Scorched Earth Review

Scribelord

Scorched Earth Review

Scorched earth was a great expansion pack for it's time however new people are introduced to ark all the time and times have changed so is it still worth your money?

1. Items - the items introduced into scorched earth are numerous for example the Adobe building tools are a very nice addition however everything within this topic can be used within Ragnarok making the expansion pack falter in this category.

2. Creatures - This expansion pack does have quite nice creatures ranging from the jerboa to the 3 Wyverns and they are nice additions into the game however that being said this topic does not hold up due to ragnarok.

Ragnarok when on release took many of the creatures including the manticore and the only exception is the Phoenix, the Phoenix is a very nice creature as it looks decent and has pretty useful mechanics and abilities however it's extremely rare and it's not enough to hold up this category similarly to the equipment and even it could use some touching up on.

3. Music - this is actually one of the high points for the expansion pack as the music is very nice and fitting, the music helps better immerse the feel of the expansion and doesn't take away too much.

4. Map - the map is the only thing that's truly been left alone and in this aspect is probably its highest point as the map does have very nice looking caves and locations for example the world scar and the manticore city are probably the maps most notable areas however at the end of the day you are just in one big desert and it can start to feel the same as time goes on as there isn't too much variety in the biomes.

5. Story - the story while often sidelined specifically with scorched does have significance as it shows what happens when people aren't doing what the ark is intended for and just goes genocidal by creating the wyverns and mantis to push the humans to the brink.

However this is another thing that hurts scorched earth as it lacks a proper ending and not showing our transition between scorched earth to aberration which is a massive slide against the expansion pack.

6. Ways to Improve - they need to do a complete overhaul of scorched instead of focusing on mod maps they should focus on fixing scorched earth in a remake of sorts, I've discussed this before and will leave a link to the discussion in the comments below on my own take for what they could do.

Overall Score - this expansion pack was a fantastic product for it's time however as it stands now it had aged horribly due to the lack of care for the map from the devs.

There is barely anything unique that it has to offer other than some nice music, a unique map and 1 creature and it does not help that wildcard flat out REFUSE to go back and support the expansion pack by adding new creatures, items, and areas.

It also shows the lack of care from the devs as they knew ragnarok had all the expansion creatures and items in it yet they still let ragnarok kill scorched earth, this topped off with the fact they refuse to fix a product that is clearly incomplete to everyone but them as shown with ragnarok and as shown with the lack of a true ending.

Final Rating - 1/5 avoid at all cost

it is definitely not worth your money as it has very little to offer and I'd suggest staying away from this at all costs and I'd literally recommend any of the other expansion packs over this INCOMPLETE train wreck.

I promise the other reviews will be more positive than this and it can only go up from here as this is easily the worst expansion pack they've ever released if you can even call it a expansion pack anymore.

18 hours ago, Scribelord said:

1. Items - the items introduced into scorched earth are numerous for example the Adobe building tools are a very nice addition however everything within this topic can be used within Ragnarok making the expansion pack falter in this category.

2. Creatures - This expansion pack does have quite nice creatures ranging from the jerboa to the 3 Wyverns and they are nice additions into the game however that being said this topic does not hold up due to ragnarok.

3. Music - this is actually one of the high points for the expansion pack as the music is very nice and fitting, the music helps better immerse the feel of the expansion and doesn't take away too much.

4. Map - the map is the only thing that's truly been left alone and in this aspect is probably its highest point as the map does have very nice looking caves and locations for example the world scar and the manticore city are probably the maps most notable areas however at the end of the day you are just in one big desert and it can start to feel the same as time goes on as there isn't too much variety in the biomes.

5. Story - the story while often sidelined specifically with scorched does have significance as it shows what happens when people aren't doing what the ark is intended for and just goes genocidal by creating the wyverns and mantis to push the humans to the brink.

However this is another thing that hurts scorched earth as it lacks a proper ending and not showing our transition between scorched earth to aberration which is a massive slide against the expansion pack.

Final Rating - 1/5 avoid at all cost

Bro, I'm sorry to say, but you have no idea how to make a review.

I marked quotes, where you are positive about this map and also these parts, where you dislike it.

So you say that new items are very nice, creatures are various and unique, music is great and map has many awesome looking places. However, it is kinda dull and boring because of only one biome existing. And the story lacks a proper ending.

Tons of pros with a few cons. Score: 1/5, avoid at all cost. Really? Like... really?

People who play ARK for a long time already visited Scorched Earth and were excited during their first days on the desert. And people who just start their adventure with ARK will be satisfied with Scorched Earth, because it's something unique to The Island.

Scorched is quite small map, that's the fact, but as long as you explore it without using fun-ruining flyers, it suddenly becomes huge and dangerous. There's no point in comparing SE to Ragnarok, because Ragna's desert is huge, empty and boring (I'm still disappointed that they wasted 1/4 of a map). SE is different. Better. Worth its price then, when I first bought it, and now, when a newbie thinks about purchasing it.

6 hours ago, Dzieciak said:

Bro, I'm sorry to say, but you have no idea how to make a review.

I marked quotes, where you are positive about this map and also these parts, where you dislike it.

So you say that new items are very nice, creatures are various and unique, music is great and map has many awesome looking places. However, it is kinda dull and boring because of only one biome existing. And the story lacks a proper ending.

Tons of pros with a few cons. Score: 1/5, avoid at all cost. Really? Like... really?

People who play ARK for a long time already visited Scorched Earth and were excited during their first days on the desert. And people who just start their adventure with ARK will be satisfied with Scorched Earth, because it's something unique to The Island.

Scorched is quite small map, that's the fact, but as long as you explore it without using fun-ruining flyers, it suddenly becomes huge and dangerous. There's no point in comparing SE to Ragnarok, because Ragna's desert is huge, empty and boring (I'm still disappointed that they wasted 1/4 of a map). SE is different. Better. Worth its price then, when I first bought it, and now, when a newbie thinks about purchasing it.

It does have nice stuff but I'm not going to mislead people into buying it when you can literally get EVERYTHING for free in the base game

Also I never brought up ragnaroks desert so don't try throwing that in there, this was about what SCORCHED EARTH has to offer and it has very little, I referenced ragnarok because of all the things it took from scorched however never once did I talk about ragnaroks desert

So yea no matter how nice everything turned out to be it's a 1/5

5 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

I thought the exact same. It sounded overall more positive than anything else.

Once again It has nice stuff however what's the point when you can literally get everything for free

It's a 1/5 because at best it would average to a $5 "expansion" since all it adds is a new map so no matter how nice it is it's at the end of the day useless.

Scorched earth could be alot more if the devs actually did something about it like everyone wants them to but the devs raptored it up and the only thing it has going for it is the map and Phoenix which definitely aren't worth the current price tag

15 hours ago, Scribelord said:

Also I never brought up ragnaroks desert so don't try throwing that in there, this was about what SCORCHED EARTH has to offer and it has very little, I referenced ragnarok because of all the things it took from scorched however never once did I talk about ragnaroks desert

So how can you compare a whole Ragnarok map to Scorched Earth (released before Ragnarok)?

You could also make a review comparing Ragnarok to Aberration and say that Aberration is meh, because Ragnarok is bigger and has more to offer and Aberration is boring and dull (underground biome all the time). It was obvious for me to compare only Rag's desert to SE, which is... a desert. Compare two cars, not a car with a plane.

Whatever, that was no the point of my answer. As Invincibleqc confirmed, score of 1/5 when you said about many pros and only a few cons is a misunderstanding of the main point of a review. I'd nod to 3.5/5 for example - lots of cool stuff, but a little bit monotonous. But "avoid at all cost" and "incomplete train wreck definitely not worth the money" after you said so many bright sides of this DLC... Come on.

8 hours ago, Dzieciak said:

So how can you compare a whole Ragnarok map to Scorched Earth (released before Ragnarok)?

You could also make a review comparing Ragnarok to Aberration and say that Aberration is meh, because Ragnarok is bigger and has more to offer and Aberration is boring and dull (underground biome all the time). It was obvious for me to compare only Rag's desert to SE, which is... a desert. Compare two cars, not a car with a plane.

Whatever, that was no the point of my answer. As Invincibleqc confirmed, score of 1/5 when you said about many pros and only a few cons is a misunderstanding of the main point of a review. I'd nod to 3.5/5 for example - lots of cool stuff, but a little bit monotonous. But "avoid at all cost" and "incomplete train wreck definitely not worth the money" after you said so many bright sides of this DLC... Come on.

I never said the map I said the creatures.

I never talked about the desert area of ragnarok because this isn't a review about ragnarok however I'm going to bring up the fact that it stole alot of things from scorched and as such scorched is worse off in it's current state

For example Godzilla's revenge is a god awful movie because it has a load of stock footage but I'm not going to go off making a mini review about son of Godzilla just because it's used in stock footage

Its unavoidable to not talk about something like that because in general it will bring down the score, I will be honest I was tethering between a 1/5 and a 2/5 but it definitely is not higher than that

Let me tell you how your review (and your ridiculous final score) looks like. I'll make an example with automotive industry.

So today I'm gonna make a review of Lamborghini Aventador.

Engine: It has a massive, 6.5-liter powerplant. V12 produces 700 horsepower, which is an enormous value for a car. However, the newest Scania truck generates 730 HP from even bigger engine, so Lambo is not the best in this matter. (Well, Ragnarok has the desert too, right? Comparing two completely different instances = two totally different maps.)

Sound: Heck yeah, one of the best engine-music! Twelve cylinders play a beautiful sonata. But again, it is sometimes too loud, there are many more quiet cars nowadays. (Lots of pros, a few cons.)

Space: Two comfortable seats are all you can need in such a sportscar, especially when there's a huge V12 behind your neck. Well, it could be better - aforementioned Scania has even a bed inside! (Again, pointless comparison to newer and different Ragnarok.)

Performance: Aventador is quick. Veeeery fast. And agile. You'll enjoy it A LOT! But its suspension is kinda hard, if you plan to make a daily ride to a supermarket. Watch out for some speed humps!

Ways to improve: You know, Lambo has a price tag of 400.000 EUR and for that money they could improve its fuel consumption. Definitely they should think of a remake. (Pointless idea of facelifting a car, which production has ended 3 years ago.)

Final score: 1/5, avoid at all cost. Right, it's fast and pretty, but there are better vehicles in overall. It's not worth even 400 EUR, not to say 400 thousands for such loud, thriftless train wreck. (Final score totally from the outer space, not matching the whole review.)

I don't know if you'll get the point, but... nevermind.

Archived