New to Official need tips

Joshypooh12345

I assume you are referring to the island map? 

To start out, id like to refer you to the wiki. It's an invaluable survival tool that contains information on anything you may have questions about. (But still feel free to ask your questions here).

As for general tips:

Thatch is really only good to protect you from the cold, upgrade to at least wood as soon as you can, to get some proper protection.

Don't procrastinate taming. Start with a parasaur then keep taming harder and harder dinos. Almost all of them have hidden traits that will help you grow. 

The further you move inland the greater the threats you will find. Start out on the beaches, but don't stay there too long, especially if you are on a pvp server.

Speaking of servers, make sure to remember the one you play on. I often see new players who are really friendly disappear from the server the moment they log off and I think it's because they forgot which server they chose to play on. 

Resources:

For resources at the beginning you will need a lot of stone and wood. Metal is on top of mountains, but not all of them. Same with crystal. Oil can be found in the ocean.  Those are the main resources, but literally everything you come across in the game is useful so save it all...even poop. Also If it seems like there should be a better way to gather something, there probably is, so don't waste too much time trying to gather everything by hand. The wiki is a great tool for figuring out good ways to gather resources. 

Last but not least:

This game builds upon itself like stepping stones, so the early game may come across as shallow, but keep building , crafting and taming, new goals will present themselves as you progress.

I followed this post so if you have other questions feel free to ask. Welcome to the Ark!

Depends on the server that you play on.  

Clusters can only transfer to a server of that cluster. So for example cluster 5 has a server for each map and I can freely hop between them, but I cannot transfer to a cluster 6 server. Not all servers have a cluster attatched to them, take for instance Official Server 367. This server may transfer to literally hundreds of different servers because it is not limited to a cluster.

PvP may only transfer to PvP

PvE may only travel to PvE

Example: PvP Official Server 367 may transfer to PvP Official Server 368, but not PvE Official Server 369

The nice thing is that you can still play separate maps, so a PvP island map may transfer to a PvP scorched map. Also you are allowed to have a base built on multiple servers and you can even bring dinos and gear from one server to the other, so if you like dragons but hate the desert you can go and tame dragons then bring them to the island with you.

When choosing a server to play on its important to remember these things and find one based on your goals. If you choose PvP you will forever have to play on PvP with that character and vice versa. If you want a smaller community that you can get to know then you can choose to play on a cluster, but you will never be able to transfer out of that cluster. Think about your goals in the game from a long term perspective and try your best to choose appropriately. 

Lastly each server has a few other things that you should consider before playing on it. You should try to find one that has a low ping and is also your region, Such as a NA, EU server etc...You can still transfer to different regional servers if they are not part of a cluster, but anytime you do so your connection will likely be unstable. That doesn't stop players from doing it though and you will often see entire servers transferring from one server to the next as a means of waging war on each other.   

Archived