Remove or Increase Tether on PS4/PS5

TrainableOlive8

Suggestion

40 replies to this server topic

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Tayce said:

PlayStation 5 currently has no option to increase the maximum 300m tether distance. This is unacceptable considering the new Xbox has a tether distance of 1700m. 

Please update this WildCard.

The XSX doesn't have a tether at all.

6 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

I believe only licensed hosts can provide PS4 dedicated servers so I don't think you can host it yourself. However, there are plenty of great communities out there you could join.

It may sounds an easy fix, but it really isn't. The tether is there for a reason and that reason is that your console couldn't handle it. The difference between a dedicated server and a non-dedicated session is that like their name suggest; one is dedicated solely to run the server-side logic of the game while the other has to run both; server and client. If there was no tether and players could go separate way, the server-side would have to do more works as there would be more actors rendered that would have to think each frame, etc. So yeah, removing the tether would result into performance issues more than anything else.

I'm not suggesting the removal of the tether. I'm just saying to increase it, perhaps to double or so of what it is now. It is easy because they already did it on accident then removed it. From what I've read so far not a single problem was reported from basically a no tether gameplay. (In single player, couch co-op, not more than two people) The ps4 system can handle it. That's not a good enough excuse.

58 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Increasing the tether dosen't matter on most maps. Any area that's a different zone will trigger the tether. Caves, some oceans area, etc.

The current tether doesn't even cover a single zone so yes it does matter. Why not then just do a "zone tether" and enable free wandering through each zone? 

Apparently this garbage forum only lets me post 4 times. 

My point is that they can change it and they're not. They have absolutely NO valid reason for this low tether distance. I know what the PS4 is capable of. Seems like they do not.

Edited by MobileNPC
Crappy post limit junk.

Tether distances.

Ive heard the whole spiel about the lag, but ya know what I think it should be up to the player. We wanna risk a slower, more leggy, possibly crashing game for a better distance we should ve allowed to make that choice. 

Husband and I played together in split screen and me being popped all around cause I got too far behind was frusterating as all else, being dragged into the water to be devoured caused more than one heated argument. We bought a second ps4 thinking we could play better that way not knowing the idiotic tether is still there ? really its unplayable unless you and your friends have an iron will against the immenant frustration that comes with trying to actually play.

Please update the Tether Distance for console non-dedicated servers!

I know this has been requested a million times by now and i know most of us are aware it's because of issues of the consoles not being able to handle it; but please just increase the tether distance a bit more, or at least add a slider that can be adjusted to go up to a maximum of double or even triple what it is currently. This is a highly requested feature that would bring in more dedicated ark players in the long run.

PS4 Non-Dedicated Server Tether

Hi everyone,

Not sure if i'm doing this right as this is the first post i've done. I've always been hosting and playing on non-dedicated servers with my friends on ps4. The most annoying part is the tether, it always limits what we can do in the game, we really don't want to go on a server as we just want to play by ourselves and on our own multipliers, i was just wondering if there's anything we can do about the tether or if wildcard have any plans to change it. Thanks.

Console Tether

I know it has been suggested many time before and it may seem repetitive and annoying but this whole tether thing for non-d servers is getting kind of frustrating. My friend's and I love playing ARK together all the time but when we can't get anything done because the host is dragging us all around it makes the game a whole lot less fun. If we could really really get more attention on bringing back the slider for being able to expand the distance or giving the option to shut it off completely I believe the entire console community would appreciate it a lot more

THIS ISN'T ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN DO ON PC. STOP WASTING COMMENTS ABOUT THAT.

Single player tether increase on Console.

The console tether distance is terrible. It is not far enough.

Change it please. Even just double of what it is now would be some what manageable. This single "feature" has ruined the entire game for myself and my wife. This and the shadow glitch that you guys are also ignoring.

Fix your stuff guys. This has been a complaint for SEVERAL years now.

Edited by MobileNPC

10 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Run a dedicated server on a PC and you won't have that restriction.

Does that cost money? Can this PC dedicated server host a PS4 game?

I'm not looking to waste money just to play a local split screen game. I'm looking for them to improve the game. Expensive work arounds are not going to cut it. Even an extra $1 a month is too much for something they can obviously and VERY easily fix.

I may have got the tether distance number wrong in my original post. Regardless; what it is currently is still very small. 

Edited by MobileNPC
Spelling errors

The tether protects your gaming system. Since it's console it would have issues that could affect the hardware if the tether was increased due to how much would be rendered in at once. Console just isn't powerful enough to handle it.

Nitrado rents private servers for as low as $13 a month for 10 player slots. Could split that cost between friends, no tether, and way more customizable than a non-dedi session.

Probably your best option to get rid of tether but not have to deal with randoms.

48 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

The tether protects your gaming system. Since it's console it would have issues that could affect the hardware if the tether was increased due to how much would be rendered in at once. Console just isn't powerful enough to handle it.

Nitrado rents private servers for as low as $13 a month for 10 player slots. Could split that cost between friends, no tether, and way more customizable than a non-dedi session.

Probably your best option to get rid of tether but not have to deal with randoms.

Alright thank you for the information, would they possibly change it when the ps5 comes out? I'm debating now to just switch to PC.

19 hours ago, Kirks said:

Alright thank you for the information, would they possibly change it when the ps5 comes out? I'm debating now to just switch to PC.

I think it is more PS decision rather than WC's so depends how good PS thinks it is but probably no change for this Ark. I doubt they can isolate between a PS5 and PS4 version.

so me and my brother just started playing together and stayed right next to each other so we could help each other because my brother is new and when he got used to the game play we went our separate ways and after a minute or so he suddenly appeared right next to me and he kept trying to go away but couldn't so please fix this or just think about it my brother no longer likes playing cause he always has to follow me

thank you 

A lot of the ark community including I would love to have the tether removed or made removeable on all consoles please and thank you I have a PS4 and it’s not as enjoyable with friends when we can’t fully experience the ark survival offline because we are all close together makes it hard to actually play offline and grind with friends in private servers. This would be a really good update I hope y’all think it’s good too.