Singleplayer cluster?

LilPrepBoy

Singleplayer cluster?

So i want to play singleplayer but in a cluster with TI, SE, abberation, exctintion, and ragnorok. would that be possible? preferably i would want to bring all my items with me between maps if possible so i dont have to pretty much play all the way through each map. Also how would i transfer dinos and my character between the maps?

You don't need a cluster for single player unless you're playing on your own server. You can transfer freely between maps on SP almost the same way you do on online servers. Upload your stuff at an obelisk/transmitter, then upload your character, go to the map you want, download your character, retrieve your items/dinos/whatever. The only major difference is on SP you can't upload/download at supply beacons like you can on a server.

1 hour ago, Cymas said:

You don't need a cluster for single player unless you're playing on your own server. You can transfer freely between maps on SP almost the same way you do on online servers. Upload your stuff at an obelisk/transmitter, then upload your character, go to the map you want, download your character, retrieve your items/dinos/whatever. The only major difference is on SP you can't upload/download at supply beacons like you can on a server.

thanks, that was super helpful. do you think i should probably live near an obilisk because that would kinda be a pain to go far to an obelisk to go to a different map

If you have a spare PC or the one you play on is beefy enough then it's better to run it as a dedicated server and setting up a cluster is fairly easy, I had a 7 map cluster which ran fairly well on the same PC I play on, used to have 2 or 3 maps running at once and had no problems until Genesis released, something has changed since then but cpu usage has gone through the roof for me and it's pretty unplayable with 2 maps running so it's on hold until I can build a new gaming rig

Single player has too many issues for me with creature & resource spawns plus the fact I like to jump around quite a lot makes Aberration a no go as you're stuck there until you can access the surface safely plus in single player you have to upload everything and transfer naked which can be a pain when there's reapers spawning around you 

If you have the hardware to do then at least give it a try and see how it runs, if it runs well then you can transfer your SP saves over and continue on there, the main difference for me (apart from the spawning issues) is that transferring is a lot easier on a cluster, no need to upload all your gear so you can have a cryo podded dino equipped then as soon as you spawn in you can throw it out and you're good to go, no running naked across the map trying to get to an obelisk for all your gear

9 hours ago, Cymas said:

Up to you. Once you unlock Tek stuff you can just use a transmitter. It's not a big deal on smaller maps like The Island but on a big one like Rag it would get annoying fast if you were transferring a lot.

I can 2nd this. It is a NIGHTMARE carting the Ore from the Ob to the base for smelting. We set up a base near the Blue Ob on the Island and leave an Anky there. Farm it for metal, chuck metal in Ob and take it out on which ever map we need it. But Rag is a chore.

1 hour ago, RageQuitter said:

If you have a spare PC or the one you play on is beefy enough then it's better to run it as a dedicated server and setting up a cluster is fairly easy, I had a 7 map cluster which ran fairly well on the same PC I play on, used to have 2 or 3 maps running at once and had no problems until Genesis released, something has changed since then but cpu usage has gone through the roof for me and it's pretty unplayable with 2 maps running so it's on hold until I can build a new gaming rig

Single player has too many issues for me with creature & resource spawns plus the fact I like to jump around quite a lot makes Aberration a no go as you're stuck there until you can access the surface safely plus in single player you have to upload everything and transfer naked which can be a pain when there's reapers spawning around you 

If you have the hardware to do then at least give it a try and see how it runs, if it runs well then you can transfer your SP saves over and continue on there, the main difference for me (apart from the spawning issues) is that transferring is a lot easier on a cluster, no need to upload all your gear so you can have a cryo podded dino equipped then as soon as you spawn in you can throw it out and you're good to go, no running naked across the map trying to get to an obelisk for all your gear

if you want to stay 'official like' play you can always run private non-dedicated servers as well and hop between maps the same way as single player, still no worries about stuff decaying and dying when doing that, with running clusters, you have to worry about your stuff decaying and dying because you haven't played on one of the maps often enough,  I mean sure its great if your going to constantly map hop but if your going from one map to the next and plan on spending time there,  single player / non-dedicated is really the best choice for learning the game.

1 hour ago, Monde said:

I can 2nd this. It is a NIGHTMARE carting the Ore from the Ob to the base for smelting. We set up a base near the Blue Ob on the Island and leave an Anky there. Farm it for metal, chuck metal in Ob and take it out on which ever map we need it. But Rag is a chore.

best to smelt it before transferring, 2 stacks of metal = 1 stack of ingots, unless you specifically need metal, and not much calls for that in ark.

20 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

best to smelt it before transferring, 2 stacks of metal = 1 stack of ingots, unless you specifically need metal, and not much calls for that in ark.

More we built away not to block the spawn and it takes less time on the other servers (Ext, Val) to grab the metal than to run back to the base each time on the Anky when he is full. I have been toying with the idea of creating a Pillar and Ceiling base there but still testing if the ceilings block the spawn. You can get 15 - 20k in metal from the Blue drop.

Yeah i think im going to go with SP, I DEFINITLEY dont have the hardware to run dedi, and i plan on spending a decent amount of time on each map at a time. As for getting to the ob, ill probably just let myselft use the fly command to get gear at the ob. Ill also just get a spare set of gear on each map to help me get to the ob. As of right now, ive only played on the island, and i mainly want to do a cluster bc some dinos (that i have seen on youtube) seem like they would be very fun to use on a map that you cant really get them on (like using a pheonix on rag)

1 hour ago, caleb68 said:

if you want to stay 'official like' play you can always run private non-dedicated servers as well and hop between maps the same way as single player, still no worries about stuff decaying and dying when doing that, with running clusters, you have to worry about your stuff decaying and dying because you haven't played on one of the maps often enough,  I mean sure its great if your going to constantly map hop but if your going from one map to the next and plan on spending time there,  single player / non-dedicated is really the best choice for learning the game.

I have over 9k hours on PC plus over 1k on PS4 so no need to learn anything ?

I'm done with official as it's a mess and can't find any decent unofficials that suit my needs so have had my own private cluster running for a while, worked well until the Genesis update but the problems are more to do with my hardware as I've not upgraded anything for a while

Non dedicated is a non starter, still has the same issues with respawns as single player, dedicated is the best way to play and if the hardware is good enough putting the maps into a cluster is even better, you're in full control so can disable things like decay, shut the servers down when you're not playing, only run the maps you need for that session etc, the only difference with running a single map at a time is having to transfer naked so you end up building close to obelisks or praying that a beacon comes down so you can get any items/dinos out

2 hours ago, RageQuitter said:

Non dedicated is a non starter, still has the same issues with respawns as single player, dedicated is the best way to play and if the hardware is good enough putting the maps into a cluster is even better, you're in full control so can disable things like decay, shut the servers down when you're not playing, only run the maps you need for that session etc, the only difference with running a single map at a time is having to transfer naked so you end up building close to obelisks or praying that a beacon comes down so you can get any items/dinos out

you can control all the settings for single/non-dedicated as well, some ingame, some in config files.   Can't say I've ever had the respawn issue as of late playing in non-dedicated, but im usually only going into it to test builds with official settings, so I know if it works there i'll be able to build it on official.   

Archived