Pillar Spammers

nairda2k9

Pillar Spammers

Why is this still a thing? These players ruin entire maps by placing pillars miles away from base, pillars should not be needed to protect spawns WC should block these areas for building.

I have reported pillar spammers and every time WC remove them but why not just work on a way to stop this ?

Pillar spammers should receive an instant 7 day ban from game and if they re offend 14 days.

Genesis is a total pillar cluster **** and WC need to go in and remove all pillars because new players coming to the map can't build anywhere.

i don't think there is any reasonable method to stop this with the current system thats in play,  the building system would need abit of a rework to make it happen.   There have been several conversations about this before, and none of them really came up with piratical solutions that wouldn't cause major issues with everything that's currently in play, and the current build system. 

Maybe if people learnt how to build, instead of giant lag boxes and actually used cryopods, (a few dinos out is ok but all of them?) 

The risk of that kind of lag inducing, ugly looking, giant box / gate building neighbour moving right next to you is too great. 

Also people kill spawns and don’t know how to protect them so everyone can benefit from the resources. 

Once everyone can build something nice and take into consideration of other players needing resources then pillar spam will end. 

Short answer... Never. 

12 hours ago, caleb68 said:

i don't think there is any reasonable method to stop this with the current system thats in play,  the building system would need abit of a rework to make it happen.   There have been several conversations about this before, and none of them really came up with piratical solutions that wouldn't cause major issues with everything that's currently in play, and the current build system. 

It would be the opposite of an open world game, but predetermined fix size lots would work.

I don't get why putting a tribe cap on how many pillars they can have hasn't been implemented. The only thing I can think of why, is a straight up cap would potentially be unfair, as some people use pillars for legit building, and would then have less for land grabs. I get that some bases need a load of pillars to make their flat build area on slopes, so if the pillars are part of a massive structure, they should count less towards the cap to make that tribe capable to claim about as much land as tribes whos base is on flat land and not stilts. So the cap could be a little flexible somehow, and they should synergize that by more clearly spelling out in the coc the amount of land tribes are supposed to be able to claim. Doing so would cost them ZERO coding time, and probably do a lot to ameliorate the situation. As it is now is very ambiguous so some people throw pillars out over larger areas than they probably should. I get the needs for pillars, protect your near by resources, protect your ability to expand. And I get that it can be way to much at times, not sure how to measure distance, but where op says "ruin entire maps by placing pillars miles away from base", I think most of us know what that means. But the person doing it, might not. The coc says: "GM intervention may be necessary if your structure or creature is negatively impacting a server (ie. you block off a large portion of the map so that other members of that server cannot access it)." <= Can anybody tell me precisely what that means? The people going through the trouble to claim that land thought it probably seemed reasonable to them at the time. But if there were a cap, or at least a clearer numeration of "large portion". Is it about half of the map? How about a 1/4 of the map? 1/8th? My guess is if you're new to a server and wanting to build in a particular zone, and you see 1/8th of the map pillared you might say it's miles and miles of pillars and the whole map is ruined. And file a complaint, but honestly my initial impressions of the coc I figured it mean about 75% of maps. But on further reflection, what is fair? It should probably be more like 5% in extremely large land grabs, so that dozens of other tribes can thrive? idk really, talk about it...

7 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

I don't get why putting a tribe cap on how many pillars they can have hasn't been implemented.

because it wouldn't work.  people would build 1 foundation box huts, if those were blocked they'd build larger ones,  different types of small taniming pens, etc. while it may seem like a practical solution it isn't.  then you also have those who legitly use pillars for building up from the ocean, or on a hillside.

10 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

It would be the opposite of an open world game, but predetermined fix size lots would work.

this woudln't work with the current system and would cause major issues with existing structures. land claim areas were discussed largely and why they wouldn't work with the current sytem, and existing long term players.

6 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

this woudln't work with the current system and would cause major issues with existing structures. land claim areas were discussed largely and why they wouldn't work with the current sytem, and existing long term players.

Not much can be done with the existing system. Which is why pillaring is still allowed.

The simplest solution is a plot pole system

2 'plot poles' per tribe, with predefined build radius and item limit, e.g: 25 tile radius, with a 500 item object limit, anything built outside of this plot pole would have a greatly increased decay timer (This system works great with the DayZ community I operate, and still allows for temporary outposts to exist)

Alternatively, a 'Rust' style tool cupboard could work great too.

In all seriousness though, people pillar to protect resources, I have pillared a small piece of forest in front and beside my base, going down to the beach (about 10 x 10 tiles), and receive daily complaints about it..

These pillars exist so I can 

1. Get in and out of my base.
  2. ensure, myself and others have access to resources like berries, thatch, wood, fiber, stone, etc, etc, and  
  3. Protect major node spawns,; currently a [][][][] tribe has built a mega-cube right on top of a large metal and crystal deposit, preventing it from spawning.
  4. Protect dino spawns. (we now only have one (and it's a rare location) functioning spino spawn left on our server)
  5. Access water for pipework, water mounts, fish and water tame storage/breeding.

If we had a plotpole system, protected resource areas and linkable water pipes we wouldn't need to do this as much.

Another possible solution is to reduce player limits by 50%, and double the server numbers, to spread out the population a bit.

Something could be said about community engagement on getting land to claim.  If there's a tribe with a huge amount of land claimed, sometimes engaging in chat in global helps you get to know the other players on the server.  Play often enough while learning the game can put you in a position to ask if anyone has some land they could spare.   

Space to built is a resource just like the stones and trees.  First come first serve is kinda how it goes on this game right now.   I would suggest, communication, community engagement on the servers you play on.  If the people on the server think you are at least serious enough to play w/out begging for dinos to get started, they might be willing to part w/ some of that precious land.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:35 PM, nairda2k9 said:

Pillar Spammers

Why is this still a thing? These players ruin entire maps by placing pillars miles away from base, pillars should not be needed to protect spawns WC should block these areas for building.

I have reported pillar spammers and every time WC remove them but why not just work on a way to stop this ?

Pillar spammers should receive an instant 7 day ban from game and if they re offend 14 days.

Genesis is a total pillar cluster **** and WC need to go in and remove all pillars because new players coming to the map can't build anywhere.

I fully agree

20 hours ago, caleb68 said:

because it wouldn't work.  people would build 1 foundation box huts, if those were blocked they'd build larger ones,  different types of small taniming pens, etc. while it may seem like a practical solution it isn't.  then you also have those who legitly use pillars for building up from the ocean, or on a hillside.

People would try to get around it if it was to restrictive. But if the cap was reasonable, and also implemented with coc guidelines, and only the really troll abusers were trying to get around it by spamming small taming pens across half the map, I believe the community would work to support the rules, not undermine them. Capping pillars which are used as a way to build up from oceans and hillsides is an issue. I tried to address that in my previous post, by saying they should count less towards the cap if they are attached to larger and larger structures. They could also just introduce a new structure specifically for land grabbing. Something that looks similar to the pillar, but isn't used for building anything, so the cap doesn't effect your ability to build.

On 5/12/2020 at 3:48 PM, Aylana314159 said:

As the current official PvE servers exist, pillaring has an important function.

THANKYOU I’m aware as a player from day one prelaunch on official pve. Reason I kept it short and sweet is because people can search the archives on hundreds of threads about pillar spamming and as maybe new players to game aren’t aware maybe and want to complain or voice an opinion , whilst fine , it’s a blight on the game when not used appropriately. Again . Pillar spamming has always and will always continue to be a part however negative of ark . Try as wc might ,to fix , or negate the problem ,it never will be solved. So move on . Why do people complain about things that will never change ? 

Archived