The state of beginner servers.

Philix

The state of beginner servers.

TLDR:

The beginner servers should have player admins it's crazy how many people are using esp/aim-bot on beginner servers and that's not what you want new players to see when they first join the game.

The server needs to be wiped more often, for example, the first of each month this way there's no confusion about when it will be you can put it in the MOTD to let people know rather than a confusing schedule that as far am I'm aware only exists in forum posts.

Any changes such as the players' level cap or changes to engrams and loot need to be done on a wipe as the current status is that a few players have a game-breaking advantage over others and will do until the next wipe.

--- More info ---

I managed to get five friends to play ark, as they were new we jumped on the beginner server so I could teach them how to play...

...and that's where it all went wrong...

So server one;

Met on the beach with people aim botting pistols I've seen a lot of this on small tribes but I'm honestly amazed people are doing this on beginner servers. 
Before the die-hard ARK fans jump in with the how do you know its aimbot you can hear it they shoot every round of the gun in one burst and they hit every shot in the same place I assure you at just over 5000' hours in I know the difference.

It is to be fair a pretty safe place to cheat I doubt any new player is going bothered making a report and if they did what would it say? "I joined beginner and a player called □□□□ shot at me really fast"?

Managed to get everyone far enough off the beach to start playing not even half-hour in raided by a guy with a Giga and four Rex's thought fair play its what the games all about so we scouted around and found his base.

His base is full metal covered in plant x, here's the problem the level cap is 24. 

So how does he get the following:

Metal Foundation
Metal Wall
Metal Door Frame
Metal Door
Metal Window Frame
Metal Window
Metal Pillar
Pteranodon Saddle...
Grenades...

See they haven't learned them via engrams because the level cap of 24 won't allow for that, and the first supply crate that drops metal structure blueprints is blue and that's level 25 so he can't open it. 

It's not from fishing either as fishing loot appears to be disabled on beginner servers. So this tribe has technology that nobody else can obtain?

So onto server two;

Same again met up with the alpha tribe who roam around with a bionic Giga they have a grenade blueprint so they are the only tribe on the server who can effectively raid and so they roam around killing everyone knowing they can do nothing back. (yes I know they could spend literally a whole day tanking all the hundreds of plant x and then march an Arthropleura in there to work on the metal) but let's be realistic nobody is going to do 20+ hour raid on a beginner server.

So last I heard there was going to be changes made to beginner servers to make them more beginner-friendly it was so encouraging to hear that the servers would receive a regular wipe as this would help move the toxic people on and give people a chance to actually learn vs other beginners rather than people like me who are on 5000' + hours.

...what went wrong...

Beginner servers are now lorded over by toxic people who have access to blueprints nobody else can get making them even more powerful. 

They are now worse than they used to be?!

If this level 24 cap was a recent addition why did you not wipe the server to make it fair on everyone? or wait until the next wipe and apply it then?

Four of the five people I got to come and play with me took a refund from steam. The other guy is almost on two hours and won't log in now because if he goes over two steam won't refund him and he's not sure if he wants to play and I don't blame him his beginner experience was terrible.

Interested in other people's experiences.

Philix

• 1 month later...

Hey there.

Glad I found this post!

I just recently bought the game and started on a pvp beginner server..

I like the pvp aspect but I am a noob so I thought I can learn some basics and enjoy some pvp on that server.

So far I havent met any player above lvl24 but I have seen full metal bases!

Also one metal base was already raided..

I am a bit concerned since the levelcap of 24 was introduced before the server wipe on june 16th and somehow people got access to stuff they shouldn't.

I used to be alpha on a beginner server prior to change in rulesets. A few things to keep in mind :

- Level cap at 24 is a bug as stated by a moderator in another thread. It's supposed to be 44.
- Metal structures are acquired via supply drops. FYI, some caves crates dosen't have the same lvl requirements.
- Argent/Rex/Giga and modern tech is acquired via fishing. Yes it works and it's how I got all my modern tech while the rest were parked at stone age.

As for square tribes, gotta deal with it as on regular servers, screenshots + video evidance & reports. Problem is they exploit and hack the hell out of it to win. We wiped one 5-6 times and they still got us by meshing our base... I mean, we had a full metal base, double-walled on top of blue ob with several hundred x-plants and rexes/gigas guard dogs on dino-leash....

Started on a beginner server do not recommend it.  I wish WC would get rid of them.  Add more Ragnarok servers in their stead.  They are hello seriously harder than non-beginner servers but lure naive newbies who think they'll get an advantage with a tutorial or something beginner related. 

THERE IS NOTHING HELPFUL TO A BEGINNER ON A BEGINNER SERVER ONLY A HARDER VERSION OF ARK

Very misleading to newbies.  The level cap means you are always struggling.  The mega tribes are bad.  They group together to get the rare Blue Prints / Fishing Pole on the bottom of the ocean.  That is why you see craftables over level 44.  If you can get the rare fishing pole you are a god on a beg server.

General advice to new players.  Get away from TheIsland Map (base game map) and try TheCenter or Valguero.  Stay away from Ragnarok on official.  If you get on a map that pauses for more than a minute or rubberbands a lot you are on a broken map.  FIND ANOTHER MAP until you get one that does not rubberband you.

If you want Unofficial instead of Official (PvE) - FoG ran a good cluster last time I tried.  Their modsTheir servers.

Archived