Giga taming

AirplaneSlider

Do you have a quetzal? One option is to shoot it from above, just be wary of your surroundings so the giga cant escape and run into deep water. Oh and make sure you keep an eye on your stamina and have some backup longnecks.

Another option is to lure the giga into a canyon or tundra with large cliffs. You would still need to block the exits but it wouldn't be as expensive as a full trap. 

You can also pull off stone traps but you need multiple layers to fall back to as the giga breaks through them.

Lastly id ultimately suggest just using biting the bullet and making the metal trap. it only takes 4 metal gates and a large bear trap in the middle to fully trap the giga and you can get half of that material back once its down. Id suggest bringing an extra dino gate just in case you mess up the last one. Just leave two dino gates side by side with one in front and a large trap in the middle. Run through it with the giga behind you, then once it gets stuck circle around and place the fifth one. Don't make it too skinny or the giga wont fit, but definitely don't make it too wide!!!!

All methods will take some preparation and be dangerous so just go for the one that is easiest and most practical for you. Good Luck!

17 minutes ago, Logan96 said:

Do you have a quetzal? One option is to shoot it from above, just be wary of your surroundings so the giga cant escape and run into deep water. Oh and make sure you keep an eye on your stamina and have some backup longnecks.

Another option is to lure the giga into a canyon or tundra with large cliffs. You would still need to block the exits but it wouldn't be as expensive as a full trap. 

You can also pull off stone traps but you need multiple layers to fall back to as the giga breaks through them.

Lastly id ultimately suggest just using biting the bullet and making the metal trap. it only takes 4 metal gates and a large bear trap in the middle to fully trap the giga and you can get half of that material back once its down. Id suggest bringing an extra dino gate just in case you mess up the last one. Just leave two dino gates side by side with one in front and a large trap in the middle. Run through it with the giga behind you, then once it gets stuck circle around and place the fifth one. Don't make it too skinny or the giga wont fit, but definitely don't make it too wide!!!!

All methods will take some preparation and be dangerous so just go for the one that is easiest and most practical for you. Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking using the quetzal method, but that would be hard when the giga starts to run. I might try to trap it using the 4 gates and then stand on the quetzal and shoot.

15 minutes ago, AirplaneSlider said:

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking using the quetzal method, but that would be hard when the giga starts to run. I might try to trap it using the 4 gates and then stand on the quetzal and shoot.

You don't even need actual gates, just the gateways (170 metal each) but make sure it's flat ground because they can almost run out of them and a hill will enable that.  Also bring EVERYTHING you need with you, they wake up super fast. I once spent like 45 mins KOing one (on the loose, I missed a lot of shots) and he woke up in less than a minute, he was low level.

1 minute ago, Cowgirl said:

You don't even need actual gates, just the gateways (170 metal each) but make sure it's flat ground because they can almost run out of them and a hill will enable that.  Also bring EVERYTHING you need with you, they wake up super fast. I once spent like 45 mins KOing one (on the loose, I missed a lot of shots) and he woke up in less than a minute, he was low level.

So I found him on giga mountain the island (very right mountain). Should I try and bring him to the bottom of the mountain in the trap, or can I make it on the mountain?

11 minutes ago, AirplaneSlider said:

So I found him on giga mountain the island (very right mountain). Should I try and bring him to the bottom of the mountain in the trap, or can I make it on the mountain?

I wouldnt make it on the mountain because they can use the height to get out. Even a small rock can give them enough height to get over the gateways. 

4 hours ago, AirplaneSlider said:

Kite it down to somewhere flat, they have the attention span of a 2 year old so can be frustrating at times, griffin works best as you can shoot from it but if you don't have one then I'd use a high stam ptera  and barrel roll the base of it's tail to get attention, you'll be fast enough to get away from it then just keep landing safely in front of it then take off to keep aggro, tapejara also works well, argent & quetz are too slow and if you stay high out of it's bite range it'll lose aggro quickly and chase after something else plus you will only have a few seconds to place the last gateway and lock it in so you need something fast and manoeuvrable, make sure you leave a decent gap between the gateways and don't snap them together at right angles as it'll be too narrow for it to fit in, place a couple of large bear traps as well as it'll buy you a few seconds to get round and place the last gateway

Use dododex to work out how many tranq darts/arrows and narcotics you'll need and take extra, I'm paranoid so always add about 50% plus have plenty of spare weapons depending on durability, once it's trapped clear the area of any bad stuff so you don't get interrupted when you start tranqing it or go to put the narcotics/food in, also have your spare weapons equipped on your hotbar and the right ammo loaded so you're not messing around if one breaks, once it's down you've got 2-3 mins or so depending on level to give it narcotics, I always give it more than dododex says just to be safe and once you've given it narcs and put the food in try and get away from it just in case anything attacks you and hits it, they have that much torpor you don't have to worry about them waking up once you've fed it narcotics/berries, pretty easy tame once you get them on flattish ground as long as you're prepared and have all the stuff you need 

I strongly advise using the shock darts if you have them.  My brother and I have taken two high-levels down.  One we attempted to trap in a 2x4 dino gate pen.  The pen didn't work, but it did munch on it long enough for us to shoot it enough to get it to run, and after that we chased it down with griffins.

For the second, I found a canyon nearby (the glacial area in Val) and we lured it inside and got stuck on terrain, although I did have dino gates down to block both sides of the canyon so it wasn't going to get out anyway. 

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Foxeh said:

I strongly advise using the shock darts if you have them.  My brother and I have taken two high-levels down.  One we attempted to trap in a 2x4 dino gate pen.  The pen didn't work, but it did munch on it long enough for us to shoot it enough to get it to run, and after that we chased it down with griffins.

For the second, I found a canyon nearby (the glacial area in Val) and we lured it inside and got stuck on terrain, although I did have dino gates down to block both sides of the canyon so it wasn't going to get out anyway. 

Good luck!

I did attempt to trap it today. Lemme just say the giga is a complete troll. It literally knows your trapping it and goes away. I ended up rage quitting lol

Archived