Tek Dedicated Storage - still theft friendly?

slejo

• Volunteer Moderator
14 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

the pin is not for preventing theft but to not trigger the bug where you accidentally unlocks the box when you dismount

the boxes has to be kept behind locked doors

This was fixed back in EA (June 2017, v260). Dismounting only interact with gates and doors, nothing else anymore. However, my point is that pin-coding doesn't prevent theft, but allows it. Hence why I strongly recommend against pin-coding anything that is important to you on an official server. Inside or not, people can easily find ways inside, as illustrated in the thread linked above.

37 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

This was fixed back in EA (June 2017, v260). Dismounting only interact with gates and doors, nothing else anymore. However, my point is that pin-coding doesn't prevent theft, but allows it. Hence why I strongly recommend against pin-coding anything that is important to you on an official server. Inside or not, people can easily find ways inside, as illustrated in the thread linked above.

https://imgur.com/a/jJiNwPp

you sure about that?

if you're wondering how these proves dismounting unlocks boxes they both run the same logic with the dino in question being treated as an obstacle as you press E

• Volunteer Moderator
30 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

https://imgur.com/a/jJiNwPp

you sure about that?

if you're wondering how these proves dismounting unlocks boxes they both run the same logic with the dino in question being treated as an obstacle as you press E

Yes I'm sure about that. That screenshot is something I addressed in the post I've linked. Dismounting is no longer triggering the structure you are looking at. The issue was that you dismount on keydown, and interact with the structure on keyup. They fixed it by ignoring that keyup interactions if that keydown triggered a dismount. Back in early days, you would open the inventory you were looking at while dismounting, and this was fixed. Only to say; pin-code at your own risk.

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

Yes I'm sure about that. That screenshot is something I addressed in the post I've linked. Dismounting is no longer triggering the structure you are looking at. The issue was that you dismount on keydown, and interact with the structure on keyup. They fixed it by ignoring that keyup interactions if that keydown triggered a dismount. Back in early days, you would open the inventory you were looking at while dismounting, and this was fixed. Only to say; pin-code at your own risk.

the fact of the matter is there's still a way to unlock a box when you didn't intend to. and the fact that a pin code is still going to help fight that. yes there's only 10k different combos but it at least forces people to take some time to crack that rather than just take it straight away

they can get very lucky with the pin yes but they are going to take a long time to find the right one

if these boxes are pin coded and behind locked doors the chances of them being hacked are lowered. unless...you gave them all the same pin. then in that case nothing's going to help you prevent theft.

you're advised to give every box a different random pin. and then change it up every once in a while.

The reason for pinning was because players can just use the wheel menu and select withdraw over and over again to bypass it being locked.

macros make short work of a 4 digit pin on pc,  I imagine the Xbox version has a bit of an advantage that it will naturally take a little more time to do the same thing but it’s still possible with enough time.

23 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

PC, but nothing prevent anyone from testing combinations manually on consoles as well.

You might not know this but... whip + tek pants.

Yea, I knew. But it was forgotten information. I can't even use my tek pants on my current character because my old one got deleted with that engram. Yet another reason for me to get my dragon fights up and running. (I've been gearing up for one because I've wanted the storage). Btw can anyone corroborate whether the storage is still broken? I was thinking perhaps the one that I found and was unable to take the fiber was because there wasn't a full stacks worth of fiber, as the glitch has to do with pulling up the wheel and selecting the withdraw stack option. If I had the engram I'd just set myself a honey pot, and come back with an alt character and see what is lootable...

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Yea, I knew. But it was forgotten information. I can't even use my tek pants on my current character because my old one got deleted with that engram. Yet another reason for me to get my dragon fights up and running. (I've been gearing up for one because I've wanted the storage). Btw can anyone corroborate whether the storage is still broken? I was thinking perhaps the one that I found and was unable to take the fiber was because there wasn't a full stacks worth of fiber, as the glitch has to do with pulling up the wheel and selecting the withdraw stack option. If I had the engram I'd just set myself a honey pot, and come back with an alt character and see what is lootable...

Yes, the issue was exactly that; others weren't able to open but were able to pull stacks from the radial menu. The patch notes says it was fixed, but I have no idea if this is the case or not as I haven't played the game in a while. Perhaps it is simply not retroactive and the ones already placed have to be manually locked or something?

8 hours ago, Luizza said:

I prefer stone builds and stick with it. The sound of metal is annoying and I find both tek and metal dark and gloomy. Stone is cheerful imo :)

(also I'm pve :p)

I use stone for large outdoor Foundation slabs but all buildings are metal and tek. Stone does look nice but I've seen wild gigas rip through stone like its butter. To each their own.

Also on pve

Archived