Finding ovis

ArkLover7891

5 minutes ago, ArkLover7891 said:

Finding ovis

Hello, I was wondering where I can find some ovis on the island.

I have found the majority of my sheep by the blue obelisk, however I must say that the best thing you can do to help yourself on this problem, is to build your own sheep farm.....just get one girl, one boy, use them to breed a herd, call it a day. 

Increase health stat for mutton, increase food stat for wool.

Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that mutton provides a easy yet fruitful amount resources for the deodons {the boars}, I would have just left them alone. So rare and hard to find. Then you have to have veggie cake with you when you do find them.....Its a pain, but because the only other food for a deodon that is any better is kibble, getting a mutton farm up and going is super usefull for boss fights.

Sure you need tributes, but mine will allways have a sheep sacrifice just before hand as well. :P

5 hours ago, ArkLover7891 said:

How many ovis would I need?

You need just a couple (for breeding), but be aware that ANY ovis that spawns in the Island get killed in minutes. All the areas that people find them are inside the spawn zones (classified as rare/uncommon in the snowy areas and some other random places in the island, meaning almost none), and they are helpless - everything will eat the fools. You can go for days and days and days (full real life days) without ever seeing a single one.

If you need and want something fast i recommend you to quick transfer to another map with some cakes and a good dino to make the process more smooth (Genesis have thousands of free high level sheep everywhere - higher base levels/HP equals more meat and hide - in the Arctic with almost no predators and several ways to transfer the bastards out - is by far the easiest way to get some). If you can't transfer you will find them eventually, but don't get your hopes high.

For maximum efficiency, you want a chainsaw to harvest the fools.

23 hours ago, ArkLover7891 said:

Ok, thanks everyone! How many of them should I get, I was thinking of getting a herd of ten, but I may need more. I will be breeding them, starting with one girl and one boy. Also, how many phiomias and dung beetles do I need?

dunno about phiomias, but I can promise you that 3 beetles is just right.....I run a base with 10-15 large crop plots and had 3 beetles at about lvl 12-25. Iv run out of room for fertilizer in all the plots and started stuffing it into the cabinets. XD Oh, and they eat meat, so get a trough nearby :)
As for the sheep, Im getting ready either for an easy monkey boss fight, or the alpha broodmother…..Due to the latter, Iv decided to build up a couple extra sheep. Im at about 10 and I feel like that is an appropriate amount of sacrificial sheep for a alpha brood mother run. My best advice, if you decide to run a deadon {boar} to heal up your bunch while fighting, figure out how much weight he can carry to the amount of mutton a single sheep can produce......using a 165% purple sword and absolutely no stat points into my melee = 80 mutton.....If you ever add stat points into the process, or even a better tool to harvest with, it will increase the yield of mutton. In fact one guy posted a video and he put all his stat points into melee and then adding a chainsaw to the mix. It yielded thousands of mutton, but then you got to worry about the mindwipe effect as well as no stat points in anything that is just as useful. Of course using a dino might be just as usefull if its melee stat is the only thing worked on....Maybe a helper sabertooth or mosschops….

22 hours ago, ArkLover7891 said:

Also, does incest play a big role in breeding ovis?

actually in all types of breeding, its best to get the highest stat points out of two dinos, and then inbreed their offspring to get both stat points where you want it, and then run that family line until you either get a mutation, or until you are ready to use those dinos for something....its weird, but effective. I got lucky and got a set of twin rexs, male and female. The stats they have are very good, and due to this, they will be my breeders for the rest of the line to produce an army of rexs either for the dragon, or the monkey. Depending on if I can manage to find a strong saddle blueprint.

Of course using a dino might be just as usefull if its melee stat is the only thing worked on....Maybe a helper sabertooth or mosschops….

I used an imprinted theri with all points in melee and power harvesting(or is it delicate? I forgot alr) to harvest the ovis corpse, i can get more than 300 raw mutton from a single ovis.

I don't see that anyone else mentioned this, which was probably because you specifically asked about the island. But there are areas of ragnarok and genesis where ovis spawn is common. If you can e.g. transfer yourself and some cake and a few pods to rag, tame some, and transfer back, that is how I got almost all of my heard on the island.

7 hours ago, ArkLover7891 said:

Hey, I found two ovis and are breeding them now. I was wondering when the best time to kill them was? Like, baby, juvenile, adolescent, or adult?

Best time is adult. Heck, throw them into the cryo pod for a few days and then slaughter them when needed. Don't jump the gun for no reason. When you are sorta getting ready to use them, throw them out, level up nothing but their health, let them heal back up, and go to town. 

Now with that said, getting wool is sometimes usefull as you will need it for fur clothing, bug dope.....and something else, but I forgot. XD So if your more worried about the amount of wool you harvest, you can set one or two of them off specifically for wool harvesting. For these guys, level up their food. More food = more wool.

4 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Best time is adult. Heck, throw them into the cryo pod for a few days and then slaughter them when needed. Don't jump the gun for no reason. When you are sorta getting ready to use them, throw them out, level up nothing but their health, let them heal back up, and go to town. 

Now with that said, getting wool is sometimes usefull as you will need it for fur clothing, bug dope.....and something else, but I forgot. XD So if your more worried about the amount of wool you harvest, you can set one or two of them off specifically for wool harvesting. For these guys, level up their food. More food = more wool.

So, I would have to raise all the babies up?

54 minutes ago, ArkLover7891 said:

So, I would have to raise all the babies up?

Its best, yes. Raise them all up. Well, as best as you can, think Iv lost a small handful of infants cause I didn't get to them fast enough to feed them, but beyond that, raise them to adults, throw them into cryo, wait till I need em, and boom. Couple dozen level ups in health and free mutton/wool.
while they are not essential, it is an extra way of collecting two fairly important, yet overlooked resources.

15 hours ago, ArkLover7891 said:

Alright, thanks, this weekend, I’m going to mass raise a bunch of ovis. ?

Best advice I got, try to have the mothers spawn the babies on a second level. This way if they fall through the floor, the second floor will catch them. Also, be damned quick about jamming that first set of berries into them....their extremely low health and food stats can cause babies to die within seconds of birth.

• 1 month later...

Archived