Keeping at it while rage screaming profanities seemed to work for me .  I must have destroyed over 100 beehives before I just got lucky and a lady bee did not hate me.  Tried all kinds of things like up close with weapons from axe to chainsaw etc.  Almost used c4 charge on a pillar like some forum suggested but never got around to that.  I'm an animal guy and c4 cost my solo lowbie self to much.  So I just kept hitting hives with all kinds of animals. 

Of course I tried bear first but it always kills the lady bee.  If I slowed down and waiting between hits might work with bear but I get bored and space off while breaking the multiple hives.  Tried dimorphodons.  Again got bored spaced off and they would kill the queen before I thought to call them back.  Dims take to long to destroy hive and I'm to sleepy to keep alert.

I ended up using argies cause that is what I have usually.  Whistle at the hive(s) with a group of argies from a distance and keep clicking attack then passive then attack then passive back and forth.  Watch for lady queeny to pop out.  When she does and if argies don't kill her get argies whistled back to you quick.  Wearing ghillie armor spray yourself with bug-be-gone and follow the lady about (have a guess she will not feed from you if you are not covered in spray but don't know for certain).  She'll hate on you pooping bees out her butt to sting you but ignore them and run up to her and click her with food of choice equipped far right.  If she is a glitched bee she will not have the passive click to feed.  If she is not glitched quickly feed before her minions strip you naked.  You can use flowers but don't.  She needs to be a fast tame.  So kibble it.  She goes all over hill and dale leading you into lakes and off cliffs and into angry enemies while pooping minions of contempt at you.

Anything more just watch a youtube vid get an idea what's up.

My way was chomping it with a good damage rex (not necessary, I just do EVERYTHING with my rex, plus it only takes two bites), then just following the queen with my rex on follow/passive (to prevent him from eating the queen because it was the third one that day and I already ran out of spray, dodo eggs (for healing) and durability of my ghillie, so it was the last attempt before it's back to the base for me), until I got close enough to feed it. Using kibble is the key, as with meat/flowers taming would be too slow, and the queen would have time to get away from you and lose taming progress.

Thank you guys, basically we've tried a lot of methods from getting up close and personal with pikes, hatchets, guns, axes, and we've tried wyverns & crossbows. Keep hitting the hive, but it never destroys using weapons, waves of bees come, we kill them and then it's on repeat from there. Queen never comes out and the hive never destroys (ran out of ammo a few times before the hive could destroy). Using the wyv it destroys the hive but no bees come out. We've got the ghillie suits, the bug spray, rare flower and kibble we just need the Queen to make an appearance lol.

The hives in the redwoods are sometimes buggy.  Often, dead hives wont despawn but new ones will appear 'on top' of the old ones.   Also, their 5000/5000 hp will sometimes regenerate (reset) if you attack them and are not on the same horizontal.  

Shield, (what Fukushu said) Ghillie, Bug Repellent and research are your best tools.  The Giant Bee Honey is the bottleneck to making the single most important item in defeating the second hardest boss in the game.  Sweet Veggie Cakes for Dragon fight.  Possibly the best PVE consumable available.  It's gonna require some work, especially on single player.

20 hours ago, CrystalSpace said:

Beehives

Trying to obtain beehives, what's the best way to destroy the hive and tame the queen?

You can shoot it, hit it with a dino, or c4 it.

I got ours using an argy. First gear up in ghille, bang some bug dope, then fly up to the hive slowly and try get towards the top of the hive, this is where the bee's will spawn. Then start attacking non stop in order to kill both the hive and the bee's that spawn repeatedly before they can begin an attack after spawning. Be careful not to  kill the queen tho. 
Once on the ground, you gotta be mindful of your surroundings, but you gonna have to wait for the bee to get close enough to the ground to start passively tameing. It takes rare flowers, you can find em easy in the swamp around the cat tails. 
Couple feed then waits, and boom free bee. Pick it up, and it instantly gives you a hive that must be placed on the ground. Put some rare flowers in it, like you would put gas the fabricator, and it will start producing honey.

Keep in mind, it must be on the ground. Your not allowed to put it on any structures, so plan your base accordingly. Also, you will need bug dope to collect the honey. Otherwise you will acquire damage from being stung anytime you access its inventory. 

14 hours ago, Castlerock said:
On 5/9/2020 at 8:15 PM, wizard03 said:
Have tried, can confirm, you will die.

Using full ghillie only gives the initial dmg but not the DoT. Still, even if die should be in base so can just respawn and pick up the honey from the corpse.

Yeah, I did that.....Iv died so many times, I finally got tired of it and cooked up the bug dope, I can do it nude now. XD

Archived