Server Cluster not working on LAN but is fine on WAN

Server Cluster not working on LAN but is fine on WAN

Hello, 

I am struggling with my server setup. I have two servers which I have in a cluster. This works nicely from outside my LAN. Everything is working as intended from the outside. 

However, apparently my router does not support NAT Loopback, so I am unable to jump servers when I am on the LAN. 

So, any ideas on how to fix this? 

Is it even fixable, or is it just the way, the game works? Which is a bit dumb, I might add ?

On 5/23/2020 at 10:49 PM, SylenThunder said:

I have the same issue. Modem used to support NAT Loopback, but an update disabled the feature. The only workaround is to use a VPN  that blocks local network traffic.

Alternatively, you could use different network hardware that has loopback support.

What kind of VPN are we talking about? 

Regarding the different hardware, I am assuming you mean an extra router and setting up the modem to run in bridge mode?

I would very much prefer not having to do this, as a good quality router is fairly expensive. 

2 hours ago, FlameBlade said:

What kind of VPN are we talking about? 

Regarding the different hardware, I am assuming you mean an extra router and setting up the modem to run in bridge mode?

I would very much prefer not having to do this, as a good quality router is fairly expensive. 

I use PIA for VPN service. They are one of the best out there, and the software allows custom tunneling so I can allow some apps to see my local LAN and block others. Price isn't bad, and it's got a load of features most others don't. (plus no data records if you're into more nefarious activities.)

Long-term though hardware is cheaper. I was referencing replacing the modem/router with one that supports loopback, but you could run a bridge too.

In my case, the hardware itself supports it, and I only lost the feature because of changes the ISP has been making to the configuration.  I have a ticket open to have this feature re-enabled, because by changing my device I will lose some key functions with the ISP's service for the advanced firewall.

Archived