Unravelling the Mysteries of the ARK: The Rockwell Recipes!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Survivors!

large.Explorer_Note_-_Rockwell.jpg

Earlier in the year we revealed one of the first of many Explorer Notes that exists on the ARK. The Explorer Note System will allow survivors to discover the stories of actual inhabitants that have lived on the isle, and learn what their fates are, over time. By studying their notes, going through their experiences, and revealing the secrets they have discovered, you will be able to get closer to the heart of the mysteries surrounding the ARK!

And as a reminder, in other-news..

We’re just a few days away from PAX! We’ll be stomping our way into the convention with a T-Rex by our side, literally. It’ll be the biggest booth we've ever done and you’ll be able to witness our favourite apex-predator in flesh this weekend! From Friday the 22nd to Sunday the 24th.

We’ll be running Survival of the Fittest tournaments, as well as give you a chance to meet up with some of your favourite Twitch personalities and collect ARK Goodies! Not to mention, the chance to meet and mount the biggest Dinosaur you’ll have ever seen for a one-of-a-kind photo op!

large.unnamed.jpg

Here’s a rundown of what you’ll be able to do:

* Test your skills in the first live battles of the new Hunger Games-style M.O.S.A. (Multiplayer Online Survival Arena); Limited spots, 20 players can compete each hour. Winners receive limited edition Dino Statue Prizes!
* Watch all of the live broadcasted tournament action at our ARK main stage, co-hosted by Studio Wildcard developers
* Take a picture riding on our 16-foot tall T-Rex!
* Grab a collectible dino pin -- six pins in all!
* Say hi to the Studio Wildcard community team
* Watch out for ‘Special Announcements’ during the show!

We will be doing our best to include the entire community by streaming it all over on our Twitch channel. Be sure to stay tuned to our Twitter account for all of the latest updates on PAX related shenanigans! 

Hope to see you guys there!

All the best,

Wildcard Jat & The ARK Team!

View full article

In the note it references an English botanist named John Parkinson!

A simple google and we have:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Parkinson_(botanist)

It also references the Theatrum Botanicum, which John created in 1640. However he died in 1650. We can therefore reason that this "Rockwell" is from somewhere between 1640 and 1650!

Very interesting! :) 

I need the 16 foot tall T-Rex. He can go in my front yard, and i will sit on him every day. lol Or at least a small scale 3D model that could fit on a desk or shelf. Back to the subject on hand the explorer notes will give the game a lot more depth and intrigue. I'm very interested in finding some for myself and seeing what goodies they unlock.

4 hours ago, LordVargar said:

Again Jat you all have given us a Yummy taste of the possible reasons for being in the Ark. this one has me leaning to the we are a science experiment for a evil Alien Race. But what ever the reason for so many Diverse people on the Ark I know when the full release is ready it will be the Game of the year! :) 

No need for it to be an evil race. I always took "Ark" to be leaning more towards 'Ark of the Covenant' or 'Noah's Ark,' a sort of salvation for those species worthy.

Aliens or future humans, if they were really evil we wouldn't get supply drops...

"By a colony of locals..."  Hmmmmmm, very interesting.  Could this mean some sort of NPCs, or could these locals be an extinct and ancient race of people who built all of the upcoming ruins and statues, and most importantly, what happened to them?  Were the creatures on the island just too much for them, or did something more sinister happen, something can could change the Ark.... forever.  Man, I am looking forward to the lore of this game!

5 hours ago, Mac_intosh1172 said:

"By a colony of locals..."  Hmmmmmm, very interesting.  Could this mean some sort of NPCs, or could these locals be an extinct and ancient race of people who built all of the upcoming ruins and statues, and most importantly, what happened to them?  Were the creatures on the island just too much for them, or did something more sinister happen, something can could change the Ark.... forever.  Man, I am looking forward to the lore of this game!

I assume it's more likely to have been other survivors who, realising this guy was smart, decided he was worth having as a part of their community. So, as an in game mechanic it would simply be a tribe of players of which he was a member.

Could be wrong though.

19 hours ago, CenterMasstake said:

No need for it to be an evil race. I always took "Ark" to be leaning more towards 'Ark of the Covenant' or 'Noah's Ark,' a sort of salvation for those species worthy.

Aliens or future humans, if they were really evil we wouldn't get supply drops...

This is a great point you make Centermasstake and i thank you for pointing it out. I actually never thought of the idea it could be future humans studying their ancestors and now i wonder where the supply drop come in. Hopefully there will be a survivor Dossier about the drops. nice to be a part of such a great community that can be helpful! :) 

It's one of two things:

1. The ARK has been running for a long time
  2. The ARK can pull people through time

Why do I say this? From ARK Digest 25:

Survivor, OnePotatoChip also asks, “Ready to reveal any more information about Ark #2, yet? Or how about some lore for us to chew on?”

There are key Survivors on the ARK whose notes you’ll be finding through deep exploration. Dossier Dude (not his real name) is one. Recipe Gal (not her real name) is another. The others include a Three Kingdoms Era Monk and a Roman Centurion. Their writings, across time and languages, help lead to unlocking the mystery of exactly what the ARK is.

There are already references to multiple different historical periods, so I'm really curious as to how this part of the background plays out.

5 hours ago, davidturner said:

It's one of two things:

1. The ARK has been running for a long time
  2. The ARK can pull people through time

Why do I say this? From ARK Digest 25:

There are already references to multiple different historical periods, so I'm really curious as to how this part of the background plays out.

You're absolutely right. So take my Noah's ark idea. Would you not only grab the best of the best? Someone with exceptional skills, in one direction or another, who could leave your ark better than it was when they got there?

Perhaps further, the ark is for a restarting of man kind, re-evolution if you will. The species of different times have been dropped together into the ark, and all the ark is would be a sort of petri dish. All the people from different times that are constantly referenced are just different cultures added for the sake of continued evolution.