ddoss Server Ddoss

Server Ddoss

Ever since we counter a raid from WW we’ve been ddossed everyday for hours. I’ve tried reaching out to wildcard on several occasions but they keep saying there’s nothing they can do. What kinda bs game is this where hackers can overrule the devs. I’ve lost plenty of tames on official thanks to the 255 moving my tames around and not allowing me to move them out of the way of danger or still take damage after leaving the area. I doubt they’ll refund me my tames or even that they’ll actually do something to protect their own servers.

This is just one of several hundred reasons to NOT play on official servers. You will see this with every multiplayer game of this nature. It's been a golden rule for like 20 years now.

It's not up to WildCard to prevent DDoS attacks, it's up to the ISP of the Hosting company.

No they aren't going to refund you anything. Almost no game manufacturer would do this. Especially one that has thousands of their own servers.

DDOS attacks can't be stopped. People think "blocking" the traffic will prevent it but how will that stop it if the traffic still has to reach the device that blocks it? Blocking traffic doesn't stop the user from sending it. There's only so much bandwidth these devices can handle and only so much bandwidth to go around (even for an ISP).

DDOS attacks are generated sometimes by millions of devices on IP's similar to ours that are dynamic (they change periodically). Generally speaking these attacks are generated by "zombies" or infected computers/devices. The users normally don't even know they are infected since the "master" can tell them to only send like 2 kbps to a target. This might not seem like a lot but times that by a million or so devices sending the same data and it becomes overwhelming quickly (2 gbps for this example) .

DDOS could be mitigated a bit by preventing traffic from different countries from hitting the server (target) directly but this would have to be implemented by an ISP at one of the main hubs for each country to be effective. That and they would have to be 100% sure it's an attack and not to block legitimate traffic. However this wouldn't prevent DDOS launched from behind that IPS (Intrusion Prevention System).

Now is it possible to DDOS a player in ARK specifically rather than the server as a whole? It's very possible as my wife was DDOS'ed a few times by a specific tribe. Did my IPS detect and "block" the DDOS? Sure, but it still killed her connection on that computer for a few seconds. However I'm not sure how they were able to DDOS her specifically yet, like if it was through ark itself or from discord. They would have needed to figure out where to send the traffic.

Anyways enough of me rambling. That's my 2 cents. :D

Few questions:

- How do you know it's a DDOS?

- What have you troubleshot so far?

I can help with deterring it if you have the stomach for iptables and a bit of network command line utilities.  Or at least steer you in the right direction.

It's very possible you are misconstruing a DDOS with WildCards' average server performance.  I could run an instance on a potato more stable than what they have.

Archived