times Day & Night Times - What is the true answer?

Myrm

Day & Night Times - What is the true answer?

Hi

I just searched online for the official day and night start times and lengths in Ark.  As expected I get a variety of answers.

Some "reliably" inform us that the Ark day starts at 04:30, and the night at 21:50

A second search result gave another "reliable" answer: day starts at 05:30, and night at 17:30.

Likewise the length of a game minute is 3 seconds, night 2 seconds.  Elsewhere: night 2.5 seconds, days 3 seconds.

I also downloaded an Excel spreadsheet from the Net which calculates day and night speeds in the game for the purpose of adjusting the multiplier.  That tells me day starts at 05:15, and night at 21:50.

So what is the true answer?

I conducted an experiment of my own. I launched a single player game with default day/night settings (cycle speed/day length/night length all at x1.0), and I calculated the length of a game minute.  Counting a game minute, per minute for 5 game minutes on both night and day (then getting the average of each), I came up with this answer:

One day minute = 2.70 seconds

One night minute = 2.10 seconds

I also then sped up the night interval by a factor of x10.0 so that it was real obvious when looking at the game timer when night time started.  This is my result:

Day: starts - 0515, ends - 2025

Night: starts - 2025, ends - 0515.

So I guess this actually answers my original question of how long day and night are, and at what time they start.

My real question then is have the devs altered the speed of the default day and night, and the start of day and night several times during the game's development?  Or does the game just like to do its own thing?  Or do people just put any old answer on the net as a "reliable" answer without actually experimenting for themselves?

Many thanks for your thoughts. 

1 minute ago, Mrterry9 said:

From aberration the day night is 5:30 am and pm. It’s safe to go on the surface the correct sides of those times. And with 90% day/ night speeds those are the times when the time speed either increases or decreases. 

That certainly does not match up with my own findings. The night timing cycle starts at 20:25 and ends at 05:30. 

It’s certainly not 5:30 am to 5:30 pm. Absolutely not. 

1 minute ago, Mrterry9 said:

Go to the surface at 5 30pm and you won’t get roasted. I always start drop hunting at 6pm on abb, and I always go back at 4 am. Never been roasted. 

Ofc other map maybe different but that’s it for abb

Oh, I see what you’re saying. I’m playing on Island, so that may be why there is the disparity. 

Archived