Hello everyone / Surviving on official

noobstill

Hello everyone! I've played Ark for 2-3 years I think yet I'm still quite a noob. There is so much to learn and do in this game that I can't even feel embarassed despite all the bob barking on official.

I've never really liked tek... many times I've got to the point in the game where I know it's time to start getting that stuff in order to move forward. I joined unofficial servers to get my hands on tek easily, so I could learn how it all works, but I always end up realizing that it's not about it being difficult. It's just that I don't care for it. Never been one for scifi in general so maybe it's just that unappealing even in Ark.

However others don't seem to have such problems... leaving me in quite a disadvantage.

I've found some very nice servers on unofficial with nice people. Too nice even. Sorry if this sounds ungrateful, but often it seems to get so friendly that there is no more PvP or desire to attack anyone... cause we're just that happy and comfy. Which is awesome in a way but also takes away what is for me half of the point.

I decided to jump back to official to get back the thrill of surviving. Now this once again seems like the other extreme... it's almost too aggressive. That can be hilarious for a while, but very quickly starts to seem pointless in another way: you just can't get anywhere, there is no future other than endlessly spawning after dying again and again, never really accomplishing anything or even if you do it's all gone in a flash.

I switched my strategy of hiding in plain sight (which worked pretty well though), to actually trying to hide. No point going into place everybody knows like a cave... I chose a relatively random spot in the thick brush and spent hours and hours of repetively dying and spawning, stubbornly pushing to build a small 2x3 starter stone base. Well, the foundations at least. It was hidden well in my opinion. Ridiculously many times couldn't even find it myself.

Maybe this is common I don't know, but this has never happened to me in such extent. The very next morning I expected to find my character dead and my stuff gone of course. What I didn't expect... not only my tiny pathetic build was completely gone, but the area was cleared of trees and bushes and there were tek foundations, tek gateframes, tek turrets and some other tek stuff I'm not familiar with. What the...

Once again I find myself asking: what on earth is the point. Yet if this game has teached me anything, it is to be incredibly stubborn. Through the years I've played, I've always played alone, like I don't really know the actual multiplayer functions that well or really much about being in a tribe. How to even make friends? I have no clue.

Now... I think it's time to begin yet another learning curve. How to get buddies. I don't necessarily want to force anyone into a tribe. I find it impossible to trust people myself. Maybe someone would still appreciate working together, with no strings attached?

Is this a completely stupid idea? I mean do people even want to join such a loosely unified pack of bobs and are they just going to backstab me by default?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the huge vomit of a writing, I just had coffee. This tends to happen.

@noobstill good read! I'm pretty sure that most people on official PVP use edited files to blend out nearly every texture like bushes, stones and everything that is possible. Cheating and abusing everything that is possible is sadly a big part of ARK PVP. Also IRL money trading to get ahead of others or to make money...

You could try some discords to get into a tribe or simply server hop and ask the megas/alphas on the server if they would allow you to build on their server and over time get closer to them. Maybe join their discord at some point and so on,.

There are also official ORP PVP servers that have the 15 minute timer and offline protection which can help you a lot as a solo player.

45 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

@noobstill good read! I'm pretty sure that most people on official PVP use edited files to blend out nearly every texture like bushes, stones and everything that is possible. Cheating and abusing everything that is possible is sadly a big part of ARK PVP. Also IRL money trading to get ahead of others or to make money...

You could try some discords to get into a tribe or simply server hop and ask the megas/alphas on the server if they would allow you to build on their server and over time get closer to them. Maybe join their discord at some point and so on,.

There are also official ORP PVP servers that have the 15 minute timer and offline protection which can help you a lot as a solo player.

Thanks!

Oh wow nearly everything you just said I didn't know. They can do that...? Oh man. How do they even enjoy the game anymore...?

Neither did I know there's officials with ORP. That would help... a lot.

I shall try to find people through Discord. Like I said I suffer from terrible trust issues, but something tells me I'm missing a part of all this without shared experiences. Also of course there's strength in numbers.

I swear if I ever get that far, I'll start air dropping antidotes for example. That's a silly long term goal of mine. Not sure what to do about the other stuff... just so cancerous. Yet life always finds a way, heh.

@noobstillit's not about enjoying the game anymore. Like in other competitive areas games or IRL it's all about winning, that's why athletes dope. Look at the olympics, there is probably not a single person that doesn't cheat in the top ranks ^^ 

Just try server hopping and asking the alphas/megas if they would allow you to build on their islands. Some of them will probably still attack you even if they allowed it...

PVP official is pure cancer and there is no cure for it but you can struggle with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 11:44 PM, Fukushu said:

@noobstillit's not about enjoying the game anymore. Like in other competitive areas games or IRL it's all about winning, that's why athletes dope. Look at the olympics, there is probably not a single person that doesn't cheat in the top ranks ^^ 

Just try server hopping and asking the alphas/megas if they would allow you to build on their islands. Some of them will probably still attack you even if they allowed it...

PVP official is pure cancer and there is no cure for it but you can struggle with it. 

Went to an ORP server, that really makes a lot more sense already.

I guess you're right - yet of course with doping and cheating... one doesn't actually win anything. But yeah, I duppose just "winning" is enough for some.

I feel a little disgusted about interacting with any alpha as they'll probably just wait to raid  me later  to get more out of it and I would probably love to watch them fall so uh... not a very good ground to start the conversation hahaha. But yes I understand your point.

Archived