Why are we being subjected to transport timers?

Jemcrystal

The timers are ridiculously frustrating for those of us who are not trying to dupe/exploit etc. Another case of the few affecting the many. There are so many issues with the system, it is hard to address them all.

Outside of just the annoyance of waiting, improper understanding of the obelisks can result in massive losses to a player. One would think this system would be intuitive and rock solid. Here are some of my issues with the transfer system and timers:

• How it works: I have SOME understanding of the mechanics involved, but have had mixed results with following along to avoid timers. This is especially frustrating when I have 2 different timers in my inventory for no apparent reason. Finding exact information should be easier. 
  • Intuitive Design: The timers are somewhat easy to notice in your inventory IF you KNOW to look for them. This is a game with considerable depth and to expect a newer player to understand this mechanic just from seeing a yellow timer is laughable. We should not rely on "Oh, there is a yellow timer. Let me stop and Google that real fast."
  • Hotbar Items: I want to know how many times people did NOT notice a yellow timer on their hotbar. Between preparing for a transfer, traveling there, fighting enemies at the obelisk and communicating with teammates, it can be VERY EASY to check your inventory and NOT your hotbar. Added to this that the hotbar will autofill with cryopods where you previously had them and this is a dino killer. 
  • Lag and the Magical Timer: I get to the obelisk and have no timer, search server, find it. Now I go back to make sure I don't have timers. I almost always do. Often times there is a new one. Whether this is due to lag or some mechanic I don't understand, I have to check it because I have lost things by not double checking. However, waiting too long after a timer expires can also give you a new timer. Feels bad.
  • Create Survivor Button: Why is this even a thing after transferring? If I am transferring a character I obviously don't want to delete my whole character to start a new one. Just asking for people to bombard the support staff because of a simple misclick. 

I'll stop there. We all know the problems. At the end of the day, I don't think these timers should exist the way they are currently implemented. They waste time, create frustration and can cause losses. There may be some factors outside of developer control when it comes to lost characters during transfers, but the timers and "create survivor button" are about design and implementation. 

Rock drakes aren’t breedable aren’t they?.? Also sorry sea dragon is a modded creature I like... and I’m currently making for my mod... How did you get them on the island? Int. Commands?

21 minutes ago, Castlerock said:

Rock drakes are easy, i raised about 40+ at once before on my island server back when breeding was on 1x.
What u mean by sea dragons?

Rock drakes aren’t breedable aren’t they?.? Also sorry sea dragon is a modded creature I like... and I’m currently making for my mod... How did you get them on the island? Int. Commands?

No they arent. I meant i hatched 40+ plus eggs from the wild ones and raised them at the same time.

I just transfer the egg to island and hatch them there.

Archived