Remove or Increase Tether on PS4/PS5

TrainableOlive8

Suggestion

40 replies to this server topic

We are now in 2022 and soon 2023 and the distance limit between the host and players is still here , I know that getting rid of it makes the game run slower and lagging but I think it's more of our problem(the players) and that it's something that we must sacrifice so we can play together wherever we want .

Maybe at least make the distance limit bigger like 500m or even 1000m , because even if we stay together 250m is to much less.

I noticed How When I was Playing coop mode [Offline] on The New Xbox Series X that your Ark character Doesnt tether Back You bith are able to wander FRee ,,,But On Ps5 Your character Tethers back to eachother  Please Fix this issue😁 On Ps5 So Its the Same As The New Xbox

Edited by ZSTEELFILMZ
Typo

Ark ps4 the host barrier is honestly annoying when I play with my brother he has to walk me to the water and we can't build things without being next to each other and I have a feeling that almost everyone who plays ark hates the host barrier and my brother likes building but I like taming but we can't do that because we have to be right next to each other

Tethering distance i get that it will show performance issues but my friend and i are very different from eachother she would rather be building and i hunt and gather and we cannot do that because the distance is too small can we at the very least get to chose at our own risk the distance?

Thank you for reading survivors!

I play with a group of 4 mix of PS4/PS5 players on a non dedicated save.  We all got the game on sale for dirt cheap and would love to play all of the maps, but absolutely refuse to buy any dlc with the tether as it is.  Obviously if the last gen Xbox can handle running without a tether, we should at least be able to try our luck on the PlayStation, especially if a PS5 is hosting.  

And no.  We don't want a dedicated server.  We are a casual group that sometimes goes months without playing and can't justify paying rental fees.  Not to mention we have jobs and families and don't want to worry about starving tames or wandering gigas when we log off.

I'm not a game developer, but adding a slider or checkbox with a warning about decreased performance seems much easier than the UE5 remaster that I've been hearing about.  I'm sure the instant revenue from people like me and my friends buying dlc's would make it worth asking the intern to knock that out before going home on Friday.

Wildcard, can you please add the slider I have seen in videos online that allows other platforms to extend the range of the tether on non-dedicated servers?

If my OG 500gb PS4 can run the game with minimal problems as is, I'm sure my new PS5 can run just fine with at least 4 or 5 times the range on the tether, especially if I don't run all of the graphics settings at max.

I understand that there is the potential for performance issues, but let me do some of my own trial and error to see what works.

The absurdly sort tether range is the only thing keeping my group of friends from paying for any dlc.  We are currently in the early stages of establishing a base on Fjordur and are frustrated because we can't even move around one of the small islands off the SE coast of the largest land mass without the host dragging everyone around.

It's already a feature on other platforms.  What gives?

Edited by RADAR4077

Making the tether distance further - I play single player (preferably) and sometimes my sister also joins me on split screen (ps4) the only problem is when we play, the tether distance doesn’t allow us to stray far away from each other and can make playing the game very difficult, so my suggestion is to either completely remove the tether distance or make a slider option to the settings to change the tether distance.

thanks. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, MobileNPC said:

Does that cost money? Can this PC dedicated server host a PS4 game?

I believe only licensed hosts can provide PS4 dedicated servers so I don't think you can host it yourself. However, there are plenty of great communities out there you could join.

1 hour ago, MobileNPC said:

I'm not looking to waste money just to play a local split screen game. I'm looking for them to improve the game. Expensive work arounds are not going to cut it. Even an extra $1 a month is too much for something they can obviously and VERY easily fix.

I may have got the tether distance number wrong in my original post. Regardless; what it is currently is still very small. 

It may sounds an easy fix, but it really isn't. The tether is there for a reason and that reason is that your console couldn't handle it. The difference between a dedicated server and a non-dedicated session is that like their name suggest; one is dedicated solely to run the server-side logic of the game while the other has to run both; server and client. If there was no tether and players could go separate way, the server-side would have to do more works as there would be more actors rendered that would have to think each frame, etc. So yeah, removing the tether would result into performance issues more than anything else.

4 minutes ago, MobileNPC said:

I'm not suggesting the removal of the tether. I'm just saying to increase it, perhaps to double or so of what it is now. It is easy because they already did it on accident then removed it. From what I've read so far not a single problem was reported from basically a no tether gameplay. (In single player, couch co-op, not more than two people) The ps4 system can handle it. That's not a good enough excuse.

Increasing the tether dosen't matter on most maps. Any area that's a different zone will trigger the tether. Caves, some oceans area, etc.

Also, consoles games and updates much go through a certification process. Adding a tether slider might not be allowed by the console manufacturer, due to the performance.

Just now, MobileNPC said:

The current tether doesn't even cover a single zone so yes it does matter. Why not then just do a "zone tether" and enable free wandering through each zone? 

The single player mode and non-dedicated don't work the same way as a server does. They don't have replication like a server. Only the area and calculations near the Host player are working.

It's interesting that we're talking about updating this to make the game better with no/farther tether. This is how the game was and they changed it for the worse on purpose. The people who say it's to protect your console are simply lying. It's just not true. The people trying to explain that its your fault for not spending more money to get a dedicated server are exactly the problem. They changed the game everyone loved in a way to force people to pay for more servers and accounts and everything. Your family fun time at home means nothing to them. It is a cash grab. They KNOW the game was better as it was, but they don't care and they want your money. It's just business. Can't blame them, blame the idiots that are all to happy to tell you to spend more money.