Ramshackle pick vs anky

I would say an anky is more versatile.....even if you do a mind wipe tonic, put all points into melee, and get the best metal pick possible, you still got to carry it back to base AND you will need to repair the pick everytime it breaks.....An anky never needs repaired, and it cuts the weight of the metal in half. Meaning more metal in a single haul.

6 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

I think the one thing I can think of that a primitive pick wins on is element ore on aberration. though an anky might do better there also, but i know a primitive pick wins over a 298 damage one.

Are you sure? I feel like I get the same/litle more with 298% dmg pick than 100% dmg pick, and clear the node a lot faster(less swings)

2 hours ago, Oli4 said:

Are you sure? I feel like I get the same/litle more with 298% dmg pick than 100% dmg pick, and clear the node a lot faster(less swings)

Not sure if it's correct, but I think I know the argument is. So think of metal nodes as having health and you are attacking them, and get metal based on the damage you do. The hp of the metal node goes down with each swing, but if you hit it with a primitive pick you are less likely to kill the metal node for any given swing. Since the amount of metal given to you isn't dependent on the remaining hp of the node you can possibly get more metal if you bring the node as near as possible to death, then the final swing gives you metal as if the node had all that extra hp.

5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I would say an anky is more versatile.....even if you do a mind wipe tonic, put all points into melee, and get the best metal pick possible, you still got to carry it back to base AND you will need to repair the pick everytime it breaks.....An anky never needs repaired, and it cuts the weight of the metal in half. Meaning more metal in a single haul.

So I should be pumping melee into the anky because more melee means more metal?

9 hours ago, AirplaneSlider said:

Yes.  It does increase what you get if you pump melee. The rewards for this have been muted by the developers but there is still a gain by pumping melee over 1k so far as my testing has shown. If you farm metal as a duo, kark rider can toss the Anky and rider to the metal so weight is not needed.  Pure melee is best for farming metal as a duo,  solo farming you should switch to a magma,  but as a duo anky and kark will still be king.

5 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

Yes.  It does increase what you get if you pump melee. The rewards for this have been muted by the developers but there is still a gain by pumping melee over 1k so far as my testing has shown. If you farm metal as a duo, kark rider can toss the Anky and rider to the metal so weight is not needed.  Pure melee is best for farming metal as a duo,  solo farming you should switch to a magma,  but as a duo anky and kark will still be king.

Depending on metal node you are mining ankylos have same thing as with picks. You get more with less melee. Especially on those bright yellow rich nodes. In my tests you get more metal out of it if it takes 2 swings to smash than one hitting it. On normal metal nodes you gain tiny bit more from every increase of melee after certain point. So there is dimishing returns on metal nodes.

From what I've done on aberration, i've found that the benifits go up in a step ladder fashion.  There are some of those steps that angle downwards so there is points where u spend a point and get less, but if u go a few points above that, you'll find it goes up.   So maybe 4 points u see almost no change but then u add the 5th and there is a sudden little bump up.

1 hour ago, Luewen said:

Depending on metal node you are mining ankylos have same thing as with picks. You get more with less melee. Especially on those bright yellow rich nodes. In my tests you get more metal out of it if it takes 2 swings to smash than one hitting it. On normal metal nodes you gain tiny bit more from every increase of melee after certain point. So there is dimishing returns on metal nodes.

On aberration, I find the benefits are not on every point spent.  It goes up on a graph like steps,  some points spent do nothing or even worse you get less, but then a couple points later you see a bump up, then a few points spent nothing , then a bump up....

I took averages of 100 swings at each point spent on top of an imprinted ab anky on 2x.  I even did a test run at various stages on 1x to see if it averaged out occasionally and each time I got results that were predictable. I haven't tested above 1200 yet, but I run ones w/ over 1400% and i get more w/ those than i do w/ one at 700%.

Certain nodes like the element ore gives you quite a few different materials, I think* that reduces how much you can get on any one of those materials,  that's why it works better to take more swings at an element ore node as you just get more chances to get some. I found a good 20% more ore w/ just a primative pick over one i had over 200% damage.  I'd see much more ore if i got it from the higher damage pick, but i got less overall because quite a few nodes just dropped no ore.

For the OP , hand tools will always pale in comparison to animals except a few tiny exceptions.  High damage picks in the hands of a mantis is how we farm element on extinction.   Doeds, ankys are the main tools, but they all have their strong suits and it isn't always consistent which is used when.  like on aberration, doeds are fine for green and blue gems, but you have to use an anky for the red ones or a pick., maybe the new mining drill would be usefull i dunno.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:17 AM, AirplaneSlider said:

yep! I think my first anky was a lvl 6 or something, very pitiful melee stat. Almost got the same amount of metal that my metal pick did. After 20 lvl's, and all the points in melee, I was getting 3-4 times as much.
In fact, this is true for all tames.....if you got a theiz for wood, more melee damage = more wood
Bronto for berries, more melee = more berries.
Mosschops for organic polymer, more melee = more organic polymer.

With that said, some tames have a special harvesting stat that can also be added AFTER the normal stat. Mosschops and theiz is prime examples. These additional points can be put into specific areas to help with certain harvesting. The mosschops literally has an additional bonus specifically for organic polymer. However the theiz doesn't have specific areas to improve on, just general areas of improvement. Gentle harvesting and power harvesting.

So build your tame accordingly

22 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

On aberration, I find the benefits are not on every point spent.  It goes up on a graph like steps,  some points spent do nothing or even worse you get less, but then a couple points later you see a bump up, then a few points spent nothing , then a bump up....

I took averages of 100 swings at each point spent on top of an imprinted ab anky on 2x.  I even did a test run at various stages on 1x to see if it averaged out occasionally and each time I got results that were predictable. I haven't tested above 1200 yet, but I run ones w/ over 1400% and i get more w/ those than i do w/ one at 700%.

Certain nodes like the element ore gives you quite a few different materials, I think* that reduces how much you can get on any one of those materials,  that's why it works better to take more swings at an element ore node as you just get more chances to get some. I found a good 20% more ore w/ just a primative pick over one i had over 200% damage.  I'd see much more ore if i got it from the higher damage pick, but i got less overall because quite a few nodes just dropped no ore.

For the OP , hand tools will always pale in comparison to animals except a few tiny exceptions.  High damage picks in the hands of a mantis is how we farm element on extinction.   Doeds, ankys are the main tools, but they all have their strong suits and it isn't always consistent which is used when.  like on aberration, doeds are fine for green and blue gems, but you have to use an anky for the red ones or a pick., maybe the new mining drill would be usefull i dunno.

Nice testing. My test does contradict some points though on rich metal nodes. On 2 x when i use 2 swings to smash node i got roughly 300 to 380 per rock with 400 melee ankylo. With 700 melee ankylo one hitting those node metal gains went to 240 to 280 per rock. On semi rich nodes it goes like you said, steplike curve. So for solo mining i will still recommend less points to melee and more to weight even if you whip them around.

4 hours ago, Luewen said:

Nice testing. My test does contradict some points though on rich metal nodes. On 2 x when i use 2 swings to smash node i got roughly 300 to 380 per rock with 400 melee ankylo. With 700 melee ankylo one hitting those node metal gains went to 240 to 280 per rock. On semi rich nodes it goes like you said, steplike curve. So for solo mining i will still recommend less points to melee and more to weight even if you whip them around.

I didn't get deep into different types of nodes, i just stuck with the ones I knew that appeared to match in results.  I did take some measurements of those golden looking ones but they are so rare on ab that I focused on the ones that are the most common.  Since as a dual farming situation, that works out great.

4 hours ago, HiImZech said:

there is a cut off point for anky's melee where it doesn't give as much anymore

so the rest of the points should go into weight

I think its about 500+ close to 600...can't remember the exact number

if someone knows please add it to the wiki. kinda sad to see beach bobs running around with a 1000% anky claiming its great

I dont' know about claiming it's great,  I'm saying it has a measurable increase on the semi rich nodes.  So for actual #s, at 695.5% damage i got 280.64 metal per swing avg.  At 729.8% 293.72 metal per swing on averate, this is a rate of about 13metal difference for a 34.3% difference.  Now up to 1422.5% damage it's 414.77 metal per swing on average with a 727 % difference from the 695.  This would suggest that the benefit of each point spent fell by approx. half over the course of upgrading the melee from 729.8 to 1422.5 . 

This does of course mean that given a huge amount just spent in melee, you could still swing close to half as often on aberration with melee up to 1700% versus, I'm happy with 600%.  Now value on those points spent?  I would suggest you look not just at the diminishing returns but how many swings it takes to knock out a 150 seeker or a reaper king that appears because you went afk and your bulb was recharging.   My 1422% anky won't take more than a swing or 2 on anything that comes upon it.  Now that's priceless.

PVE-steam official is already up to 739melee base.   I'm using not even using that , and we fill up 600 stacks in 15min.

Archived