Why are we being subjected to transport timers?

Jemcrystal

When traveling between maps is so risky?  We could loose our character.  We need to be able to move fast after the last crash to avoid risk of being deleted.  Yet we have to stand waiting for 15 minutes??  Why do we still have these timers?  Isn't the risk of getting our character deleted enough punishment?

1 hour ago, Jemcrystal said:

When traveling between maps is so risky?  We could loose our character.  We need to be able to move fast after the last crash to avoid risk of being deleted.  Yet we have to stand waiting for 15 minutes??  Why do we still have these timers?  Isn't the risk of getting our character deleted enough punishment?

To prevent duping... But they still dupe tho

You don't have to wait, if you only transfer your character... If you transfer items, you can do tasks while you wait, as long as you have the items on you.. I don't see it as a big problem. 

My friend last night lost everything on his character and thought he lost his character too. By some miracle after a few hours, he was able

to get his character to download but all his stuff was gone. I totally agree, it is EXTREMELY high risk to transfer. The wait time is definitely

a crazy amount of time to have to wait. Just the other day when I saw 13 minutes to go, I was thinking, this is insane amount of time to have

to wait.....I can see maybe 5 minute max so all data can be secured and other things getting finalized in the background....but the timers they

have on it now is overkill. 

No one should ever transfer their main character. If you have a lvl 135+ character, DO NOT TRANSFER that char. 

You can't trust this game or the servers on official, it's just how it is. Make new characters on the other servers you play on or hope that the server duplicates your character one day instead of deleting it.

Losing uploaded items is nothing compared to a lvl 135+ char. Even making some imprinted dinos like rock drakes or reaper for an Aberration char is nothing compared to the time you spent leveling a char to over 135+ and doing all the bosses.

The servers are running on microwaves that they somehow linked together and I personally do not believe that Wildcard/Snail Games will ever be able to make them stable. 

Even Ubisoft, EA and Blizzard servers have their issues even if they are nothing compared to the ARK servers but if such gigantic gaming companies still struggle with such issues, what can you expect from Wildcard/Snail Games? 

There are even absolut god gamers who believe that they are dodging the issue of losing their chars because of their superior gaming skills or knowledge. It really made me laugh when I once talked to someone like that. Because you were lucky all those years, doesn't mean the issue isn't there and you were just ''lucky'' nothing else.

For everyone else, swallow the pill and make chars for all your servers. Do not expect anything from Wildcard and try to help yourself as best as you can.

PS: this doesn't mean we shouldn't speak out about the issue. Keep pestering Wildcard/Snail Games about the problem but play as if they will never fix it.

16 hours ago, Jemcrystal said:

On legacy servers people use to deliberately upload items and then cause a server crash via multiple methods. When the server crash happened a 15 minute rollback would occur, so the item that was uploaded would still be uploaded but the item in their inventory would also remain due to the 15 minute server rollback. So that's how duping was done.

So rather than actually fixing the core problem, Wild Card just added a 15 minute timer and made all the servers 'legacy' so the duped content couldn't be transferred to new servers..

Regarding character losses. up-vote this if u agree:

4 hours ago, johnm81 said:

I’d love to hear from a dev why this game doesn’t do a character back up once a day. The sheer loss a missing character represents makes easily a top five issue under meshing duping aimbotting and ini.

you literally could contain all a character is in a single string variable.

They sure need to do something, the amount of tickets they have to address regarding character losses must be huge right now with the current state of the servers. A friend of mine lost her character 4 times in just one week, despite all the warnings I gave not to do character transfers. 

Couldn't the impact on lost characters be reduced by saving character on the server you left and again on the server you enter, that way if a rollback happenes due to crashes you would have a character on the last server you was on. Or like many people suggest is just back up characters on transfer. Surely that would reduce the ticket load on the GM 

you don't really lose your character over server crashes anymore

character saves are independent from server save. one good way to know this is have yourself mindwiped and crash the server. your character will come back into the game already mindwiped tho you may have to respawn in a bed to see a complete reset.

when you transfer and lose your toon its due to some other reasons...like the server didn't know which copy of your ark data to keep so it deletes the wrong one

59 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

character saves are independent from server save. one good way to know this is have yourself mindwiped and crash the server. your character will come back into the game already mindwiped tho you may have to respawn in a bed to see a complete reset.

when you transfer and lose your toon its due to some other reasons...like the server didn't know which copy of your ark data to keep so it deletes the wrong one

The most germane question isn't what causes it to be deleted server side. Rather what is the best way to perform backups so that an automated restore feature can be used the moment a character is lost vs WEEKS of waiting for banker hours customer service (ya right...) rep can tell you why they can't help you and go pound off.... 

1 hour ago, HiImZech said:

It appears u do lose characters on server saves, if u transfer and miss the server save at the other side then the server pops, it always rolls back to last save rendering ur character non existent,  people including my friend looses characters this way. To loose one toon is bad enough but to loose 4 in a week because she missed the save is crazy, it would drive me nuts lol

23 hours ago, reddotjellytot said:

It appears u do lose characters on server saves, if u transfer and miss the server save at the other side then the server pops, it always rolls back to last save rendering ur character non existent,  people including my friend looses characters this way. To loose one toon is bad enough but to loose 4 in a week because she missed the save is crazy, it would drive me nuts lol

when did you experience this because even with our unstable server from dec to april none of us lost our toons during transfer

we do get our toons duplicated, and someone derped out and deleted their original toon with the one from another server

other than that none of those frequent server hoppers got their toon deleted

33 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

when did you experience this because even with our unstable server from dec to april none of us lost our toons during transfer

we do get our toons duplicated, and someone derped out and deleted their original toon with the one from another server

other than that none of those frequent server hoppers got their toon deleted

This happened to a friend only 3 weeks ago she traveled to another server from valguero to a rag server, a few min later while she was on her way to the obi to collect items she had uploaded the server crashed and restarted. When she logged back in 40min later she was presented with only create a new character, she also checked the valguero server she left from just in case it was there but also got only create a new character option.

21 hours ago, reddotjellytot said:

This happened to a friend only 3 weeks ago she traveled to another server from valguero to a rag server, a few min later while she was on her way to the obi to collect items she had uploaded the server crashed and restarted. When she logged back in 40min later she was presented with only create a new character, she also checked the valguero server she left from just in case it was there but also got only create a new character option.

ah. should have checked val immediately...

2 minutes ago, Wrenwhisten said:

The GM's are asking for ss of your character ID# so make sure you guys have one for a fully restored character.

What about building/dino timers, by the time a GM comes to restore your character it's already too late, they ar not the fastest at responding to tickets these days, but I guess that's bad if ur a solo player 

43 minutes ago, Wrenwhisten said:

The GM's are asking for ss of your character ID# so make sure you guys have one for a fully restored character. That means all boss fights and levels.

False.

GM Rose upon arriving to give me back my 134 all tek engrams character AFTER WAITING 17 DAYS informed me that even though I gave a SS of my ID# AND engrams she would only level me to 105, give tame imprints, and 5 tek engrams...

And if I had an issue with it there was 0 I or she could do about it.

Customer service is a joke.

@johnm81yea, you always get a lvl 105 char. Maybe they search for a character with that ID before giving you a lvl 105? 

But the character ''restore'' system is way too flawed and Wildcard has way too long ignored that gigantic issue. I really wonder how many people have lost their chars over all the years, HOW can this not be a number 1 priority to find a solution. I simply can not understand it.

Also everyone who hasn't lost a char was just lucky nothing else.

It can happen so easily and randomly, you transfer and the server crashes before a server save = lost character.

And even if the server saves it could crash later on and rollback, minutes or hours which also leads to your character being deleted if it wasn't on the server during that time.

Such a gigantic issue being dragged along by Wildcard for years and nothing is done about it. Thousands hours of gameplay time vanished over the years because no one ever took this serious and tried to implement a system that would help/prevent it.

The only thing Wildcard thinks about is how people would try to scam them out of a character or engrams which is a joke. (who takes pictures of their chars regularly without knowing that you need this to even get engrams/imprints back?)

• Volunteer Moderator
14 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

yea, you always get a lvl 105 char.

Actually, they give you max experience. If you ascend before your appointment but haven't maxed out yet, the experience they give you will go above 105. However, if you don't, then yes, your character will indeed max out at 105.

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, StaceyMalibu said:

GM's should have the power to spawn the boss fight in front of your base and let you kill it on the spot. With several conditions of course. But should be doable. Either that, or him joining/summoning the fight and killing the boss himself for you to get the engrams.

Or just fix the commands that used to be available:

defeatboss
defeatallbosses
maxascend

They have been broken around genesis release, but used to allow an admin to unlock any boss/ascension for any player.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:59 PM, MostSpy said:

On legacy servers people use to deliberately upload items and then cause a server crash via multiple methods. When the server crash happened a 15 minute rollback would occur, so the item that was uploaded would still be uploaded but the item in their inventory would also remain due to the 15 minute server rollback. So that's how duping was done.

So rather than actually fixing the core problem, Wild Card just added a 15 minute timer and made all the servers 'legacy' so the duped content couldn't be transferred to new servers..

Regarding character losses. up-vote this if u agree:

However that was fixed before early access ended. Items uploaded will immediately be removed from server save so rollback wont get them back.

Archived