New Servers Unparalleled Success

Jemcrystal

New Servers Unparalleled Success

This is the breath of life Ark Multiplayer needs.   This fix works.  But we need more.

My rag server was bad during the easter event.  It got an upgrade.  Now...  it's still bad.  Just not as bad.  But it crashes every four hours making it unplayable.  Which is better than what it was doing before.  That is a broken game.

However if you look at the new rag pve server despite it being population maxed out it is holding up with NO CRASHES.

Guys.  Guyyyysz.  Dis is da way.

We need more wiped servers.  The older a server gets the more poopy it goes to until at some point its not even fit for a compost bin.  Can we destroy all old servers wiping everything and create new ones?   For pve.

Pvp don't need it.  They clean themselves up with killing each other off.   If you do anything for pvp change their gameplay so beach bobs have a chance against mega tribes (hint pvevp three months to build three months to die; wipe, rinse, repeat)

Pve servers need new Ragnaroks !!!  Many new Rags.  Look the new server below is at max I cannot even join:

rag721.png

newservers.png

A server wipe would do far more harm than good in my opinion.  Take away thousands of hours, years of dino raising from the pve players and you risk losing the entirety of most of them as nobody is going to probably want to go through all that raising/breeding, imprinting, mutating, all over again.  There is no disputing that a full on server wipe would benefit each server community as it would dramatically improve performance, however that would be short lived as people start rebuilding, repopulating the server with dinos, and get back into the swing of things.  As Momudd said, it would serve as a bandaid rather than a viable solution.  In truth, hardware upgrades are one of the bigger factors, when you add more software, more subroutines, more processing to a program as big and involved as Ark, you cause an increased demand for more hardware resources to keep up with the advancements.  The other side involves the devs and finding new ways to approach the issues which cause most of the lag, mesh is notoriously hard to handle well on games that have a multitude of potential color variations, a classic example is Second Life.  In Second Life, once you've rendered into a sim and are walking around and have let the area load, it's smooth as silk, but until then it's a choppy, laggy and stuttering mess.  Also keep in mind that you aren't just rendering it in, you are also having to render in whenever a player moves into the area, which again causes lag.  It's an unfortunate struggle the developers constantly have to try and battle through, and it's really not even a matter of magically throwing code in there that handles it better, it's a matter of the technology we currently have available hasn't grown enough to match the demand so we're limited as to what can or cannot be done through code which means servers have to be given appropriate upgrades until significant advancements in APIs come about.

Do you guys not understand that the fresh servers are only good at the beginning but will turn into the same garbage as all the others in some months?

They don't lag now because there are nearly no structures on them but it will look different in a few months from now. Is the solution to wipe the servers every few months? I'm not a fan of getting my progress wiped and starting all over again. That's also why I don't play games like Diablo 3 or Path of Exiles because the seasons render all your reached progress useless and everyone has to start over, wow so fun, doing the same thing over and over again every few months.

Some people may enjoy this kind of system but I would bet that the overwhelming majority of ARK players do not enjoy getting everything wiped and starting over. 

I said this before but official servers can't handle the numbers if they get older and people build up. 

What could help are harder restrictions, lower dino numbers, lower structure count numbers. A really big help for everyone who isn't hogging the whole map would also be to set the structure limit to the whole tribe instead instead of just the area for a single building. Give each tribe something like a 15-35k structure limit whatever the current number is and prevent them from building 10 gigantic bases on different locations.

The dino limit can be way lower now without cryo cooldown and with cryoballs and fridges. Everything I said is merely for PVE where the majority of the playerbase is. No one needs more than 200 dinos outside of their cryos.

PS: Just a reminder that some months ago some idiot complained here that Wildcard wiped half of his base. He cheated the structure limit and was even proud that his gigantic pile of garbage managed to crash the server multiple times. Such people are not rare on ARK, selfish pricks who hog gigantic areas or put 500 dinos on display because it looks nice.

Another nice way to fix this issue with so many dinos out would be to offer up breeders a way to breed and raise using a single item like a breeding / raising pod, there are a few ways you could go about this so that you don't have to actually render out dinos.  While I like looking at my rexes as they raise, if it means better server performance and stability, I'd be more than willing to sacrifice eye candy for that.

I think most people would agree that the more creature people cryo, the less lag there will be.

Reasons why a PvE player may cryo creature:

cryoed creature does not take up space

cryoed creature does not need to be feed

Reasons why a PvE player may NOT cryo creature:

cryoed creature can be stolen by an insider, or if someone destroyed your base with wild creatures

solution: assign tribe ranking to death cache of structure (unless decayed or demolished by its owner, death cache of structure will only be accessible to the players in the owner tribe who have access to the original structure)

configurations (behavior settings) are cleared upon cryo

solution: don't clear them

for breeding creatures, you do not see the mating timer, colors, and mutations on cryoed creature, nor can you export it.

solution:  add mating timer, colors, and mutations on cryopod information and add export option in right click menu

it takes too long to cryo and uncryo mass amount of creatures

solution:  reduce time cost for   cryoing and uncryoing creatures. (Perhaps also add a "cryo hub" structure that can mass cryo/uncryo nearby adult creature with full health?)

to leave it outside and show off

no solution

cryopods are too expensive

no solution

Guys, in my opinion you need to think "Technical"........Yes there are hundreds of creatures out....people love to show off, that will never stop.

The major problem currently is that the servers are NOT "Modern" high end servers. The game has had an increase in players big time over

the last few years, so yes I see 30-40 players on at once on official, with server player cap saying 70 players max (if I remember correctly).

Last night with only 5 players on, the server lagged every 5 minutes for anywhere from 10-30 seconds. Today it crashed again with ongoing

down time of about 6 hours now. A grand total of 26 hours in the last 5 days.....down.

They NEED to UPGRADE their servers to powerful MODERN servers that can handle the load.

With a game like this, raising a giga that might take weeks for the normal person, is NOT a game you can just simply wipe every few months.

They MUST upgrade their servers to handle the load in my opinion. I know tech, I know what's out there available and I don't think they are using

it.

Another possible option???? Add a ton more servers to handle the increase in players and reduce that 70 cap to 40......just sayin.

Wow. Every time someone mentions laggy servers, someone else brings up dino parking lots. That is not the problem, come on guys. Everyone knows what the problem is, but nobody knows how to fix it. We are still recovering from the Homestead patch.

When Homestead was going to be released, the ark devs were warned by the author that it would lag the servers down hard, but they went ahead with it.

After the Homestead patch, the servers would lock up, like worse than extinction does right now. Every. Single. Save.

Raise your hand if you were here during this time and remember the horror it was.

Within a few weeks (yeh, weeks.....) it got down to 30 second or so saves. It has never gotten better. We were all just so happy to not have the complete lockups, we enjoyed the new lag. Fast forward to now and people just remember there has always been lag. Very few people remember flying a drake without landing from Fertile Lake all the way down to the skely in red. Can't do that now. You will freeze at least once during the trip and find yourself on the ground. Never happened before Homestead. That is how I judged how good on a drake I was getting, when I could fly all the way down. Made the tip many times, but now it is a gamble.

Raise your hand if you remember doing a vein or drop on Extinction, without fear of the server crashing. I remember when the greatest fear was meteors during one. LOL..... ah to be young again.

But good news!!! Theres a new map with a new dino!!! Soon everyone will forget about the server freezes again for a short while.

Quit blaming dino parkers. I was playing this game back when there was no dino limit, servers were at max pop and bases reached the rainbow ceiling. The servers were not near as bad back then. We raced pteras from Carno to Herby and back. Can't do that now without freezing at least 5 times during the trip.

It is not dino parkers. It is not people with big bases. All that stuff has been around forever. It is the changes to structures that went in with Homestead that has since caused such dramatic changes in save times.

20 minutes ago, JSacra said:

Wow. Every time someone mentions laggy servers, someone else brings up dino parking lots. That is not the problem, come on guys. Everyone knows what the problem is, but nobody knows how to fix it. We are still recovering from the Homestead patch.

When Homestead was going to be released, the ark devs were warned by the author that it would lag the servers down hard, but they went ahead with it.

After the Homestead patch, the servers would lock up, like worse than extinction does right now. Every. Single. Save.

Raise your hand if you were here during this time and remember the horror it was.

Within a few weeks (yeh, weeks.....) it got down to 30 second or so saves. It has never gotten better. We were all just so happy to not have the complete lockups, we enjoyed the new lag. Fast forward to now and people just remember there has always been lag. Very few people remember flying a drake without landing from Fertile Lake all the way down to the skely in red. Can't do that now. You will freeze at least once during the trip and find yourself on the ground. Never happened before Homestead. That is how I judged how good on a drake I was getting, when I could fly all the way down. Made the tip many times, but now it is a gamble.

Raise your hand if you remember doing a vein or drop on Extinction, without fear of the server crashing. I remember when the greatest fear was meteors during one. LOL..... ah to be young again.

But good news!!! Theres a new map with a new dino!!! Soon everyone will forget about the server freezes again for a short while.

Quit blaming dino parkers. I was playing this game back when there was no dino limit, servers were at max pop and bases reached the rainbow ceiling. The servers were not near as bad back then. We raced pteras from Carno to Herby and back. Can't do that now without freezing at least 5 times during the trip.

It is not dino parkers. It is not people with big bases. All that stuff has been around forever. It is the changes to structures that went in with Homestead that has since caused such dramatic changes in save times.

You would be wrong, on some levels and right on others. The technology used to process and render mesh is dated, ask any of the devs, and it does cause an excessive amount of lag depending on the activity on the server and what's out and standing there. Is it the end all be all of why the servers perform that way? nope.  But it heavily contributes.  I'm not saying we can't through development improve the situation, but the decision to design a mesh renderer that uses variants that are dependent on the individual causes complications on real time rendering.

33 minutes ago, Rio4201 said:

You would be wrong, on some levels and right on others.

My apologies for nitpicking, but I am correct on every issue I pointed out. When homestead released, servers locked up solid. Ever since then they have never returned to their previous state.

36 minutes ago, Rio4201 said:

Is it the end all be all of why the servers perform that way? nope.

For the purpose of my post, yes. It is exactly why the servers freeze today. They did not freeze like this before Homestead and they started to freeze when Homestead was released. They have also never returned to their previous state, so I will stand by what I said.

Ive played this since beta and yes when they put in the build restrictions and tribe 500 dino cap it did help with the lag on the servers even before the game was officially released. We've been on rag, center, ab well before homestead was released and played with friends/ally's on many others and NONE completely froze/locked up so don't know what your referring to there. But to just say that mega bases and 500 dino storage lots aren't a problem when it was a problem even before the game was officially released speaks for itself.

So called "Breeders" are a problem for server performance as so many people try to breed dino's they got from the actual handful of breeders. How many bases do you go by with 50-300+ [insert dino] they didn't create those lines. They just got an egg or clone from whatever new stat that was released from the actual breeder or got it from someone who got it from the breeder and mated it with what they have. One quick look at the lineage will tell you that.

A real simple way to fix a big portion of this problem even though it will be highly unpopular is to just remove the cloning chamber from the game entirely and delete every cloned dino. It will drastically reduce the "Cloned Show ponies" dino's and the dino count on every server in general, and like others have said a server wipe is not the answer It took 1-2 months for the genesis servers to get so laggy and are getting to the point of being on par with other servers with 5-20 people on them and that's without being able to transfer anything in. Classic example of this is i think its 4hrs or less to clone a level 1 giga, so with just 1 cloner say 1 giga a day during the work week and 3 on sat and sun that's 24 gigas in the same amount of time it takes to cook 1 egg and raise 1, so its not hard to see why its takes so little time to spam an army with additional cloners. You can replace the giga with which ever dino you want its still quicker to clone an army than to raise one, this is why any map with high element returns on boss fights or just easy to gather in general will always be a problem spread to every other map by all the clones and their exponential growth due to cloning chambers. 

Rarely do you see this problem on aberration because element is much harder to obtain, along with the long list of dino's that aren't allowed on aberration to begin with. If a aberration server is laggy its because of the giant bases and dino tribe limits are maxxed as aberration has far less than 1/2 of all the dinos allowed on there in the game. And the sought after dino's on there are non breedable rock drakes, basilisk, reapers, karkinos. Untill WC/snail games puts in some specific changes to their CoC about dino number restrictions and not just "easily tamed dinos" and puts a building cap for the tribe for the entire map servers will continue to suffer.

I don't know how the structure count is assigned but just doing some quick math using a box building as an example 25 x 40 assuming each wall, ceiling, foundation, pillar counts as 1 that's about 4500 with a combination of pillars and foundations with 2 behem gates in it. A more reasonable structure limit for the tribe I think would be 12k gives you plenty to make your main base and a water base (if needed) and some outposts with teleporters. Some one said a structure limit of between 15-35k that's just crazy if that's how the structure count works. If someone knows how the structure count works or can post a link or something I didn't google it because I just dont see why you need a base bigger than 25 x 40 tiles for the average tribe. 

15 minutes ago, CowBoyKillers said:

But to just say that mega bases and 500 dino storage lots aren't a problem when it was a problem even before the game was officially released speaks for itself.

They aren't the problem. They cause lag, not server lockups.

Fly around the map and hit a lag pocket, freeze for half a second, base renders. THAT is mega base and dino parking.

Be at your base trying to open a smithy, but can't for 30 seconds. THAT is not because of breeders and dino parking.

During legacy I had over 1,000 dinos at my park. It was a park, not a base. My neighbor had a mega base that went all the way up to build height limit, full metal. If you flew over near Southeast Shores, you would lock up for half a sec, maybe little more, until stuff rendered. That is lag my friends.

Sitting at my base with 20 dinos, rest in pods. Can't open smithy. Walk up same stairs 3 times. Client crashes. Server not in list. That is not lag. OMG. Please quit blaming breeders.

11 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Not sure that FPS drop when rendering a base is actually lag. Seems everything is just lumped together and called lag.

Wish I had a cookie to give you, but take my heart instead ?

Opened forums back up expecting one of those other people to just quote and argue for the sake of arguing. I made my initial post to call out the fact that people have had huge bases and tons of dinos for years, without this problem. I am honestly stunned that people with as much play time as some of these have forgotten that. I have played on a server with avg 30 people, dinos without dino cap, bases bigger than you see now.. and none of this lockup stuff. Why blame dinos, when we didn't have this problem before there were caps? People just remember lag back then and cal the server lockups lag now, so just want to point and blame the base with a ton of pretty dinos.

I will no longer be replying to this thread. It is pointless. The problem is not the dinos. The problem is not big bases. We had those before we had complete server lockups every 15 minutes. It is not lag. It is not the dinos. It is the server. Please recognize the difference and stop arguing for arguments sake. Think hard on how the servers were back then. A heck of a lot more stable, not counting the bugs and stuff. I'm talking server stability and the ability to actually play the game. I spend more time now wondering why I can't open the smithy (server save, server locked up) than out having fun. That is a problem.

Client crashes and server not being on the list is something else entirely, and legacy servers just died a slow population death as soon as the game was officially released with the constant consolidation of them. Which makes the whole situation worst because there were no CoC rules or support for legacy it was a FFA and people who played on those servers continued to play on official servers as if they were legacy. They should of just wiped them all like they said they would instead of giving in to all the crying about how people were gonna loose everything when the game went official it was a beta test plain and simple. 

I was not blaming actual breeders, more so the people who get said dino stat/stats by getting a clone, or egg, or mating it with their buddies dino and then having another 50/100/300 of said dino and then just mate that with what they have which is probably the last iteration of said dino. They could just wait and buy the eggs with ingame mats and sit and wait for the next iteration. All im saying is that there is no need to have 1000's of people having 10,000's or 100,000's or more of the same exact dino all breed by the same original breeder anyways. They wont out breed the breeders plain and simple, from what I understand there is on average 16-20 servers running off 1 blade of the server. I cant say for fact that this is the case with this game, and as much as some want to say its lousy servers etc.... ive been on some EU rag servers that ran smooth as butter barely even noticed a server save. And we been on rag servers where you have to log on 4-6 times a week just to make sure that when you refreshed timers the server didn't crash and roll back as if you were never there. 

The bulk of the complaints started with the valentines and easter events which were both breeding/color events and has continued on since then cause its x2 during covid. There hasn't been alot added in the patches since then other than fixes for bugs, meshing issues, and exploits.

So what changed during those events? other than accelerated breeding and taming colors? Taking out the cloning chamber which allows for the exponential collection of dinos and removing cloned dinos would eliminate millions of dinos spread over the servers if you don't think that will help server performance then don't know what else to say.  

2 weeks (give or take a day or so) the val server i am on had an 'influx' of squares - not been mean - i dont have the fonts pack installed because i cant read Chinese / Japanese / whatever symbols so squares is fine with me - however in that timeframe the servers ping has doubled and the lag has got much worse from magically appearing new bases to whole new rex / giga armies popping over night so the server has had a massive load placed on it and the whole server feels it except the squares which are using it as a parking lot - and tell me one good reason apart from epeen size why the hell u need to display / uplaod spacewhales ??? 

6 minutes ago, CowBoyKillers said:

Client crashes and server not being on the list is something else entirely, and legacy servers just died a slow population death as soon as the game was officially released with the constant consolidation of them. Which makes the whole situation worst because there were no CoC rules or support for legacy it was a FFA and people who played on those servers continued to play on official servers as if they were legacy. They should of just wiped them all like they said they would instead of giving in to all the crying about how people were gonna loose everything when the game went official it was a beta test plain and simple. 

I was not blaming actual breeders, more so the people who get said dino stat/stats by getting a clone, or egg, or mating it with their buddies dino and then having another 50/100/300 of said dino and then just mate that with what they have which is probably the last iteration of said dino. They could just wait and buy the eggs with ingame mats and sit and wait for the next iteration. All im saying is that there is no need to have 1000's of people having 10,000's or 100,000's or more of the same exact dino all breed by the same original breeder anyways. They wont out breed the breeders plain and simple, from what I understand there is on average 16-20 servers running off 1 blade of the server. I cant say for fact that this is the case with this game, and as much as some want to say its lousy servers etc.... ive been on some EU rag servers that ran smooth as butter barely even noticed a server save. And we been on rag servers where you have to log on 4-6 times a week just to make sure that when you refreshed timers the server didn't crash and roll back as if you were never there. 

The bulk of the complaints started with the valentines and easter events which were both breeding/color events and has continued on since then cause its x2 during covid. There hasn't been alot added in the patches since then other than fixes for bugs, meshing issues, and exploits.

So what changed during those events? other than accelerated breeding and taming colors? Taking out the cloning chamber which allows for the exponential collection of dinos and removing cloned dinos would eliminate millions of dinos spread over the servers if you don't think that will help server performance then don't know what else to say.  

I am not sure taking the cloner out is viable.. You remove this it means more dinos out to breed and longer periods if leaving the dinos out to raise. I have 2 cloners, I may use them every few weeks. Granted I don't mass sell dinos in game or online..

Archived