unreal 5 and ark

HiImZech

given the buggy state that ARK is still in (granted they've managed to fix a lot of bugs over the years since early access), I doubt we'll see Ark on Unreal 5. Even if they did make Ark 2.0 on unreal 5, I remember the days of early access Ark and it was a 3-ring circus at times. Sometimes you would log in after a patch and trees had grown through your base and destroyed half of your stuff, and going an hour without a disconnect was a miracle. Would I go through all that again just to play a shinier version of Ark? probably not. On my RTX card Ark currently looks pretty damn good still, and the game actually runs fine most days. 

Epic did say the engine is designed to make transitions from the previous one, to 5 a lot easier and also make development easier(including importing current games to 5). I mean the lighting and texture solutions alone could be a huge boost to game performance. So it's possible but would require significant work...so,I would suspect it'd be much better to create Ark 2 taking advantage of all the other software and hardware upgrades of the new consoles. I mean there seems to be huge stride in the tech for creating open worlds. I suspect most Devs have been privy to the upcoming Unreal 5 engine for a while and....it may be the reason why the studio decided to extend Ark's life span with 3 more DLCs before moving to create Ark2 until the new consoles have been out for a while and they have their hands on the new engine.

2 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

new engine means code has to be rewritten in a new language, it might be similar to the last engine's language - but the differences will all have to be addressed and that's a huge undertaking.  Probably easier to just rewrite the game....

This is not true. It's in engine developer's best interest to make upgrade as easy as possible for their customer. They don't want you to finish current game and think about UE5 later. No no no, do it now! Support will guide you through this process, holding your hand and whispering reassuring things in your ear.

You can still have everything important as an external code in C for example and poke those functions with your blueprints. It is like that already for Ark.

Often, new version of the engine would convert your project's scripts and other assets to compatible form.
That doesn't mean though that everything is automated and you have to do nothing. As the very least - lighting in UE based games goes messed up with every new version and assuming they changed a lot with introduction of Lumen it's more than likely that game will look like ass after conversion. Contrast, brightness, tint, shadows : everything will look off and require manual tweaking.

I'm sure WC would have to change their own code, but it's far from doing it in new language and definitely not as harsh as assembling a whole game from scratch.

19 minutes ago, deedoubleu said:

This is not true. It's in engine developer's best interest to make upgrade as easy as possible for their customer. They don't want you to finish current game and think about UE5 later. No no no, do it now! Support will guide you through this process, holding your hand and whispering reassuring things in your ear.

You can still have everything important as an external code in C for example and poke those functions with your blueprints. It is like that already for Ark.

Often, new version of the engine would convert your project's scripts and other assets to compatible form.
That doesn't mean though that everything is automated and you have to do nothing. As the very least - lighting in UE based games goes messed up with every new version and assuming they changed a lot with introduction of Lumen it's more than likely that game will look like ass after conversion. Contrast, brightness, tint, shadows : everything will look off and require manual tweaking.

I'm sure WC would have to change their own code, but it's far from doing it in new language and definitely not as harsh as assembling a whole game from scratch.

Ummm no it would still be a large amount effort to move the game to the new engine. It would make way more sense to save UE5 for ark 2 while they fix the bugs in their base code at the same time. 

1 minute ago, FreelancerKnux said:

Ummm no it would still be a large amount effort to move the game to the new engine. It would make way more sense to save UE5 for ark 2 while they fix the bugs in their base code at the same time. 

No? Are you saying that upgrading the game to new engine version IS the same as rewriting the code using new language or actually AS harsh as starting from scratch?

To clarify: it does require a lot of work and since upgrading engine even within UE4.x was not an option, transition to UE5 most probably will never happen. I was commenting on "using new language" statement which is incorrect.

17 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

No? Are you saying that upgrading the game to new engine version IS the same as rewriting the code using new language or actually AS harsh as starting from scratch?

To clarify: it does require a lot of work and since upgrading engine even within UE4.x was not an option, transition to UE5 most probably will never happen. I was commenting on "using new language" statement which is incorrect.

Yeh and the fact that the ue4 version  Ark is using right now is heavily modified. Its not even compatible with some of the ue4 engine updates without heavy rework.

5 hours ago, Luewen said:

Yeh and the fact that the ue4 version  Ark is using right now is heavily modified. Its not even compatible with some of the ue4 engine updates without heavy rework.

It's hard to tell from the outside really. It could be that the new engine has all the necessary features, that Ark devs had to modify in 4, already built in. So wouldn't require extensive work. They're upgrading Fortnite to it, and that's probably a more complex game to do so. Their focus was clearly on making it as Dev-friendly as possible to dominate the market over the Unity&Lumberyard engines...truth be told I'd love to see Ark Devs respond with their thoughts behind whatever decision they're making

5 hours ago, KingOfAshes said:

It's hard to tell from the outside really. It could be that the new engine has all the necessary features, that Ark devs had to modify in 4, already built in. So wouldn't require extensive work. They're upgrading Fortnite to it, and that's probably a more complex game to do so. Their focus was clearly on making it as Dev-friendly as possible to dominate the market over the Unity&Lumberyard engines...truth be told I'd love to see Ark Devs respond with their thoughts behind whatever decision they're making

Actually code vise fortnight is tiny and much less complex compared to ark. And fortnight has been done basic unreal engine with not much modifications to base code. Its multiple times easier to update than ark.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, TraXz said:

Zero chances. 

But let's just imagine that the devs. actually took the challenge to upgrade the engine, then it would most likely take them some years and it would feature even more bugs. Let's just face it, that the devs. behind ARK is not the most competent in the game industry. 

In the year 3025 We still cannot find a way to make engine upgrades because Game Engine Makers are to dumb and lack brain cells to make it easy. That's are future we as a human species are not smart enough to solve this problem and no matter how far are tech advanced wee will never beat it to make upgrades easier and instead make excuses to avoid solving it and just say "Better to just make a new game" instead of solving the issue before it's to late in some distant future.

But eh, What do I know right? It might be a simple answer to solving game engine upgrades we just don't know it yet or we may never perfect that ability at all or never. But one can at least have hope to at least try.

Or maybe the real reason we won't even try hard enough is because if we made games up-gradable, Then the "Better to just make a new game" crowd will die out and have no way to make those posts to end all discussions or they believe if we made upgrading games to easy it will ruin are ability to make new games.

ANYWAYS, That's just my perspective of the matter, We won't advance if we don't at least try and make it a reality when more and people makes excuses the further away we will make it happen. I guess an entire population rather not let it happen.

Even if they don't put Ark on Unreal Engine 5, Then well it won't be hard to give it Raytracing Ability that be easier than a entire engine upgrade.

34 minutes ago, SonicMobian said:

In the year 3025 We still cannot find a way to make engine upgrades

There are games that are being upgraded.... A game I used to play called APB:Reloaded is in a progress of upgrading their game engine. 
The problem with this particular game is that it has been sold to a very small company that has taken over a half-finished job, but they are getting close to a full upgrade after many years of work. 

The popular game Fortnite will also upgrade to UE5 in 2021, but they also have a very big and highly skilled team to get the job done. 

So you statement is very false, unless it was ment to be a joke. 

It can be done, albeit at a great cost in ressources.

Will it happen for Ark? I seriously doubt it since we've been using the same UE4 version since 2015 and it's not been upgraded by WC since then. Besides, that would implies lots of changes with the core game itself. I won't even start talking about the dev kit and the impacts on the modding community.

I suspect it will be used for Ark 2, which we know is coming despite no official announcements yet.
Jess is as good at keeping secrets as Tom Holland is with MCU movies....

7 hours ago, TraXz said:

There are games that are being upgraded.... A game I used to play called APB:Reloaded is in a progress of upgrading their game engine. 
The problem with this particular game is that it has been sold to a very small company that has taken over a half-finished job, but they are getting close to a full upgrade after many years of work. 

The popular game Fortnite will also upgrade to UE5 in 2021, but they also have a very big and highly skilled team to get the job done. 

So you statement is very false, unless it was ment to be a joke. 

And Fortnight is not using heavily modified ue4 engine. And much never version than ark so its much more simple job to do that. And its still taking them year or so to update.

19 minutes ago, Sparky16 said:

I'm gonna sit here and dream for a second and say if they did upgrade then WOW! I bet the Arks would look AMAZING! If they did make the upgrade it would be a product I would 110% wait for! The demo alone just blew me away, and the first thing I thought of was "if ARK upgraded this, it would be more amazing!"

What demo?

On 5/16/2020 at 1:59 AM, Sparky16 said:

I'm gonna sit here and dream for a second and say if they did upgrade then WOW! I bet the Arks would look AMAZING! If they did make the upgrade it would be a product I would 110% wait for! The demo alone just blew me away, and the first thing I thought of was "if ARK upgraded this, it would be more amazing!"

Yeah, I can only dream how incredible a game like Ark could look in unreal 5. But I was also thinking that one more reason why it would make more sense for ARK 2 to use it rather than upgrade the current one, is the financial incentive they're providing to use it...as in not having to pay them anything till the game makes $1m 

On 5/14/2020 at 6:38 AM, HiImZech said:

unreal 5 and ark

what are the chances of a game upgrading to a new unreal engine?

from all the game dev simulation games I've played it seems you can't just swap it out like some codes but that's just game mechanics. I am hoping its actually possible in the real world

They said they'll get onto this as soon as all the bugs have been written out the game.

Not long now....

Archived