Advice on server build

wizard03

Advice on server build

Allright guys, Im about to pop for my very first PC build, but would like some advice, thoughts, "CONSTRUCTIVE" criticism.

So Im looking at a  MSI MEG X570 ACE  motherboard
AMD ryzen 7 3800x cpu
Trident 64gb (32 x 2) DDR4 3600 ram
Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280  SSD
ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX 5500 XT 8G graphics card. {more on why this and only one}
Fractal s36 360mm all in one liquid cooler
and a EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GA, 80 Plus Gold 550W to power the whole sh-bang

Ill be dead nuts honest, Iv never built a pc before and while I keep hearing "ram speed and SSD speed" to run a dedicated server for ark, Iv never heard anything about the need of a overpowered GPU to get the job done. Ontop of that, I also heard that the CPU needs to be good, but not god like. I figure a gentle overclock combined with the correct hardware to work with the newer 4.0 pcie will get the job done.
Now Im NOT familiar with software in the lest.....BIO's, how to install windows 10, ect. ect. That's going to be its own grand adventure I suspect, but hopefully everything will play nicely with each other and Ill be able to get things going. But I guess time will tell, eh?

SO, anyone have any thoughts on the set up? Try to keep the lingo in caveman fashion please. Im a total noob to PC's. o.o

I run three maps clustered on a 7 year old laptop with 12Gb of ram ...... OK not a huge player base, but it all runs smoothly.

The MAIN ingredient for an Ark server is RAM - the more you got the better you will do. I rule of thumb figure on roughly 4 gigs per active map. GPU/Graphics is totally irrelevant, and pretty much any old abacus that can add 1 and 1 to get 2 will suffice.

Fast disks and CPU will influence start up times and maybe introduce a bit of lag on a server with a high population of players - but once again RAM is the thing!

Its what I figured....I got to asking around on linus tech tips just to see what they say, so far they are looseing their poop over the fact that Im looking at the x570 ace motherboard....also my ram size....apparently I was looking at a 64gb ram at 3600 hrz…..I didn't think it was that bonkers, but the more and more I look at it, the more I realize just how overkill I went on my looking around.

I wanna keep the motherboard, unless there is terrible support for it, I want that 4.0 PCIe, and the addition of the heatsinks for the chipsets....I like. :P As for RAM, I might dump the size down, but will keep the speed. Also that m.2......if I go for PCIe 4.0, might as well use it.

Archived