ark looks like doodoo

OhOk

First make sure that your system is up to date.

Especially your graphics driver and also chipset drivers for your board.

Then set the graphics default to epic via the in-game setup.

You should notice visible improvement / changes in the visual representation and effects.

Remember ARK is a very resource-intensive game.

Even above-average rigs have their performance problems with the highest settings of ARK.

17 hours ago, shadowkyuubi said:

you need to upgrade to at least 16GB of ram btw

in all honesty i really dont think you need much more than 8GB of ram, *cough* warframe ends up using more ram than ark does for me, would be using 16, but one of my sticks were faulty and was causing my pc to crash every 30 minutes, especially when im overclocking, one more thing i have 3000MHz ram but what i forgot to mention is that its overclocked to 3200, gpu is overclocked to the point that its an rx 590, its a very stable 1500MHz oc, the temp almost never rises above 55c. 

but like i said, im using the windows 10 edition, not the steam version, the gtx 1060 and rx 580 normally only can handle ark at medium graphics, but on windows 10 edition it easily handles max graphics, so either a. windows 10 edition is just more optimised, or b. it makes the graphic presets based on my gpu/cpu potential, im assuming its b. because thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

but again ark doesnt need that much ram, according to msi afterburner, it rarely uses more than 6GB, but according to task manager (obviously the more reliable source) showed that ark only uses like 2.6GB of my ram, another thing to mention, i played the game both with and without 16gb of ram, and i noticed 0 difference in game performance. 

the gpu is idling by either, 1080i it barely gets 60 fps in the open, in the forest maybe closer to 40fps. 720p is generally 70fps+. also, in my honest opinion, 1080p and 720p look extremely similar, but that may be due to the face that im using 1080i NOT 1080p (monitor is extremely ancient, like, 2008 ancient), and because the gpu isnt idling by, showing a picture wouldnt do any good, since most of you know what a gtx 1060/rx 580/rx 590 can handle

so i guess my question is, why does microsoft limit the max graphics you are able to acquire based on your gpu/cpu, but again this is all just a guess, and it is my only guess. at least the only one that makes sense 

*sorry for the late reply*

1 minute ago, Baklap said:

You can change the resolution and then there is also the resolution scale slider... 

Its just a tip, i know people forget that one sometimes.

yeah i know, its something a lot of people overlook, but the slider does adjust itself automatically, depending on your systems resolution, the games graphic preset, and your computer's capabilities 

On 4/29/2020 at 6:38 AM, DirkInSA said:

Isn't Win 10 version and XBox version the same release/build (I know this is where cross platform play works - so assume yes)? Which means your PC game is built for XBox hardware = crap :)

if that was the case then i would be running at 200 fps, its just ark being poorly optimised, i can run warframe perfectly fine at max graphics 4k 60fps, the steam version would look no better, the max setting is predetermined based on what gpu you have, for some reason ark is only optimised for xbox one x, and i dont know why

the steam version removes that predetermined limit, regardless of what gpu you have, i would play ark at 4k but my gpu goes OIFJKGHRGFLDGHO;LFKDGHJJ like most gpu's

edit: windows 10 edition and steam edition are both obviously the same build, so please, don't act like the steam version runs any better, stop fanboying lol

On 4/29/2020 at 6:38 AM, DirkInSA said:

Isn't Win 10 version and XBox version the same release/build (I know this is where cross platform play works - so assume yes)? Which means your PC game is built for XBox hardware = crap :)

you wont find a single person on the planet who thinks ark is a game built for the xbox one or ps4, because neither have the gpu or the ram for it.

6 hours ago, OhOk said:

edit: windows 10 edition and steam edition are both obviously the same build, so please, don't act like the steam version runs any better, stop fanboying lol

:) i ain't fanboying - don't give a damn either way :) However XBox and Win10 are open to cross play which leads me to believe they are a build from the same code base. Which code  MAYBE has limiting bits in the code around graphics. (Note a build Number has NO relevance to what codebase the code is built from - so Steam / Win10 can carry the same build number with the same patches & etc. - but be built from differing source)

I do however take your valid point that around FPS on a console rated game ....... Dunno ...... The only real way to get an objective comment is to run Win10 version & Steam version next to each other on equivalent machines. If the graphics is crap on both, the yes the graphics is crap!

On 4/30/2020 at 4:38 AM, OhOk said:

you wont find a single person on the planet who thinks ark is a game built for the xbox one or ps4, because neither have the gpu or the ram for it.

You must be new.

As others stated - the crossplay version is basically a ported Xbox version. I suggest if you want better graphics to buy the steam version. Otherwise you need to work with what you have. Insulting people will get you nowhere here.

Archived