Official server WIPED w/o notice?!?

rhymingreason

Official server Ragnarok 41 is usually down... srsly, it has a 90-day uptime of 49%, it's literally off most of the time.

It's currently been down for 27hrs straight, which isn't unusual... except that this time, the Battlemetrics status has changed from "offline" to "dead".

Without any notice (and without any backup download in almost a year), this is worrying. 

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, rhymingreason said:

Official server Ragnarok 41 is usually down... srsly, it has a 90-day uptime of 49%, it's literally off most of the time.

It's currently been down for 27hrs straight, which isn't unusual... except that this time, the Battlemetrics status has changed from "offline" to "dead".

Without any notice (and without any backup download in almost a year), this is worrying. 

BattleMetrics is a third-party website. A third-party website that query and track the public information of the servers listed by steam. They mark servers as dead when they were unable to query information for a while. Them marking an IP as dead is not an indication that server was wiped. While it can be a useful tool, the data they provides can and is often inaccurate. Server outages should be reported there: http://ark.gg/outage

I appreciate the reply.

Server outage reports are largely redundant; I'd need to submit 8-15 per day for each daily outage that lasts over 30mins. In late January, the server went down for over 7 days - if an outage report takes over a week to be looked at, then it's pretty useless.

The official server has now been down over 31hrs, and it isn't just a 3rd party site telling me that - I personally haven't been able to see the server for 31hrs.

Glad that it isn't legit considered "dead", but still, it'd be nice if it could come back online sometime this week.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:19 AM, shadowkyuubi said:

NA-PVP-Official-Ragnarok-SmallTribes41

is this the one u mean @rhymingreason

No, it's official LEGACY-The-Asia-PVE-Ragnarok41

Still down, over 3 days now.

If it stays off for 8 days - again - then it's as good as a wipe, with everyone's dinos and many structures auto-decaying. It's a popular server too; during the Easter event it was often at 70/70 capacity.

The server has been so unstable in general - 90-day uptime of 59% - that I'd honestly just take a server backup and play with my toys in single player, but there hasn't been a "periodic" backup made for a year either.

Definitely should be, but unfortunately not.

Our babies always starve during outages, our regular dinos can starve during particularly long ones! 

After January's week-long outage, most of the bases on the server had auto-decayed once it finally came back online. I was begging for a rollback because our world was devastated, but nope.

(btw, server still offline, 80hrs now... and I can promise you the world isn't paused)

Following this thread because I need an answer too. I am a legacy server playing in TheIsland-493 and have recently heard about Ragnarok41 not being online for 4 days now.

Rumour has it that Ragnarok41 is wiped so everyone in other Legacy servers are paranoid thinking that Legacy servers are being wiped 1 by 1 so they are going to move to an official server asap.

I have a question myself. Will Legacy servers be wiped? If yes, how often? Thanks

Legacy Servers will always eventually be wiped, at least that's what has always happened in the past.  Unfortunately there is no support for these servers as WC kind of see them obsolete.  They could be wiping without notification because then can and will want to re-purpose those servers for the next map that comes out.  I can only assume they will be going to be re-purposed for Crystal Isles map.

49 minutes ago, reddotjellytot said:

Legacy Servers will always eventually be wiped, at least that's what has always happened in the past.  Unfortunately there is no support for these servers as WC kind of see them obsolete.  They could be wiping without notification because then can and will want to re-purpose those servers for the next map that comes out.  I can only assume they will be going to be re-purposed for Crystal Isles map.

Agreed here. As someone who recently moved from legacy to official, it definitely hurts leaving years of work behind, but doing so recently was my choice that I have control over, while waiting for legacy to be shut down will hurt a lot more for people that decide to go down with the ship. In the 4 months since moving to official, I basically have everything I had on legacy and more, so for me the move was worth it. Are the rumors that Legacy is done by this summer true? I wouldn't discount the rumors.

1 minute ago, Zahlea said:

I've never heard of a Legacy server being taken down without them posting here on the forums about it in advance and they do it in batches. While Legacy servers are always threatened by closure, without notice you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Even if they did warn you, what could u do about it apart from move to another legacy server that's still open. Moving to official before they become legacy would have been a much less painful, but I guess people like to hang on as long as possible, inevitably they will close them down. However I do agree they do normally give a warning but I dont think they have to.

Ragnarok41 still down, 4 days and counting.

We didn't notice when the server became Legacy; it was so popular that we just assumed it wouldn't be on the list. Unfortunately ALL official Asia PVE servers became Legacy despite popularity. I understand re-purposing dead servers, but these servers are often WAY more active than surviving official ones.

Again, I'd take a server backup download so I don't lose my 3000hrs and go single player but there's no backup since July 2019. We all know that it's tough sledding to lose a few hours of gameplay and have to retread the same progress; a YEAR of progress is insurmountable.

The reason I play in Legacy server because they are the only server with >50 ping for me. There are 3 Legacy servers (TheIsland) which are hosted in Singapore.

I get around 100+ ping if I play in official server.. I live in Malaysia and would like some recommendation for official servers (Ragnarok/ Valgeuro/ TheIsland) please.. Thanks in advance

Well, Ragnarok41 finally came back online, which is a relief!

In the 23hrs since it came back, there have been 8 more outages lasting over 1hr each, but that's normal.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:31 PM, invincibleqc said:

You don't have to worry about that. When a server is down, the entire world is paused.

To reiterate, the world doesn't pause. In that 100hr+ outage, our thatch structures auto-decayed and our cryopods NOT in a cryofridge lost 4 days on their timers.

If there's any way to lobby the devs so that the world DOES pause during an outage, that would be great.

• Volunteer Moderator
45 minutes ago, rhymingreason said:

To reiterate, the world doesn't pause. In that 100hr+ outage, our thatch structures auto-decayed and our cryopods NOT in a cryofridge lost 4 days on their timers.

Then that means the server wasn't down as you suggested, but rather inaccessible while still being up. When a server is down, the entire world is paused and the time isn't ticking at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, invincibleqc said:

Then that means the server wasn't down as you suggested, but rather inaccessible while still being up. When a server is down, the entire world is paused and the time isn't ticking at all.

What's the difference then?

Since the server "came back" 10 days ago, it's been off again most of the time, usually for days. Currently on another 2 day outage and a 7-day up-time of 22%.

The server is gone from the server-list - isn't that being down? I would've thought that seeing it but getting connection errors or timeouts was "inaccessible". 

32 minutes ago, rhymingreason said:

What's the difference then?

Since the server "came back" 10 days ago, it's been off again most of the time, usually for days. Currently on another 2 day outage and a 7-day up-time of 22%.

The server is gone from the server-list - isn't that being down? I would've thought that seeing it but getting connection errors or timeouts was "inaccessible". 

You can see the server down while it is online, this are some cases I can think of:

- The server IP changed, so if you select server from favorites list it will be missing. You can search it under the official list, or directly try to conect via battlemetrics steam:// link.

- There is an outage at some point in the network connection of the server.

- The server is under heavy load and its not responding to Steam Query protocol. This just happened yesterday in our Gen Official. The server went apparently down, it was down according to battlemetrics, but when I used my python check script it was eventually responding to steam queries, like 0,5% of request. The server was down for like 1h, however the rollback was very small (when compaired to the predicted dino imprint times), probably because it was rebooted after being about 50 min in this status.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:54 PM, Jay89 said:

Don't play on a dodgy server then you plebs

It's the only official Ragnarok PVE server in Asia, not swimming in alternatives.

Besides, since it's a "dodgy server", we can barely transfer anything. Tried moving to an Island server a while back, but transferring items is predictably broken - it takes forever to move them into the obelisk (on top of 30min timers), and they very often disappear altogether into the void anyway.

FYI, server still down, 4 days and counting again. Pretty certain my 3000hrs of 'stuff' has auto-decayed at this point, and I'll never play Ark again which is a shame.

Steam says server is offline, joining through Battlemetrics is "unable to query server info", and it doesn't show up in any searches on the game menu - favourites or otherwise.

Edit: Just for fun, here's the Battlemetrics page, up-time of 10%

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/2159345/downtime

rag41.jpg

On 6/2/2020 at 11:46 PM, Jay89 said:

From day 1 of seeing it was a dodgy AF server why didn't you just think I'd best move my shiz

Went to do a boss on an Island server and of the 5 ascendant assault rifles we uploaded, 4 vanished.

That was a particularly egregious rate, but still... if moving was going to take weeks AND we'd lose 50-80% of all our things, then it seemed safer to just bet that "there's no way they can leave this popular official server so broken!". 

Seems I was wrong.

FYI, the server has been down 9 days now.

Every single tamed dino on that entire server has auto-decayed now. As my original thread title says, it's as good as an unannounced server wipe.

After logging 2,874hrs it's terribly sad that it ends like this, with a whimper. It's also disheartening that the devs haven't done - or at least communicated - anything to fix this since the issues started last year. I've submitted countless outage reports, and never heard a thing back, and nothing ever improved.

Obviously I have loved this game, but the lack of care for fixing anything over pushing out more content is so well-documented in these forums that I can't really add anything else. 

And so folks, that's my whole tribe's Ark career over & done with. It's been fun... oftentimes infuriating, but fun.

Archived