as buggy as Valguero?

So i got into Ark a month or two back, some buddies of mine had been playing and it just so happened that it was on sale so i picked it up. We made our own Valguero server just on a whim and started playing.And i gotta say, gorgeous game, the gameplay is great, the dinos are great, theres just so much here thats good. I was instantly hooked. But then the bugs happened. Ill sum up my experiences.

-first night i played, there was something happening where, if i equipped a stack of berries and held down the number key associated with them until they ran out, the game crashed. 3 crashes my first night of playing.

- Less than 10 hours of gameplay in. I had misplaced a pteradon near a mountain in a rather calm biome, so i went to look for it on foot. While running through the forest on top of the mountain suddenly i fell into this oddly shaped crevice. It wasnt deep enough to do fall damage, but somehow my character became completely trapped in place, stuck in the falling animation. It kept raining so i couldnt die of thirst. I couldnt use or consume any items because the game thought i was falling. I logged out and back in and found myself in the same spot. And none of my tribe mates could locate me because i was in this little pocket among trees. All in all i was trapped for a full hour before someone found me and finally killed me. Lost all my gear.

- got off my argentavis to collect resources and got attacked by dinos. Turned to whistle him to me. Rather than coming to me he flew to the ceiling of the map. Even flying up there with birds and calling him didnt help, he was completely stuck. It took jumping off another bird onto him to fix him.

- Flying into the wyvern trench one time the game crashed. Tried logging in repeatedly and was greeted with a crash every single time. Literally could not log in until a passing wyvern killed me. Then, after logging in, i immediately tried running and grabbing my stuff only to find that, when i got close, the same crash loop happens. Lost a bunch of nice gear and a really nice argent thanks to that.

-invisible wyverns... this one is both fascinating and infuriating. I built a wall of turrets at the base of the wyvern trench literally because i had no way of avoiding their ice breath because theyre entirely invisible. And from everything i can see, the turrets wont even fire at them. And theres no fix??? They still offer this map knowing theres an entire area thats 100% a broken death trap? It boggles the mind.

Based on the above, im always really hesitant to recommend this to people. Even when i do, i tell them to wait for a sale, because after all these bugs ive found i really would not be happy if i had paid full price for it.

Im getting off track though. My question to others with experience of Valguero and the rest of the game is, are the official maps any better? Does the rest of the game still suffer from the kind of game breaking bugs ive experienced?

Aside from getting stuck in the falling animation (happens a lot to me between dinos and walls, if I can whistle a tame over and mount it I will, otherwise walls get broke), I've never encountered any of these, and I primarily play on Val.  Oh, I see my share of bugs, and others do, too (the Manticore failing to land during the boss fight is a common problem on Val), and generally it's met by swearing and swearing and then moving on with life.

As far as inviso-wyverns go, I'd recommend a wild dino wipe to see if that solve the problem, maybe.  Don't know, but it's something concrete to try. 

But Ark is a big, complex game that does a lot of stuff and sometimes it just acts weird.  It'll be varying levels of annoying and frustrating and sometimes absolutely hilarious.  You just have to learn to roll with the punches if you can. 

I mean, im willing to laugh it off when its just something silly, like when i kill an ankylosaurus and sometimes its model starts freaking out and spinning and stretching and it goes flying across the map. Its when i lose progress that its no longer fun and games. I guess thats cool that you dont have any bugs. Do you play on official or unofficial servers?

I play unofficial.  Honestly, you might have luck with a different map, or you might not. 

And yeah, I've had my fair share of frustrating nonsense, mostly in the sense that the server likes to restart or go offline for a moment right when I need to imprint something that doesn't have a lot of wiggle room if you want to hit 100%.  It feels like getting punished by the game for something that's not your fault, and I get it.

Well the wyvern trench crash is back, or it never stopped, whatever. And i found out its not specific to using the walking path to enter the trench, even if you fly into the trench from the far edge closest to the fire dragons, boom, game crashes, you get kicked off your mount and die, and your stuff is now unreachable. If your character lives you cant log back into the game until you do die, youll crash after all the loading screens.

Sounds like what youre saying is that its likely ill have a similar experience on other maps. Half of my server quit anyway because of all the bugs, we tried a wyvern trench raid one night and those of us who didnt die to a crash died to invisible wyverns. I wont be spending another dime on this game. Glad i only spent 10 dollars on it...

Know what a few of us have been having a nightmare on official Val for months.. ready to quit after losing months off hard work to uncontrollable glitches, all degrees of lag, blue screen, losing connection, rubberbanding etc etc. Yes I also paid full price for game + dlc and extra for internet :( this servers near impossible to play also one of lowest ping available so no winning 

Hi There,

Was reading your post about bugs you been getting on Val

We are hosting private server with active admins and friendly players with popular maps on cluster

We offer safezones and open world pvp on Rag Val Gen Ab Ext and Full pvp Rag with offline protection (naked transfers only to stop abusing safe zones to hold all loot in case of raid)

Let me know if you are interested to join us with your friends and i'll gladly help you guys with startup

• 1 month later...

I've played ark for two years now. 3k hours across all maps. Even The Center.

You have had more bad experiences since you started than I've had in those 3k hours. Most of them are on the same order of magnitude as you falling into the crevice. Some times the game weirds out, but all that stuff like the bird flying to the ceiling, invisible wyverns or the game crashing when you use items, those sound really weird. I've never experienced anything like it.

The game crashing when you come into the wyvern trench sounds more HW related. That doesn't necessarily mean that the specifications of your system aren't up to snuff, but I had the problem of crashing in the ocean biome on Genesis on an especially warm night when I had my computer in an especially poorly ventilated room. When I got it back home, the crashes stopped occuring later that same day. It was either the temperature affecting the computer, or the connection in the other place I was at. At home I have a top rated gaming router, this place had a public wifi. So without saying that's the case for everybody, if the game crashes when you enter an area, that sounds like some kind of driver/HW or connection problem. What happens when you enter areas? Lots of things load in. Wyvern trench has lava flowing, and lavafalls, and all kinds of moving things that tax your system more than static textures.

It's buggier than most AAA games. It doesn't have the "Blizzard" polish. But there's no other game like it. I've learned to have precautionary systems like never transferring With a bunch of cryopods in my Inventory but instead uploading them, etc., stuff like that. Never think of my gear as "my gear", but rather, as a dismissable set of temporary items. It sucks to lose stuff, so I never tame a dino and use it for example. I combine it with an opposite gender to get two equal statted parents, and only use offspring I raise. Effectively, when a new map is released with a new dino, once I tame my first one, I don't consider myself to actually have that dino until I've also tamed another one and made an offspring, if that makes sense. Whenever I take a rifle or shotgun With me on an adventure, I only bring it if I know i have 3-4 more in backup if I should lose it. If i only have one of something, it sits in a vault until I know losing it won't raptor me over. That means I spend more time building up before doing, well, anything , really.  I could go on  about precations I take, these were just some examples. You could argue you shouldn't have to do that, but most longtime Ark players do, so I guess that kinda answers your question. To me, there is no game like this so it's a bitter trade-off but ultimately worth it for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I've played 5k hours. Stuff like falling in trenches and getting stuck were common in the first year I played, but haven't had that happen in a few years. I've played a bit on Valguero, but not much. Maybe 100 hours.

I almost always play with the Awesome Teleporters mod and try and ensure I have a tracker on my bird. That helps a lot if they game does something odd.

You don't say, but I assume PC. Some platforms like Xbox might have a harder time with a map that had been a mod previously. They can be not as well optimized.

I've lately been playing on Crystal Isles, which was very buggy when it was first released as an official map. They have already fixed a lot of the problems. Some still exist and are in my opinion pretty minor. Like the giant squid spawning in shallow water and being stuck there. I would think Valguero would have all the major bugs worked out, but maybe not.

Archived