Problems hosting a server

Dwebtron

Problems hosting a server

My friends and I all just got into Ark this week since it's been on sale, but after trying for a few days I've been unable to get a dedicated server going. I'm using:

4-core Digital Ocean droplet with 8GB of ram and 60GB SSD / 1000mbps connection running Ubuntu 16.04

*Note ^ this server is internet-facing and is not local on my network. There's no router that I'm aware of / have control of. It has a static public-facing IP address.

I've followed a couple of guides and nothing seems to be working. I've got SteamCMD installed, Steam installed to a steamcmd folder, and ark downloaded. The game will "run" as far as I'm aware, and after two days of working on this I can even get the server to work on the Steam server browser as well as the Ark in-game browser. They both appear and they both prompt for our password. When entered, the game tries to connect, but NOBODY can connect and there's never anything in our server logs, as far as I can tell. When we try to connect the game will start loading and about 5 seconds later drop us back to the game browser with 2 different connection error messages (cannot connect to host & connection timed out, both in their own windows on top of each other)

I've tried:

* Verifying that the open file limit is raised. It's set at 200,000

* Verifying that the correct internet ports are opened. I've scoured the internet and opened every port I can find related to Steam and Ark. Eventually I disabled UFW

* Putting the rawsocket=true (and also false!)  in the DefaultGameUserSettings.ini file

There doesn't seem to be any sort of admin controls for this on the cmd, I can only launch it and check htop to see if the process started. Ok, fine, but if none of the logs are outputting anything useful - how do I know where this is failing? What can I check?

My log file looks like this (I removed the <myserver>/>mypw>/<mysession> names. Should myserver/mysession be the same?):

[2020.04.30-04.08.34:649][  0]Log file open, 04/30/20 00:08:34
[2020.04.30-04.08.34:649][  0]ARK Version: 310.47
[2020.04.30-04.08.34:649][  0]PID: 5526
[2020.04.30-04.09.10:697][  0]Primal Game Data Took 34.59 seconds
[2020.04.30-04.09.24:386][  0]Server Initializing with BattlEye Anti-Cheat Protection. If you do not wish to use BattlEye, please launch with -NoBattlEye
[2020.04.30-04.09.24:390][  0]BattlEye successfully started.
[2020.04.30-04.09.24:392][  0]bEnableMeshBitingProtection is True
[2020.04.30-04.09.47:042][  0]Server: "<myserver>" has successfully started!
[2020.04.30-04.09.55:859][  0]Commandline:  TheIsland?listen?ServerPassword=<mypw>?SessionName=<mysession>-server -log
[2020.04.30-04.09.55:859][  0]Full Startup: 82.57 seconds (BP compile: 0.00 seconds)
[2020.04.30-04.09.55:859][  0]Number of cores 1

18 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Have you specified the port numbers anywhere?
For example: ?RCONPort=27040?Port=7780?QueryPort=27020?

Yes, I've tried that, but I can try it again.

3 hours ago, thenatclanwy said:

Doesn't appear that you have a command line configured, which is where you specify the map, ports and several other parameters.

How do I configure this? Do you mean SteamCMD?

Update: I just tried that port number thing on the launch command. When the server started, Steam and in-game saw the server as expected, I input my password, and my game client started loading. It went for about 7 seconds and kicked back to the game menu when it said "Joining server...." and about 7 seconds after that gave me an error that it couldn't join. Edit: _ANOTHER_ 7 seconds later, I got another error message saying "timeout", as described in the original post above

3 hours ago, Dwebtron said:

Update: I just tried that port number thing on the launch command. When the server started, Steam and in-game saw the server as expected, I input my password, and my game client started loading. It went for about 7 seconds and kicked back to the game menu when it said "Joining server...." and about 7 seconds after that gave me an error that it couldn't join. Edit: _ANOTHER_ 7 seconds later, I got another error message saying "timeout", as described in the original post above

Are you using mods?

17 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Yes, I would expect them to be the same.

Can you post your entire command line (without passwords) please.  Someone might be able to see the problem.

the original (truncated) one is up above, but it changed a bit as per this thread, so here's the updated one:

ExecStart=/home/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer TheIsland?listen?RCONPort=27040?Port=7780?QueryPort=27020?ServerPassword=<mypw>?SessionName=<mysession>-server -log

things in the <> were removed by me and are regular char strings with no weird characters or punctuation.

You're missing a space before "-server".

I'm not sure if this applies to Linux, but when you use the command line on Windows, you need to wrap the config in quotes...
ExecStart=/home/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer "TheIsland?listen?RCONPort=27040?Port=7780?QueryPort=27020?ServerPassword=<mypw>?SessionName=<mysession>" -server -log

You might need to find a Linux command line example to get the quotes correct.

31 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

You're missing a space before "-server".

I'm not sure if this applies to Linux, but when you use the command line on Windows, you need to wrap the config in quotes...
ExecStart=/home/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer "TheIsland?listen?RCONPort=27040?Port=7780?QueryPort=27020?ServerPassword=<mypw>?SessionName=<mysession>" -server -log

You might need to find a Linux command line example to get the quotes correct.

There is one, it's just not showing on this forum.

I ended up giving up on this and switching to https://github.com/FezVrasta/ark-server-tools

Things seemed to work after that ?‍♂️

Archived