My PC is

CPU:i5 7600K@ 3.8~4.1Ghz (NOT OCed)

RAM: 8Gb

SSD: 128Gb (windows)

HDD: 1Tb(where ARK is installed)

PSU: ThemalTake 700W 80+

GPU:Msi Gtx950 2GbDDR5

I'm looking to change my GPU.

My goal is to get decent FPS @ 1080P Epic settings. (Currently gets like 20FPS lol)

Which GPU would be best fit for my system? ARKwise.

(I'm not looking at RTX series.)

i would pick a 1080(or 1070) , u can find them for "cheap" now and they are still kicking hard on pratically all game , but we dont know your budged

and just to be sure i would add more ram to your config 8gb in 2020 when u open 3 browser page and have like 6gb used is not very good (i need like 100000 windows with recipe dododex etc. but i have bad memory xD)

(last thing … when u can try pick a decent ssd to place game on it every single game benefit from being in an ssd even minecraft xD)

8GB of ram is surprisingly enough for ark (atleast 8GB ddr4 3200MHz ram is)

the rest of your specs are fine, but lets talk about your gpu.

the best mid tier gpu for price to performance is the rx 580 (believe me ive done at least 48 hours looking around in my own time), you can pretty easily get it for only $130 while something like a 1070 will cost $400+ for a 25% performance boost compared to the rx 580, the 1060 costs $200+ while actually being weaker than the rx 580, the 1660 super costs around $230 for a 20% performance boost give or take, the 1080 costs around $500+ for a 35% performance boost over the rx 580.

rx 580 $130~$170 (depending where you look) 100%

gtx 1060 $200~ 95-98%

gtx 1660 super $230~ 120%

gtx 1070 $400~ 125%

gtx 1080 $500~ 135%

my recommendation is the rx 580 because of its low price, but if you want that 1080p 60 fps, then your going to need either the 1660 ti or the 1660 super, so make your choice, buy the rx 580, or pay those few extra dollars and get those precious frames that you are looking for (in all honesty ark at 720p looks about the same as 1080p and the rx 580 runs ark like a champ at 720p)

one last thing to mention, since one of my 8GB sticks of ram ended up being faulty i have to run ark with only 8GB instead of 16, and it runs exatly the same, so no need to waste money on ram as ark uses about 5.5GB to 6GB according to msi afterburner, but acording to task manager, it only uses 2.6GB, while running ark im left with 35% of my ram

I'd also say up the RAM, but that wasn't the question so let me show you this beautiful website: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/

It shows you the specs of the different GPUs compared to their price and since it's done by users you have the 'real' values when using them.

Since you have low FPS: Did you look at the resource-manager of your taskmanager and check if your GPU is really at 100% load?

I have 16GB of RAM and when I get close to my base with ~60 Dinosaurs standing around I get 20 FPS as well for half a minute and my GPU is bored as hell, can only assume that my RAM's MHz is too slow :/

23 hours ago, Tician said:

I'd also say up the RAM, but that wasn't the question so let me show you this beautiful website: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/

It shows you the specs of the different GPUs compared to their price and since it's done by users you have the 'real' values when using them.

Since you have low FPS: Did you look at the resource-manager of your taskmanager and check if your GPU is really at 100% load?

I have 16GB of RAM and when I get close to my base with ~60 Dinosaurs standing around I get 20 FPS as well for half a minute and my GPU is bored as hell, can only assume that my RAM's MHz is too slow :/

sorry to get off topic but, that might actually be a cpu issue, it might be having trouble with dealing with all those physics from all those dinos, ram frequency only makes a huge difference when you dont have a lot of it, like when you only have 8GB, i mean.. unless you have 800MHz 16GB of ram.. then i doubt its your ram.. 

I just think the game is poorly optimized, here's a screenshot (idk why it changed the resolution), but basically my usual 90 FPS dropped to 30 when the metheorites in the lunar-biome started shooting upwards into the sky. None of my CPU-cores are at max, my GPU is barely at 10%, RAM is at 12/16 and my harddrives are bored as well - idk what else it might be, the PC itself is rather new and runs everything else without issues.

Image 2020-04-28 at 21.00.10.jpeg

12 hours ago, HiImZech said:

try running the console and type

t.maxfps=60

see if you get better performance on cpu.

ark is made to push fps all the way to 200 minimum even though there's not a need to all the time.

its just ark being cancer, sometimes it wants to put a cap, other times it doesnt, typing in that command usually does reomotely nothing for me when it does cap at 30, but lately it hasnt been doing that.

Archived