My problem with Genesis

SuaveHyena

My problem with Genesis

First of fall, this may have been posted before (probably).

My problem with Genesis (and how it killed my  PvE Ark community) is the mission system.

Granted I can get behind the idea of having missions to complete and have some rivalry between players, locking boss fights behind a tedious wall of missions killed my server.

We started in the bog biome, which apparently was labeled "easy" for some reason. Got our spiders tamed, went to snow biome, which was more peaceful than the bog. With our new HQ in the snow biome, we tamed some Feroxes, Magmasaurs and standard "boss rexes". We had some fun doing dodo basket games and fixed some glitches to buy some stuff from the in-game shop. We knew Moeder was a boss but not THE boss. So we got some Mosas and went straight for Alpha Moeder. No problem, we were happy to unlock some new blueprints.

Then we started looking up how to defeat the real main boss...to our disappointment, we had to complete every single mission to even unlock the boss fight.  This was back when the race timers on PC were still broken. People on my server simply quit. Nobody wanted to do all those missions just to unlock the boss fight?!

I love the missions. I think they re-vitalize the play experience for ark.

You don't have to complete all the missions, just a certain number for each difficulty. While yes, you could just do 100% of the gamma missions, you can also mix and match--say by doing 70% of gamma missions, and 30% the easy beta ones.

Gamma missions are also (with few exceptions) very easy. You take 5x reduced damage, but deal 5x increased damage. Each biome has the same types of missions: exploration, checkpoint, gauntlet, races, hunts. If you have a single boss rex, you can complete all of the hunts easily.

Why do you think the normal ark experience is any better? It's just tame > breed stats > get army > fight boss, then you're done. With Genesis, you actually have to play in all the biomes to progress, and the difficulty of each mission tier forces you to use different strategies & teamwork to win.

you don't need to do 100% of missions to do alpha i think there is an 8 mission gap. some missions are next to impossible due to lag like alpha spider race where spider doesn't web because of lag and sends you plummiting to the ground. in saying this i believe the missions to be great and their are also maps with missions removed for people who do not like them.

20 hours ago, SuaveHyena said:

We started in the bog biome, which apparently was labeled "easy" for some reason.

i was thinking myself it was 'dino difficulty' when i first started playing, but the easy, medium, and hard don't really have any sense at all.  People use to think it was the weather rating, but with genesis that was totally blown out of the water, as the ocean is the easiest to survive in, both dino wise and weather wise, the only thing that seems to get you there is when diving in the water.  I'm starting to think wildcard only labels the zones like this to goat new people into going to the zones.

20 hours ago, SuaveHyena said:

Then we started looking up how to defeat the real main boss...to our disappointment, we had to complete every single mission to even unlock the boss fight.  This was back when the race timers on PC were still broken. People on my server simply quit. Nobody wanted to do all those missions just to unlock the boss fight?!

There are a total of 176 Missions across the 5 simulated maps, to do the final test, you need 58 for gamma, 116 for beta, or 168 for alpha.  from my understanding only the individual starting the mission needs to have the number of missions unlocked, not everyone who wants to go.  For me to unlock 168 missions on my character, the official servers would have to be lag free, which will never happen, lag stops too many of them from being done within the time frame, especially the races.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:58 AM, SuaveHyena said:

We started in the bog biome, which apparently was labeled "easy" for some reason. 

I have the suspicion that it was labelled that way based on 'Single player settings' as the bog is missing Sarcos/Kapros(thank god!)/Baryonix&'''angry birds''...really the only real threat is an over-population of X-Raptors. So, I don't think they really tested what it was like when they added everything else in for regular play....just my theory.

Archived