Alpha Dragon options

PFM

Alpha Dragon options

So obviously the optimal option for the dragon fight is to have Therizinosaurs. The issue, for me, is that I dont want to start an entire therizino bloodline of taming a ton of high levels, breesing the best stats onto a single dino, duplicating that dino and mass breeding mutations etc etc. They're just not common dinos so taming enough high levels would take forever to find so many of them. Obviously you need to see tons of that dino to tame a ton of high levels specifically, but they're fairly uncommon dinos. 

So I'd prefer to use the Rexes that I have been using to streamroll the  other bosses. They hatch with 12.7K health and 432 melee and get to 1.1K melee and 21K health at max level. Of course, Rexes have that carnivore thing where they take more fire damage from the Dragon. Should I be able to do it with those Rexes? 

I figured the next easiest option would just be to use wooly rhinos. There's so many of them on the Center that it was actually really easy to tame enough of them to get a decent bloodline, and I just need to get the mutations going. Problem is, they got nerfed so hard in a recent patch and I don't know if they're actually viable anymore, and I dont want to get going with them just to realize they can't do it. 

So like, what should I do?

Try and replicate official server settings on your non-dedicated server and spawn in the same rex's you have, with the same saddles and set-up, then test it and see if it's possible because I've only done it with Theris, a Yuty and our ally snook a Giga in lol... I don't know how, I guess you just cryo it with 1 second or so left on the start. 

Hey! So i've recently killed the Alpha Meso, Spider and Dragon with rexes. The dragon is by far the hardest, they had 25k health and 1100% damage. Only 5 of them survived with a Yuti and Deadon. They also had saddles that where 100%+. I would consider that the bare minimum needed to kill the Alpha dragon. There is no point putting anymore points in to health as this boss fight is just a race to kill it before it lands 5 fire breaths. Maybe our Deadon wasn't great (50k food) but even if it was doubled maybe you would only be able to survive 1 more fire breath. 

Theriz do seem like the way to go, or Rhinos. If we failed we definitely didnt have any intention breeding up a Theri line, but we would have tried again and add in 3 Rhinos. We would have let the Rexes have at it and use the shotgun off of the back of the Rhinos. When their numbers drop and there is room to use the Rhinos charge attack we would just do that until it is dead. Try that and good luck!

9 hours ago, xYxBoomerxYx said:

Hey! So i've recently killed the Alpha Meso, Spider and Dragon with rexes. The dragon is by far the hardest, they had 25k health and 1100% damage. Only 5 of them survived with a Yuti and Deadon. They also had saddles that where 100%+. I would consider that the bare minimum needed to kill the Alpha dragon. There is no point putting anymore points in to health as this boss fight is just a race to kill it before it lands 5 fire breaths. Maybe our Deadon wasn't great (50k food) but even if it was doubled maybe you would only be able to survive 1 more fire breath. 

Theriz do seem like the way to go, or Rhinos. If we failed we definitely didnt have any intention breeding up a Theri line, but we would have tried again and add in 3 Rhinos. We would have let the Rexes have at it and use the shotgun off of the back of the Rhinos. When their numbers drop and there is room to use the Rhinos charge attack we would just do that until it is dead. Try that and good luck!

are rhinos viable anymore after the patch though?

Just go with rexes. 
1k+ melee will be fine for dragon. The higher the better tho.
Hp doesn't matter too much, since they take a percentage damage of their max HP

Rhinos are pretty much ass now. 

We used 80k HP 2.3k melee rexes + yuti and did the dragon in about 5 minutes or so, only 1 rex was at 50% hp, rest was barely touched.  This is obviously way too much HP, but my point is that 1k+ melee will be enough if you bring about 19 rexes . 

If you are starting from scratch with breeding, then Theris will take a long time to start up, since they take forever to tame. But once you have some with nice stats, it's the easiest breed ever. 
Their dmg output can't obviously not compare with rexes, but they have the advantage of healing with veggie cakes, which makes them super viable. 

Other than that, I don't see any other tames being nearly as good as theri or rexes.

22 hours ago, TraXz said:

Just go with rexes. 
1k+ melee will be fine for dragon. The higher the better tho.
Hp doesn't matter too much, since they take a percentage damage of their max HP

Rhinos are pretty much ass now. 

We used 80k HP 2.3k melee rexes + yuti and did the dragon in about 5 minutes or so, only 1 rex was at 50% hp, rest was barely touched.  This is obviously way too much HP, but my point is that 1k+ melee will be enough if you bring about 19 rexes . 

If you are starting from scratch with breeding, then Theris will take a long time to start up, since they take forever to tame. But once you have some with nice stats, it's the easiest breed ever. 
Their dmg output can't obviously not compare with rexes, but they have the advantage of healing with veggie cakes, which makes them super viable. 

Other than that, I don't see any other tames being nearly as good as theri or rexes.

Should i use 19 rexes and a yuty or 18 rexes a yuty and a daedon?

15 hours ago, PFM said:

Should i use 19 rexes and a yuty or 18 rexes a yuty and a daedon?

In my oppinion. Daedon is only good in between battles, to heal your tames up for the next round. 
They run out of food too fast and therefore only provide a short burst of heal. It can be usefull, but I would take another rex over daedon. 

If you can manage your rexes into 3 or 4 groups and attack it from different angles, so not all get burned. Then it should be easy. 

2 hours ago, TraXz said:

In my oppinion. Daedon is only good in between battles, to heal your tames up for the next round. 
They run out of food too fast and therefore only provide a short burst of heal. It can be usefull, but I would take another rex over daedon. 

If you can manage your rexes into 3 or 4 groups and attack it from different angles, so not all get burned. Then it should be easy. 

Ok we have finally got our Army back up to 18 Theri's with 21k health and 1000% damage. We going to level a bit on the other bosses before hitting the Dragon again. However I found the same thing with the Daedon. Since there are 2 of us I tend to run the Daedon and shotgun while my tribe mate Yuti's. Should we look at another option? Dont feel like wiping again and remaking those saddles as they take weeks.

1 hour ago, balrog said:

Which dragon?

You can go with Rexes on Ragna or Valg with your eyes closed but Island dragon is a different thing. You may loose your rexes there. Depends how often dragon will land. Therizino/daeodon/yuti + tame from which you can shoot is the way to go on the Island

The Island. 

Thanks, but I mean the whole point was that I didnt want to through the process of breeding up a good theri bloodline, I had already acknowledged that the theri is the best option. 

If you’re not doing it solo, a deinonychus can work wonders in basically any boss fight. There’s some cool strategies with deer and such but the safest option is just a group of any strong herbivores that can sponge up a lotta damage (rhinos, theris, even odd choices like mammoths, rats, or chalicos are possible). The deinonychus bites at its legs when it’s safe while the dragon fights the rhinos.

Just be aware the deinonychus has awful stats. I mean this thing is basically made out of paper. A good saddle and breeding works wonders as with every boss dino. 

Dragon on island is "behaving" weird some times.
Last week i did on official 2 alpha dragon bosses back to back with theries (19 theries and a yuty), no problem, in 3-5 minutes i beat dragon.
Today i did another alpha dragon, theries did almost no damage to dragon, half of them died in the first 1-2 minutes and the rest in less than 5 minutes.
Theries had 21k hp and 1900% dmg, 110+ saddles and 15 cakes each.
Whistles were on point, no theries on lava or something, they just did almost no damage to dragon and they start to die very soon for no reason i can think of, unless one of the last updates is the reason.
Anyone that did alpha dragon since the last updates that had similar problem or something?

On 5/2/2020 at 8:29 PM, Monde said:

Ok we have finally got our Army back up to 18 Theri's with 21k health and 1000% damage. We going to level a bit on the other bosses before hitting the Dragon again. However I found the same thing with the Daedon. Since there are 2 of us I tend to run the Daedon and shotgun while my tribe mate Yuti's. Should we look at another option? Dont feel like wiping again and remaking those saddles as they take weeks.

If you are going to use Theris, then don't use daedon... Just fill their inventory with veggie cakes.  20-30 each should be plenty. 

But yes, use the time it's flying to shoot with shotgun or position your tames, split them up so they all don't get burned and they have a higher chance of attacking it from different angles. 
With veggie cakes it's going to be no problem with the fire... 

I did the Dragon with my boss rexes for the same reason pretty much. I know theris are better but rexes are way easier to farm and I've been working on this line for ages. Just out of curiosity, why 21k HP with rexes? Theris use that number because it maxes efficiency on the cakes, but I've been running with 30k minimum on my rexes. I know it matters less for the Dragon but I wouldn't want to run the Tek cave/Overseer like that, maybe it's just me though.

Anyway, I would recommend just piling as much melee as you can on them and roll with what you've got. Since you have someone to ride the pig I would probably do that with the yuty and 18 rexes simply because that low HP isn't going to do you any favors if the battle runs long. I ended up not using my pig simply because I play solo and without a rider it's nearly useless in battle.

Keep working on those melee muts though, it makes a huge difference.

Archived